What do you make of this?

Prepping the Jeep for a trip to Prison Hill and was looking things over underneath. Found a lot of grease strewn around the front CV joint of the front driveshaft. Took it off to inspect it and found the boot to be dirty but in food shape with no cuts or tears. The odd part (to me at least) is that the inner portion of the output flange has a bunch of grease in it. The grease that was strewn all over the place came from there and not the driveshaft. Should there be grease inside there?

Thanks!

IMG_4429.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4425.jpeg
    IMG_4425.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4428.jpeg
    IMG_4428.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4430.jpeg
    IMG_4430.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 21
Same exact thing happened to my JK not too long ago. It was chucking grease and made a popping noise between 1st and 2nd gear. My Jeep is my daily driver and my budget was tight at the time so I just replaced the CV joint with a Dorman one for the time being, it's held up so far.

I found the issue was actually my front caster, putting too much stress on my front shaft and putting it at a really poor angle under articulation. After shortening my front LCA's a bit, it's at a less stressful position now, but man as soon as I can set aside the money I'll be picking up 1350 shafts for piece of mind.

Save your pennys for an aftermarket shaft. Yours is on the way out.
Leaky Worn Shaft…. It happens.
Centrifugal force is a mighty thing. If there is a way out, it will find it. Things are wearing out. Get ready for an expense.
Same exact thing happened to my JK not too long ago. It was chucking grease and made a popping noise between 1st and 2nd gear. My Jeep is my daily driver and my budget was tight at the time so I just replaced the CV joint with a Dorman one for the time being, it's held up so far.

I found the issue was actually my front caster, putting too much stress on my front shaft and putting it at a really poor angle under articulation. After shortening my front LCA's a bit, it's at a less stressful position now, but man as soon as I can set aside the money I'll be picking up 1350 shafts for piece of mind.
Thanks guys, figured it was going out but was pretty confused how the grease made its way into the output flange. Glad its just the shaft, I was concerned it was something worse.

Just leaving it off for the trip there and back and will use it while on the trail.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom