What would you do? *Unfixable JKU issue*

WJCO

Meme King
Why not just keep your half doors and have them buy you full doors? If the issue is worse than they fucked something up. And if they have had it that many times and had people flown in and still no issue, take it to another place. Clearly they don't know what they are doing.

It's a leak, it's not rocket science.

^^This is what I would do. Takes the headaches out of the equation and helps find the actual problem. Even if they won't buy the doors for you, try to find a used set for cheap even if color doesn't match just to see if it fixes the leak.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'd personally take a look at the swap. I kind of did that on my own, with my 2012, when I found a bad weld at the rear lower control arm. I was trying to get it fixed, & after nearly 2 months of the runaround, I got a new Jeep for exactly what I told him I'd pay for it, and got exactly what I wanted in trade for my old one.

geberhard

Douchebag
Agree with comment "it is a leak it is not rocket science"... Have you tried doing a leak test yourself? I.e. run the jeep through a car wash or use a higher pressure hose and monitor were the leak is at? To me it looks like a common windshield and door alignment issue, what is extremely common on TJ's and YJ's. the hard fact is that upper soft doors will leak if not properly alligned and will leak eventually as the rubber seal hardens up.

My recommendations as far as your WWYD question:

1- do a leak test, check the leak spot location, it will likely be at the upper edge between the soft upper and windshield.
2- re-align windshield, loosen bolts on both sides and spreader bar and push to tighten gap
3- re-bend the upper corner on the upper slightly (this is normally teh easier fix on TJ's
4- If none of the above work, add a small strip of adhesive (I have done these on hardtops to address leaks between the front windshield to hardtop edge). Simple video of what I am talking about here, and if you have not yet, this is a simple approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAQi4Uzi8PY

Good luck!

Gui

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Why not just keep your half doors and have them buy you full doors? If the issue is worse than they fucked something up. And if they have had it that many times and had people flown in and still no issue, take it to another place. Clearly they don't know what they are doing.

It's a leak, it's not rocket science.

I tried that, the dealership was game but because it is through Chrysler, they said no go. Jeep Corporate is considering the half doors a defective part and have to take them out of circulation. In order for me to get steel doors, Jeep wants the half doors. Also, I can no longer take it to another dealership under warranty. Because this offer was their resolution to the issue, they will no longer work on the leak under warranty.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I did a MSRP swap on another brand(not jeep). I got a new car 2 years newer and with 30,000 miles less. All payments I had made went to new car. I kept the same payoff date. I was upside down in my old car now I'm now in the positive!

If this is the case, then that is a good deal. I'll hopefully hear something from them soon! The question still remains if they will reimburse mods. The service manager said they will, but doesn't know how much or up to what amount. Either way, they could easily just say no when I get the call from ISG.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Agree with comment "it is a leak it is not rocket science"... Have you tried doing a leak test yourself? I.e. run the jeep through a car wash or use a higher pressure hose and monitor were the leak is at? To me it looks like a common windshield and door alignment issue, what is extremely common on TJ's and YJ's. the hard fact is that upper soft doors will leak if not properly alligned and will leak eventually as the rubber seal hardens up.

My recommendations as far as your WWYD question:

1- do a leak test, check the leak spot location, it will likely be at the upper edge between the soft upper and windshield.
2- re-align windshield, loosen bolts on both sides and spreader bar and push to tighten gap
3- re-bend the upper corner on the upper slightly (this is normally teh easier fix on TJ's
4- If none of the above work, add a small strip of adhesive (I have done these on hardtops to address leaks between the front windshield to hardtop edge). Simple video of what I am talking about here, and if you have not yet, this is a simple approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAQi4Uzi8PY

Good luck!

Gui

No leak test needed. Water comes in from everywhere now. The front corner of each door leaks a steady stream, and the top of each door, front and rear, leak like a waterfall in the rain so badly that your legs get soaked while driving in a very short amount of time. I am going to try to do the weatherstripping like in the video and see what happens. The doors have been adjusted multiple times as well, to no avail. I agree it's not rocket science, but nothing has worked to stop it yet and in fact has gotten worse. They way I see it, I may as well try doubling up the weatherstripping now, it's not like it's going to do any harm and they will no longer work on the half doors under warranty. It rained last night and I woke up to a soaked drivers seat, so I am going to do the weatherstripping today and wait for it to rain again.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
^^This is what I would do. Takes the headaches out of the equation and helps find the actual problem. Even if they won't buy the doors for you, try to find a used set for cheap even if color doesn't match just to see if it fixes the leak.

I may do this, take the steel doors and just buy some half doors and have them painted to match. We'll see what ISG has to say first, as I am expecting a call from them in the next few days. If I don't like the swap deal they offer, I can always just take the doors. The thing that bothers me about that is there is still no guarantee the steel doors will fix the issue. They still have never looked at the top.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Google online for hidden recalls. My wife's Honda Civic had one at the time with her tranny. They are out there.

We argued with dealership and corporate. I finally said put it back together roll it out and I will never buy a Honda again. They called back and fixed problem with warranty. Replacing tranny and instead of paying over $2500 paid $250.

Last edited:

geberhard

Douchebag
Cool, please reply back after you do teh weatherstrip trick. If you go on the youtube link look to the right and there are loads of other videos and posts on people having similar issues on JK's. That sucks to hear if jeep ends up discontinuing the half doors, it is a blow for the whole Jeep community as many dig the half doors. I have been trying to locate half metal doors in CA locally but to no avail, will probably become one of those rare items :)

Appreciate you reporting back, hoping the weatherstrip does the trick!

kyle521

If you do a msrp swap why dont you just swap the mods from the current jeep onto the new one then the stock parts from the new jeep onto the old one?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Just an update, but I finally heard back from Chrysler with their offer. The offer they laid on the table is this; anything up to the full MSRP of my Jeep when it was new, all we will pay is what we currently owe. Anything more expensive, we are also responsible for the difference. As far as the modifications on my Jeep go, as long as I can provide a valid receipt (which I have the receipt to every bolt that has gone on this rig), they will reimburse full price and put it towards the new Jeep as well. Not a bad deal at all in my opinion. I am just waiting to see f we will be required to choose something off the lot or if we can order something the way we want. The lots around here are flled with 50K Willys and Rubicons, so I would prefer to order.

Now, I have another question. Has anybody purchased a Black Bear edition with the optional rear locker. I noticed on Jeeps website that, while most models are available with the trac lok rear LSD, the Black Bear Edition is available with the Tru Loc rear locker. This may be my answer if I can order, as I could get a factory rear locker, modify it to at least the way my current rig is now, and stick with 35s for the time being (the BB still has a D30 front axle). Then, by the time I need to change tires again, I could have a PR44 up front and jump to 37s. Thoughts? Anyone purchase one with the rear locker? Thanks for the input.

Ddays

Hooked
Damn, that's a pretty good deal, especially if you can order to your liking. as long as you're ok with losing your sweat equity for installing all of the mods that's an easy deal to take.

Sorry, can't help with the locker questiontho...only thing I'm not sure about with the BB edition is the big sticker on the hood....depends on your cup of tea.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Awesome Joe! Now you need to take a break from. All of this stress, drive out to Colorado so we can do a switcharoo with our parts before you make this happen.:) In all seriousness can't wait for the new build. Really liked your current one a lot.

eddy

Sounds like they are trying to take care of you. The MSRP swap is a good thing. Hemi swap:thinking:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Damn, that's a pretty good deal, especially if you can order to your liking. as long as you're ok with losing your sweat equity for installing all of the mods that's an easy deal to take.

Sorry, can't help with the locker question tho...only thing I'm not sure about with the BB edition is the big sticker on the hood....depends on your cup of tea.

I'm OK with loosing the labor I have put into it, only for the fact that working on my jeep is like therapy to me. It would give me a chance to start fresh, and I think I would do a few things differently this time. As far as the BBE hood decal, I'm completely with you on that one. Luckily, it does not come standard with it, so if I get to order, I can choose not to have it. Its actually an almost 400 dollar option! :shock::grayno: If I can order, I would choose no hood decal and likely replace the Wrangler hood decals that comes on it with the same ORE type of ORE decals I have on my rig now.

Sounds like a good deal

I am thinking so too, as long as I can order and am not stuck choosing between a 45-50K Willys or stripped out Rubicon. Literally, saw several Willy's with the Mopar lift at the same dealership yesterday for 52K! :crazyeyes:

Awesome Joe! Now you need to take a break from. All of this stress, drive out to Colorado so we can do a switcharoo with our parts before you make this happen.:) In all seriousness can't wait for the new build. Really liked your current one a lot.

LOL! I wish brother! Id love to come up to Colorado again. It has been one of the best states I have lived in thus far. Beautiful places to explore and the fishing was great! I have to say though, I still do like my current rig, and it's why i'm still a bit conflicted. I guess with the deal they offered, if I can get something with a factory rear locker (or lockers), then it will make me more willing to start over again. I saw a Renegade in Mojave Sand yesterday, which will be available on the Wranglers soon. Its a great looking color that I would seriously consider. I also saw a Hydro Blue rig yesterday and have to say, that's a pretty damn sexy color. Pics online do not do it justice. Thoose are probably my 2 favorite colors right now, other than the option to go granite Crystal again.

kyle521

I dont see why they wouldn't let you order one. Or at least find one sitting on another dealer's lot

Top Bottom