What are Jeep factory tolerances of the upper and lower ball joints?

DaBank

Does anyone know what max factory tolerances are that Jeep would replace ball joints under warranty?

CalSgt

Hooked
How much play is there?

seems like I’ve found a spec somewhere but can’t remember where. I stuck a magnetic dial indicator on the axle ‘C’ and measured off of the wheel lip.

DaBank

My Jeep is at the shop having a few repairs done and was going to have my ball joints done and was told they are fine. Below is what the service manager sent me and I am just wondering if these are at the bottom of the tolerances level?

(We did not find any play in the U-joints. The lower left front ball joint has .022 inches of axial movement, the lower right front ball joint has .008 inches of axial movement, the upper left front ball joint has .004 inches of radial movement and the right front ball joint has .004 inches of radial movement. All measurements were within specifications.)

rubiDave

I wouldn't replace if less than 0.050. In any case, good luck with warranty replacement as they're a wear item and will go bad eventually.

WJCO

Meme King
Does anyone know what max factory tolerances are that Jeep would replace ball joints under warranty?
JK is around 0.060 (about 1/16"). I assume you're asking about JL/JT since you're asking about warranty. I'm not sure if it's the same.

With that being said, if you are having a certain symptom, and the tech really believes that ball joints will fix it, they'll make up a good warranty story for factory to cover. Happens all the time.

Top Bottom