Watcha cookin'?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hmmmm, my inlaw's has some pretty sizable venting on the back that I would think would keep it from getting to that 650-750 sear / pizza sweet spot. I've never used it for a high temp cook so I stand corrected.

Regardless, I love their traegar for smoking, it's damn near foolproof.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dafaq? You sear at 750? That's more than a sear.

swampdog

Dafaq? You sear at 750? That's more than a sear.

15-20 sec a side using the reverse sear method at around 650-750 gives a great sear. Most steakhouses will cook the steak at around 750 in a IR broiler, but on my grill I've found the reverse sear (cook at around 300 until about 6 degrees before ideal temp, pull meat and let grill raise to 750, then sear) produces the most consistently cooked inside while still getting a slight crust on the outside.

Brute

Hooked
15-20 sec a side using the reverse sear method at around 650-750 gives a great sear. Most steakhouses will cook the steak at around 750 in a IR broiler, but on my grill I've found the reverse sear (cook at around 300 until about 6 degrees before ideal temp, pull meat and let grill raise to 750, then sear) produces the most consistently cooked inside while still getting a slight crust on the outside.

750 & above is the way to go for pizza...comes out great on the green egg, in about 90 seconds...

RUBEERCON

I have to agree the pellet grills are not the best for searing, but they are king for convenience.
My Green Mountain pellet grill is a set it and forget it smoker, great for brisket and pork buts. It only maxes out at 540 so I rarely use it for anything but smoking. I like it because you dont have to tend to it, just select a low temp, fill the hopper and come back to it 12 hours later. It's even too slow on 540 when trying to feed a hungry crowd burgers quickly.

I have a gas assist charcoal Webber Performer and a char-grill lowes knock off Akorn that I love for searing, smoking and grilling. I'm sure I would enjoy a Green Egg but I had to go the cheap route.

My family still owns Coastal Gas Grills but we quit producing them a few years ago. Our natural gas grills would peg 750 no problem, we sold replacement knobs often because the heat would deform them. Best steak cooker I have ever used! Anyone ever heard of a Coastal? We sold a ton in the southeast all the way down into Florida.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475637833.750794.jpg

bthomas

That's a pretty useful nugget of info, thank you for taking the time to post that. I keep flip flopping between a pellet grill and an egg, probably the knock off. It seems both have their advantages. As far as pellet grills, I was looking at green mountain. Maybe I need a pellet grill and a replacement for my old Weber kettle from who knows when, it's falling apart! It still works though. I finally figured out how to do some shorter smokes with it like ribs, chicken, and turkey. This is a 16 pound bird from last Christmas, it BARELY fit in the ol' kettle! IMG_1475640869.942754.jpg IMG_1475641083.575775.jpg

I have to agree the pellet grills are not the best for searing, but they are king for convenience.
My Green Mountain pellet grill is a set it and forget it smoker, great for brisket and pork buts. It only maxes out at 540 so I rarely use it for anything but smoking. I like it because you dont have to tend to it, just select a low temp, fill the hopper and come back to it 12 hours later. It's even too slow on 540 when trying to feed a hungry crowd burgers quickly.

I have a gas assist charcoal Webber Performer and a char-grill lowes knock off Akorn that I love for searing, smoking and grilling. I'm sure I would enjoy a Green Egg but I had to go the cheap route.

My family still owns Coastal Gas Grills but we quit producing them a few years ago. Our natural gas grills would peg 750 no problem, we sold replacement knobs often because the heat would deform them. Best steak cooker I have ever used! Anyone ever heard of a Coastal? We sold a ton in the southeast all the way down into Florida.
View attachment 225663

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

RUBEERCON

Wife made roasted red pepper, Italian sausage and 4cheese ravioli with pesto.

All store bought items but it still hit the spot tonight!

Angry Aussie

IMG_1477529331.564697.jpg
IMG_1477529342.396915.jpg

Smoked a 15lbs brisket on Sunday. It was awesome. Didn't even last 30 minutes once I sliced it, my friends ate all of it. I thought for sure I'd have leftovers but that wasn't the case. Next time I'll invite fewer people over.

Doing a pork butt this Sunday. Can't wait.

Top Bottom