Wheel Hub Bearing?

Hey guys, I am a little stumped here. I am doing maintenance on the JK before I trip I have planned next week. When I got around to the front passenger side to check the ball joints and wheel hub bearing, the bjs looked good, no movement. However when I check for movement on the wheel hub bearing I am getting some back and forth movement at the top of the wheel. No other issues like grinding or noises. The thing is I just replaced this hub assembly 6,500 miles ago with a new Timken assembly. Could it have failed that quickly? Is there something else I should be looking at?

Hey guys, I am a little stumped here. I am doing maintenance on the JK before I trip I have planned next week. When I got around to the front passenger side to check the ball joints and wheel hub bearing, the bjs looked good, no movement. However when I check for movement on the wheel hub bearing I am getting some back and forth movement at the top of the wheel. No other issues like grinding or noises. The thing is I just replaced this hub assembly 6,500 miles ago with a new Timken assembly. Could it have failed that quickly? Is there something else I should be looking at?
Make sure knuckle bolts, axle nut, and lug nuts are tight. But otherwise, sounds like it's a bad bearing.

Checked the lug nuts. Good idea on the others. Anyone ever seen one wear out that soon?
My JKU tends to eat up hubs with the wheel/tire combo I have. I've tried Timkin in the past and they did not last the year, they are not what they use to be and because I ordered online getting the warranty honored was a waste of time. There are also 2 part numbers, supposedly a light duty and heavy duty but I think it's just some cross over from Jeep axle types.

I'm now using Spicer (summit has the best price), they also have a 48" ABS cable which provides plenty of slack.

My JKU tends to eat up hubs with the wheel/tire combo I have. I've tried Timkin in the past and they did not last the year, they are not what they use to be and because I ordered online getting the warranty honored was a waste of time. There are also 2 part numbers, supposedly a light duty and heavy duty but I think it's just some cross over from Jeep axle types.

I'm now using Spicer (summit has the best price), they also have a 48" ABS cable which provides plenty of slack.
Cool. I'll look into the Spicer hub once I rule out any loose bolts. Thanks for the heads up!

Top Bottom