Watcha cookin'?

Brute

Hooked
Brute. Can you post your recipe. Those look great!
I do things a little differently than the recipe which I note below...

Cream of Turkey Soup Topped with Puff Pastry

Ingredients:

5 ounces unsalted Butter
1 large Onion, finely chopped
8 oz White Mushrooms, sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste
½ cup Flour
8 cups Chicken Stock (adjust to your liking)
2 medium Carrots, finely diced
2 stalks Celery, finely diced1 Leek, thinly sliced (white and light green only)
2 medium Potatoes, diced
1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, adjust to taste
1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon Garlic finely chopped
2 cups approx. Cooked Turkey, diced
1/2 cup Heavy Cream

For Egg Wash:
3 Egg Yolks
1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
Puff Pastry Sheets (for topping)

Directions:
1. In a large soup pot, melt 5 ounces butter over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onion to the pot, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until it becomes translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the sliced mushrooms season them with salt and pepper and sauté them to remove excess moisture and browned. Add the flour, mix well to cook flour a couple minutes and then slowly add the Stock using whisk to incorporate smoothly, two large ladleful's at a time.
4. Back in the soup pot, add the finely diced carrots, celery, leek, and diced potatoes.
5. Add cumin, Cayenne pepper, and fresh thyme leaves to the pot.
6. Add the garlic and cook for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
7. Add in the turkey and cream and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
8. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.

Preheat Oven to 400°F (200°C)
1. Prepare the puff pastry for the soup bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream to create an egg wash.
3. Ladle the creamy turkey soup into oven-safe bowls or ramekins, leaving some space at the top.
4. Roll out puff pastry sheets and cut circles slightly larger than the diameter of your bowls. Place the puff pastry circles on top of each bowl, pressing the edges to seal.
5. Brush the puff pastry with the egg wash to give it a golden color when baked.
6. Place the bowls on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the puff pastry is puffed up and golden brown.
7. Carefully remove the soup bowls from the oven (they will be hot), and serve immediately. You can cut a hole in the puff pastry lid for a decorative touch, and enjoy!

Note: You can adjust the thickness of the soup by adding more chicken stock or cream, depending on your preference.

This was a recipe to use leftover turkey...but I use boneless/skinless chicken thighs and cook them in the chicken stock for 40 minutes (skimming constantly) until done; remove chicken to a bowl and strain stock through fine mesh strainer into a saucepan, keeping warm. when the chicken has cooled, cube.

I use the Pepperidge Farm puff pastry; there are two sheets in each box; you will need three boxes to cover six bowls/small cast iron skillets, unless the bowls are smaller at the top but deeper; you may get two tops from each sheet. You buy them frozen; defrost just enough to unfold without breaking.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
I do things a little differently than the recipe which I note below...

Cream of Turkey Soup Topped with Puff Pastry

Ingredients:

5 ounces unsalted Butter
1 large Onion, finely chopped
8 oz White Mushrooms, sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste
½ cup Flour
8 cups Chicken Stock (adjust to your liking)
2 medium Carrots, finely diced
2 stalks Celery, finely diced1 Leek, thinly sliced (white and light green only)
2 medium Potatoes, diced
1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, adjust to taste
1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon Garlic finely chopped
2 cups approx. Cooked Turkey, diced
1/2 cup Heavy Cream

For Egg Wash:
3 Egg Yolks
1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
Puff Pastry Sheets (for topping)

Directions:
1. In a large soup pot, melt 5 ounces butter over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onion to the pot, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until it becomes translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the sliced mushrooms season them with salt and pepper and sauté them to remove excess moisture and browned. Add the flour, mix well to cook flour a couple minutes and then slowly add the Stock using whisk to incorporate smoothly, two large ladleful's at a time.
4. Back in the soup pot, add the finely diced carrots, celery, leek, and diced potatoes.
5. Add cumin, Cayenne pepper, and fresh thyme leaves to the pot.
6. Add the garlic and cook for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
7. Add in the turkey and cream and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
8. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.

Preheat Oven to 400°F (200°C)
1. Prepare the puff pastry for the soup bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream to create an egg wash.
3. Ladle the creamy turkey soup into oven-safe bowls or ramekins, leaving some space at the top.
4. Roll out puff pastry sheets and cut circles slightly larger than the diameter of your bowls. Place the puff pastry circles on top of each bowl, pressing the edges to seal.
5. Brush the puff pastry with the egg wash to give it a golden color when baked.
6. Place the bowls on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the puff pastry is puffed up and golden brown.
7. Carefully remove the soup bowls from the oven (they will be hot), and serve immediately. You can cut a hole in the puff pastry lid for a decorative touch, and enjoy!

Note: You can adjust the thickness of the soup by adding more chicken stock or cream, depending on your preference.

This was a recipe to use leftover turkey...but I use boneless/skinless chicken thighs and cook them in the chicken stock for 40 minutes (skimming constantly) until done; remove chicken to a bowl and strain stock through fine mesh strainer into a saucepan, keeping warm. when the chicken has cooled, cube.

I use the Pepperidge Farm puff pastry; there are two sheets in each box; you will need three boxes to cover six bowls/small cast iron skillets, unless the bowls are smaller at the top but deeper; you may get two tops from each sheet. You buy them frozen; defrost just enough to unfold without breaking.
Sounds delicious. Thank you for reminding us that bowls coming out if a 400° oven will be hot...haha

Brute

Hooked
Sounds delicious. Thank you for reminding us that bowls coming out if a 400° oven will be hot...haha
I taught my youngest daughter how to make a Dutch baby…she has TWICE grabbed the skillet that came out of a hot oven after setting it on the stove…

Top Bottom