What was done to your rig this week?

Breer

Caught the Bug
Thanks to Disciple Offroad, finally got the Nitto tires I've had stacked in the living room since March 2023!

Before: ...................................................................................................... After:
Looks awesome! So much more room for activities! 😂

GP NOIR

Hooked
Can anyone explain to me how the Snap-On Guy was able to convince me to buy a $600 torque wrench?? Please use small words.

Torqued the Bank 2 cam caps and phasers and reinstalled the valve covers. Removed valve cover on Bank 1, replaced rockers and lifters and the exhaust cam phaser. Yep, just the exhaust.

PRO TIP: Inventory all parts before beginning a project. For example, if you order a set of cam phasers, which consists of 2 intake and 2 exhaust phasers, it would suck, after working all day and well into the night in freezing temperatures in an unheated ramshackle shed, to discover the parts store sent 1 intake and 3 exhaust phasers and the parts are now out of stock.

Not that such a thing actually happened. No sir, not to me. But I do need to run to a local parts store to see if they have an intake cam phaser to have a spare. Just in case. Work will continue today. If I can get a "spare" phaser, I'll be able to start buttoning everything back up.

Can anyone explain to me how the Snap-On Guy was able to convince me to buy a $600 torque wrench?? Please use small words.

Torqued the Bank 2 cam caps and phasers and reinstalled the valve covers. Removed valve cover on Bank 1, replaced rockers and lifters and the exhaust cam phaser. Yep, just the exhaust.

PRO TIP: Inventory all parts before beginning a project. For example, if you order a set of cam phasers, which consists of 2 intake and 2 exhaust phasers, it would suck, after working all day and well into the night in freezing temperatures in an unheated ramshackle shed, to discover the parts store sent 1 intake and 3 exhaust phasers and the parts are now out of stock.

Not that such a thing actually happened. No sir, not to me. But I do need to run to a local parts store to see if they have an intake cam phaser to have a spare. Just in case. Work will continue today. If I can get a "spare" phaser, I'll be able to start buttoning everything back up.
The Project Farm guy did find that the Snap-On torque wrench is very very good. But Craftsman brand did just about as well. For some reason, he does not test Tekton.

I hope that you find a spare phaser. Having a dud and national backorder sounds horrific.

GP NOIR

Hooked
The Project Farm guy did find that the Snap-On torque wrench is very very good. But Craftsman brand did just about as well. For some reason, he does not test Tekton.

I hope that you find a spare phaser. Having a dud and national backorder sounds horrific.
We recently bought a Craftsman torque wrench for the hangar. It's accurate enough, but the ratchet mechanism keeps jamming up.

I did find another phaser at Auto Zone. Got it installed, torqued and the valve cover on. Now I'm getting the wiring harness and hoses reconnected. Gotta find some flex hose to repair the vacuum lines. After more than 10 years they're brittle and cracked easily when I moved them out of the way.

Removing the cams to replace the rockers, lifters & phasers was easy. It's disassembling everything to get to the cams is the hard part.

Jeeptime

I have a $229.00 Craftsmans Torque wrench and I thought that was crazy. Does torque to 250 LBS . I have one that I got at Harbor Freight Tools for $59.00 but only goes to 100 lbs, but works great.
I am sure the quality and warranty on you $600.00 is worth it. Plus its a Snap-On.:)

Breer

Caught the Bug
Painted some things. Feel like it went well, only my second time ever painting and I didn't have any runs this time. Painting outside here is a challenge, bugs, dust, leaves... But I think it looks great and glad I did it myself. I adopted the 10ft rule when building my CJ5, which was the only other thing I have ever painted. Before there was a bunch of weird things happening like this on the hood, cowl and fenders:
1000004176.jpg
1000004177.jpg
And now

1000004466.jpg

1000004465.jpg
Bought a new jk grille that has the stock inserts similar to a JL to try and painted that too, hopefully it'll look good but if not I will just put my original one back on.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Had to replace the fuel injector connectors on the right bank and all six ignition coil connectors. The fuel injector connectors were a pain in the ass, but the coil connectors were very easy. Repaired a few wires with cracked insulators and rewrapped a good part of the wire harness with cloth electrical tape. It's going real slow, but progress is being made. The things I do just to save a few thousand bucks.

jeeeep

Hooked
Nitrogen filled the shocks, greased up what needed to be greased, replaced a couple of zerks (need to clearance the top of the mounts where the zerks hit).

Need to figure out how the rear brake lines are supposed to be routed with EVO's high clearance LA, the bracket on both sides look like they've been hitting the sway bar links, when fully drooped (articulated) to one side or the other, the brake lines looked too taught.

Top Bottom