What are people paying for beadlock mount and balance?

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
I just moved to Utah after living overseas for the last several years. When I lived in Colorado in 2017 I payed $70 per beadlock for mount and balance. I just had a shop here in UT charge me over $500 to mount 4 37" Stt Pros on ATX Slabs. Is this within the normal range? Or should I avoid this place in the future?

Thanks for the input! I'm excited to be back home and wheeling in the rocks again 🇺🇸

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I just moved to Utah after living overseas for the last several years. When I lived in Colorado in 2017 I payed $70 per beadlock for mount and balance. I just had a shop here in UT charge me over $500 to mount 4 37" Stt Pros on ATX Slabs. Is this within the normal range? Or should I avoid this place in the future?

Thanks for the input! I'm excited to be back home and wheeling in the rocks again 🇺🇸

Welcome back. Afghanistan? Looks like they saw $$$ signs.:yup: Should have just done it yourself. When I mounted my 37" STT's on Machetes they didn't need balance. It is time consuming but $500 could buy something else.

bmkrinne

I paid $240 (2 hrs shop labor) for the local Offroad shop to swap my five 37” STT pros from my old wheels to the new KMC beadlocks. With my bad back, it was a no brainer!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jesse3638

Hooked
I dont know about the swap but when I first got my wheels and tires the one shop I found who would do them wanted $25 a tire to mount them. This was 9 years ago though. As mentioned if you have the ability just do it yourself. When I swapped mine it took me about 45 mins a wheel once I got into a rhythm.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It's a lot of work, not hard work but time consuming to install bead locks and most shops won't even touch them. With that said, that sounds like a bit much.

jdofmemi

I have found that nobody around here will even touch them... Even my DOT approved internal bead locks!

I do most of my mounting and dismounting on my own now. When I am done I take the tires/wheels to Les Schwab to be balanced because our Discount can't do anything over a 37. :(

Here is the tool I use to dismount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERQ68BC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's a good tool to have. Thanks Byron. I may have to get myself one.

$50 to $75 per tire sounds reasonable, $125, out of line. Save the money next time, buy the right tools and do it yourself. Then if things go wrong on the trail, you know how to fix it.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Damn $500 that’s a lot. I would of walked with that price. I would of much rather bought a 12 pack of beer and have a friend come over and help. [emoji106]

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Around here(Chicagoland) it's 1 shop hour a piece to unmount/mount new and then balance. So roughly 5 wheels/tires for $625

jeeeep

Hooked
as others have said, time consuming but not too difficult except STT pros have a much thicker bead than BFG and takes a little more work.

sometimes I do think it would be worth the cost to let someone else do it but then I get the quote lol

how long did it take to get all 5 done?

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Damn $500 that’s a lot. I would of walked with that price. I would of much rather bought a 12 pack of beer and have a friend come over and help. [emoji106]

Yea agreed. After watching Mel and Eddie mount his 42s (? if I remember correct) I'd buy a case of beer and mount on a nice weather day.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I paid $50 per wheel to mount and balance on beadlocks a couple of years ago. More recently, when I got new tires, I did the work myself. It was gratifying to do it once, but I think I’ll just pay someone else next time.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
I have found that nobody around here will even touch them... Even my DOT approved internal bead locks!

I do most of my mounting and dismounting on my own now. When I am done I take the tires/wheels to Les Schwab to be balanced because our Discount can't do anything over a 37. :(

Here is the tool I use to dismount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERQ68BC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks like a solid tool. I've mounted beadlocks and it was not bad. Dismounting the old tires has always been what has discouraged me from doing it myself.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
It's a lot of work, not hard work but time consuming to install bead locks and most shops won't even touch them. With that said, that sounds like a bit much.

PHP:
It definitely seems a bit excessive on cost.. Whenever the day comes that I'm not working 70 hour weeks I will start doing it myself. In the meantime, I think it's time to find another shop in the area.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug

That was my mistake. I just wanted them on for the weekend. I just dropped them off and didn't even ask about the price. I just figured it couldn't be more than $100 a tire lmao. Lesson learned. People in the area regard this shop like it's the end all be all. Definitely not for me with prices like that.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
as others have said, time consuming but not too difficult except STT pros have a much thicker bead than BFG and takes a little more work.

sometimes I do think it would be worth the cost to let someone else do it but then I get the quote lol

how long did it take to get all 5 done?

They said a bit over an hour on labor per tire. They only did 4 because fedex lost the 5th tire....

Top Bottom