What Impact Driver Are You Using?

NME

So I know that the Milwaukee Fuel is amazing, but there are a lot of things I need to replace/repair on my Jeep and I am not 100% sure I can justify to myself spending over $300 on an impact driver. However, I do have a lot of work that needs to be done so having an impact driver would be nice, so here I am once again taking to the forums to see what you guys are using with success and reliability on your Jeeps.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Milwaukee is 100% worth the price. It makes the job a lot easier if you can have all the power of an air or electric impact without the air line/ power cord dragging behind you. Plus easy to bring on the trail. Just keep a couple batteries charged and it will keep on going. [emoji106]

Edit: if you watch on Home Depot’s website they usually have sales on them or tool packs with the impact included for good deals. I bought a tool pack for Black Friday this last year and it included the impact for a pretty good price.

Last edited:

MericaMade

So I know that the Milwaukee Fuel is amazing, but there are a lot of things I need to replace/repair on my Jeep and I am not 100% sure I can justify to myself spending over $300 on an impact driver. However, I do have a lot of work that needs to be done so having an impact driver would be nice, so here I am once again taking to the forums to see what you guys are using with success and reliability on your Jeeps.
Its worth every penny if you get the big dog Milwaukee.

Sent from my SM-G996U using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I bought the makita impact since I already had a lot of makita tools and it does the job for me. I would prefer the Milwaukee but didn’t want 2 sets of batteries and chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

NME

Milwaukee is 100% worth the price. It makes the job a lot easier if you can have all the power of an air or electric impact without the air line/ power cord dragging behind you. Plus easy to bring on the trail. Just keep a couple batteries charged and it will keep on going. [emoji106]

Edit: if you watch on Home Depot’s website they usually have sales on them or tool packs with the impact included for good deals. I bought a tool pack for Black Friday this last year and it included the impact for a pretty good price.

They currently have a deal right now but it is the brushless I think? Or maybe just the regular impact driver and not the fuel. Can I get away with the entry/mid model?

NME

Its worth every penny if you get the big dog Milwaukee.

Sent from my SM-G996U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Don't get me wrong, I definitely plan to get one, but if I can get away with the entry level/mid-range impact so I can funnel more money into the repairs/upgrades that would be desirable. If I have to wait for the fuel and just wrench it I can hang on for a bit. Been wrenching all my vehicles my whole life anyways. I just watched the video Eddie posted replacing his tie rod and draglink and saw that Milwaukee just beasting through everything. Made me really want one. Lol.

Last edited:

Bullwinckle

Hooked
They currently have a deal right now but it is the brushless I think? Or maybe just the regular impact driver and not the fuel. Can I get away with the entry/mid model?

Not too sure ...if you plan on using it like your saying I would just go with the high torque just for the fact you’ll have that extra power if needed.

jdofmemi

I made the mistake of trying to go light and ended up buying the 1/2" high torque Milwaukee. It is worth it, and has fine enough control you can do small bolts without hurting them, plus do all the big ones too.

That and a 1/4" impact driver with the right set of bits, extensions, and wobbles can take apart the entire Jeep.

Don't make my mistake and think you can get a 3/8 gun and get by. It won't do it. The standard 1/2" will do some, but you will be disappointed.

But once, cry once. Go get the right tools, they Are still cheaper than paying someone else to do the work.

zimm

Caught the Bug
The Milwaukee Fuel's are so nice. I left one on my bumper and drove to the store. (She gone!). And bought an identical replacement.

Stick with the M18 family and you can add more and more "bare tools" which are much cheaper without having to buy extra batteries and chargers each time. You don't need the top of the line one with bluetooth, etc just get the basic one.

For the Jeep- get the compact 1/2" impact. I was using the 3/8" for a long time and it had the power to do lug nuts until I had to change a tire while off-roading and I guess the nuts were too tight. Little guy just didn't have the oomph at the worst possible time.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Consensus is the Fuel M18 brushless. I bought the 1/2" a few years ago and wondered why in the hell it took me so long to get one. The batteries last forever and tools take a beating. They have a really nice family of tools to go long with the impact too.

kevman65

Hooked
Get the Milwaukee 1/2" with friction ring and 1400 ft/lbs, buy once cry once. When things start start getting rusty and cruddy you'll be glad you bought it.

You can find the charger and batteries on Amazon cheaper than buying it all in a kit.

J&k_Overland

I have the 1/2” Milwaukee too it’s amazing. Makes light work of everything. I also use a craftsman bit driver it’s ok but it’ll end up getting replaced. The other electric fastener I use is the snap on 3/8 ratchet amazing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jamesish

Slowly enters and then leaves unnoticed with something key lime and black...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Make sure you get the brushless Milwaukee. I have an older brushed motor one and it doesn’t stack up to the brushless ones.

SSRuger

I have 3 different milwaukee impacts and the the one I use the most is the little M12 Fuel 3/8 drive just because it's so small and compact. I also have a 1/2 drive mid torque and 1/2 drive big and usually grab the big boy over the mid torque if the little M12 didn't cut it. I am looking at getting one of the new mid torque ones in the near future though since they made them more compact with a bit more power.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug

I use an old Hitachi that does the job. But it's starting to suffer from wear/use.

Recently purchased a Milwaukee impact driver and it is AWESOME! Tons of torque, almost too much in some instances. Works great.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Consensus is the Fuel M18 brushless. I bought the 1/2" a few years ago and wondered why in the hell it took me so long to get one. The batteries last forever and tools take a beating. They have a really nice family of tools to go long with the impact too.

This ^^^^ :yup:

jdofmemi

I have all Milwaukee and couldn’t be happier. That said, I spent many years wrenching but hand doing lifts, axle swaps and everything in between.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Do you ever wonder how you had the patience for all those bolts with hand tools only?

Like you, I did everything by hand until a few years ago. Now I hate doing anything without the right power tool.

Top Bottom