What did Brown Santa show up with today..

Brown Santa showed up with a woody today... and then hit me up for more fees for crossing the border.

Tom woods driveshaft looks great. Sadly I ripped my ring and pinion apart between ordering the new driveshaft and delivery of the driveshaft...

So now I'm waiting for a few more weeks for a new complete axle assembly to show up, instead of replacing diff parts again.

Sent from my SM-G870W using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Brown Santa showed up with a woody today... and then hit me up for more fees for crossing the border.

Tom woods driveshaft looks great. Sadly I ripped my ring and pinion apart between ordering the new driveshaft and shipping of the driveshaft...

So now I'm waiting for a few more weeks for a new complete axle assembly to show up, instead of replacing diff parts again.

What happened?

What happened?
Drove over the snow bank from the snowplow to get in my driveway.... I have no clue why it ripped 3 teeth of the ring gear. Had I been driving it like a lunatic or wheeling the crap out of it I could understand, but seriously my 14" snow bank?!?

So instead of paying a shop to replace the whole front end for near half the price of a new axle... I decided to spend some money that I did not want to touch.

Sucks but I need it to be reliable for my wedding in moab at end of April.20170207_112553.jpg

Drove over the snow bank from the snowplow to get in my driveway.... I have no clue why it ripped 3 teeth of the ring gear. Had I been driving it like a lunatic or wheeling the crap out of it I could understand, but seriously my 14" snow bank?!?

So instead of paying a shop to replace the whole front end for near half the price of a new axle... I decided to spend some money that I did not want to touch.

Sucks but I need it to be reliable for my wedding in moab at end of April.View attachment 243202

What size tires and what gear ratio? I did that same thing once on a low mileage sandrail but I was pushing 400hp on a stock VW transaxle. I revved up the engine and dumped the clutch. It was a sudden amount of torque to the ring gear resulting in the same thing.

Sucks but I need it to be reliable for my wedding in moab at end of April.View attachment 243202

Could have just been a freak occurrence. Maybe all the hard wheeling you had previously put it through, it was on the verge of chipping and that was the last straw.

What size tires and what gear ratio? I did that same thing once on a low mileage sandrail but I was pushing 400hp on a stock VW transaxle. I revved up the engine and dumped the clutch. It was a sudden amount of torque to the ring gear resulting in the same thing.
4.88 and 35's on the dana 30

Dealership did the regear so I'm not sure what they used for brand. It was a few years back too.

Houston I'm sure it could have been a last straw kind of situation as well but sadly it's not the first time I've had that 30 grenade so I'm not willing to fix it again.

Time to go with a prorock 44 :)
Can't do the PR44 unfortunately. The $1000 difference at this particular point in time was not feasible. .. quite frankly I didn't want to spend what I had to to get the Core 44. Canadian costs for imported parts is full retard, and my play money is at a low point due to the wedding costs. I am dipping into funds I did not want to touch for many years as it is.

Can't do the PR44 unfortunately. The $1000 difference at this particular point in time was not feasible. .. quite frankly I didn't want to spend what I had to to get the Core 44. Canadian costs for imported parts is full retard, and my play money is at a low point due to the wedding costs. I am dipping into funds I did not want to touch for many years as it is.

ProRock vs wedding? What shit are you smoking?

I'm not too familiar with the usual appearance of the TJ diff but what shot out of that and made a hole that big? ??

I'm not sure, I was so busy at work I wasn't able to help him change it, he just replaced the whole thing. I'll have to go look sometime. I was thinking it was the round pin in the spider gears but not being a mechanic not sure if this axle even has that in it?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm not sure, I was so busy at work I wasn't able to help him change it, he just replaced the whole thing. I'll have to go look sometime. I was thinking it was the round pin in the spider gears but not being a mechanic not sure if this axle even has that in it?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, looks like the spider gear crosspin came out.

Top Bottom