What rear bumper/ tire carrier?? Opinions please!

So after lifting my jku sport and getting a set of 35's, I need a tire carrier to mount my spare on. I'm looking at the teraflex HD hinged tire carrier, the new poison spyder single action tire carrier/ bumper, and the aev tire carrier/ bumper. They all look nice and I'm sure all work great (even though teraflex had one break that I've heard of) here's a few shots of what I'm looking at incase you haven't seen them
Poison spyder
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369115139.650997.jpg
AEV (won't look good with flat fenders)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369115313.753771.jpg
Teraflex
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369115394.564488.jpg

And here is my jeep for reference
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369115424.545224.jpg

Thanks guys!

Teraflex hinge + EVO MFG d rings for max clearance, AEV if you're going to keep your fenders stock, PSC if you're you gonna go flat flares.

I personally like the poison spyder the best of three you have listed. Have you seen the LOD bumper/carrier? I'm not sure if you narrowed it down to these three or not but a lot of people seem to really like their LOD bumpers.

Don't kid yourself, there have been more than one TF hinge break out there and really, I'd like for someone to prove to me why one is even necessary. The factory hinges are a lot stronger than what some would try and suggest and I have yet to see a single one fail. The only reason why you should get the weight off the tailgate is to prevent the possibility of damage due to the spare catching on a rock or ledge and prevent the breaking of spot welds on the sheet metal - both of these things I have seen on more than one occasion.

Teraflex hinge + EVO MFG d rings for max clearance, AEV if you're going to keep your fenders stock, PSC if you're you gonna go flat flares.

I guess a good question is, what's the best all around one for on road and off road? (nothing too serious)Out of the teraflex and poison spyder because I'm going to want flat fenders.

I personally like the poison spyder the best of three you have listed. Have you seen the LOD bumper/carrier? I'm not sure if you narrowed it down to these three or not but a lot of people seem to really like their LOD bumpers.

I have seen the LOD bumpers and I have to say, I am not a fan. Just not into how they look

Don't kid yourself, there have been more than one TF hinge break out there and really, I'd like for someone to prove to me why one is even necessary. The factory hinges are a lot stronger than what some would try and suggest and I have yet to see a single one fail. The only reason why you should get the weight off the tailgate is to prevent the possibility of damage due to the spare catching on a rock or ledge and prevent the breaking of spot welds on the sheet metal - both of these things I have seen on more than one occasion.

We all have our opinions and I respect yours along with everybody else's on this and other forums. I don't think I will be wheeling hard enough to possibly get my spare to catch on a ledge but it is a good point, you never know what will happen. I understand you do NOT like the teraflex carrier due to some design flaws but for my uses, I think it would be fine. Between the poison spyder and aev, what do you believe would be a Better choice for daily driving and off road trips, nothing to serious but possible camping in the future. I really like the flat fender look but I don't mind stock fenders either

Thank you for your input,

Sean

I guess a good question is, what's the best all around one for on road and off road? (nothing too serious)Out of the teraflex and poison spyder because I'm going to want flat fenders.

The best tire carrier in general is one that gets the spare OFF the tailgate and onto the frame via bumper or spread across a supporting frame and for that, the PS would be the way to go between the two. I personally wouldn't waste my money on the TeraFlex carrier EVEN IF I personally hadn't seen one break so easily. There is no proof that one is needed to carry a big spare, it'll still leave you open to tailgate damage if you really wheel your Jeep and, for the lofty price tag, there are much better options available to you. But, that's just my opinion.

The best tire carrier in general is one that gets the spare OFF the tailgate and onto the frame via bumper or spread across a supporting frame and for that, the PS would be the way to go between the two. I personally wouldn't waste my money on the TeraFlex carrier EVEN IF I personally hadn't seen one break so easily. There is no proof that one is needed to carry a big spare, it'll still leave you open to tailgate damage if you really wheel your Jeep and, for the lofty price tag, there are much better options available to you. But, that's just my opinion.

Thank you for your input, hopefully I'll decide on bumper/ tire carrier soon and get it on the jeep to continue my build!

Thanks,
Sean

We all have our opinions and I respect yours along with everybody else's on this and other forums. I don't think I will be wheeling hard enough to possibly get my spare to catch on a ledge but it is a good point, you never know what will happen. I understand you do NOT like the teraflex carrier due to some design flaws but for my uses, I think it would be fine.

As mentioned, EVEN IF you'll never wheel your Jeep hard enough to matter or there weren't obvious design flaws in the TeraFlex carrier, it's still a lot of money for something that I simply have not seen a need for. In over 6 years, I have yet to see a single hinge break due to a large spare. I have seen plenty of people carry large spares on their stock tire carrier and without any issue to the hinges.

Between the poison spyder and aev, what do you believe would be a Better choice for daily driving and off road trips, nothing to serious but possible camping in the future. I really like the flat fender look but I don't mind stock fenders either

The AEV bumper is easier to open and operate. For daily driving, it might be the better choice. Another choice would be the Expedition One bumper as it is similar in function.

I'm running a JCR bumper and swinging carrier. I went with this because of the mount for the high lift jack. It's a nice one very strong so far. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369119208.520405.jpg

I run the GenRight Tire Carrier and Rear Bumper. Bumper has 4 led backup lights and the Carrier can hold up to a 42" tire and can easily mount a Hi-Lift or Ropax cans.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1369149621049.jpg
    1369149621049.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 276
I run the GenRight Tire Carrier and Rear Bumper. Bumper has 4 led backup lights and the Carrier can hold up to a 42" tire and can easily mount a Hi-Lift or Ropax cans.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks great! How much does one of those run? Thanks for sharing.

I'm running a JCR bumper and swinging carrier. I went with this because of the mount for the high lift jack. It's a nice one very strong so far. View attachment 31044

Is it a big pain in the ass to open the carrier and then the tailgate with full hands or not too bad? Thanks for sharing

Looks great! How much does one of those run? Thanks for sharing.

Is it a big pain in the ass to open the carrier and then the tailgate with full hands or not too bad? Thanks for sharing

It can be done with one hand. And there is a pin on the hinge that keeps it from swinging open to far. I still hold on it it when I open it because it is heavy.

OR-Fab Carrier With Smittybilt XRC Bumper. I'm not a huge Smittybilt fan but the rear bumper does its job and I like the look. I picked the carrier because I liked the way it held the cans, shovel and ax mount along with the strength. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369160206.394700.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369160280.901997.jpg

Looks great! Do you have an side shots that show how far the or fab carrier sticks out from the tailgate? Thanks for sharing

i dont have shots but i have seen one this weekend on Mikefishes rig and it doesnt sit out far at all, maybe 2' without and 3' with the can. they have a jerrycan version and a non jerry can version.

Sort of a side shot. Hopefully you can gauge how much it comes out. If you order the Or-Fab carrier with the RotoPax cans it does not stick out as far as the one with the standard metal Jerry cans. I think it's 4 inches less with RotoPax. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369161001.167993.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered the evo tire carrier last week after a long time researching. Originally was going with the poison spyder. I spoke with posion spyder and they are in the works of a tubular carrier but are unsure of a release. I would go poison spyder between your choices.

I ordered the evo tire carrier last week after a long time researching. Originally was going with the poison spyder. I spoke with posion spyder and they are in the works of a tubular carrier but are unsure of a release. I would go poison spyder between your choices.

I though PS came out with a Bumper/carrier recently. it was tied into the tailgate door and opened with the door latch itself..

Myself, I'm going EVO Armor and carier with minimal bumper (Maybe a angle iron welded across the top to reinforce the frame across the back above where the tow bracket is) and EVO "D" rings for the frame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom