What the FAD looks like

kevman65

Hooked
Funny, for all the complaining we've done about this little guy, has anyone ever heard of one breaking?
Buddy's JL had the fork shear off on a wimpy fire road. He wasn't happy. Did the FAD delete as soon as the parts came in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It seems I may have lost about 2 MPGs with the delete. Surprised that the one small section added so much more rolling resistance.
I believe it. In addition to improved fuel economy, I really like how it keeps the front drive shaft from spinning. This helps me to set more caster and without having to worry about driveline vibes on a u-joint style shaft or premature wearing of the CV boot on a factory shaft.

JimLee

Hooked
Going to watch the video where Jim and Eddie talk about it again. I’m not understanding this. Lol
Think about how a normal open differential works, it's going to connect the side with no traction. When your FAD is disengaged you have no traction on that side however the wheel end isn't connected so it doesn't spin the diff = no driveline spin. Now that you've got a solid shaft on both sides, no matter which side the diff uses the shaft is spinning = driveline spin. In simple backyard mechanic speak.

Think about how a normal open differential works, it's going to connect the side with no traction. When your FAD is disengaged you have no traction on that side however the wheel end isn't connected so it doesn't spin the diff = no driveline spin. Now that you've got a solid shaft on both sides, no matter which side the diff uses the shaft is spinning = driveline spin. In simple backyard mechanic speak.
Of course, thank you, not sure why I didn’t consider it as a normal diff. Lol

Top Bottom