Warn Winch Wiring

Why1504

Caught the Bug
I got my winch installed a couple of weeks ago. Initially I didn’t like how I ran the power wires. I re-ran them this evening. This is on a 392.
Here is my question, is this the best way? I could use some advice on the best way to get the positives wire not running across the battery. I have plenty of slack on the negative. I am pretty sure I can cable tie it up to take up the slack. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6078.jpeg
    IMG_6078.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 13
Damn the TJ and YJ had a 392 option...?

Looks fine to me. Looks like you won't have to worry about them rubbing either thanks to the felt shielding over the battery. My battery tray looks like a rats nest with its wires going in every direction. Not a problem.

JimLee

Hooked
You might want to consider a shut off/ relay/ interrupt anyway. Then you mount your shutoff /relay/ interrupt where the cables can reach it easily and the relay to your aux switches. That's a lot of current that can flow through those cables. Do you really want a shorted winch or chaffed cable to fry your entire electrical system?

Why1504

Caught the Bug
Just reran them for the 4th time. Pretty happy with this. They don’t seem to get in the way anywhere. I will look into the shutoff.

Attachments

• IMG_6079.jpeg
    IMG_6079.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 17

Why1504

Caught the Bug
You might want to consider a shut off/ relay/ interrupt anyway. Then you mount your shutoff /relay/ interrupt where the cables can reach it easily and the relay to your aux switches. That's a lot of current that can flow through those cables. Do you really want a shorted winch or chaffed cable to fry your entire electrical system?
JimLee, is this what you are talking about from a shut off switch? My biggest issue is figuring out where to mount it. It looks like I could wire this into my factory aux switches and control it from inside the Jeep.

JimLee

Hooked
That's exactly what a ton of people use. Some people don't use anything but IMO it's a necessary safety precaution. If there's a short in your power line that solenoid will overload and open, theoretically and hopefully before your battery is toast. I've seen pictures of a guy who melted a whole fuse box after shorting a winch power cable to ground, that was connected directly to his battery. Also, it is not unheard of to have a solenoid in the winch controller stick. Imagine you are using a winch in a nasty situation and the retract solenoid sticks or fuses itself closed. Now the only way to stop your winch is disconnect power while the vehicle is still being pulled. Pushing a button seems a lot easier and safer to me than trying to open the hood and disconnect a cable from the battery in an emergency. These kind of examples may be very rare, but they've happened to other people before. I'd imagine for most people protecting a 392 would be worth the small price of having a disconnect. It's your Jeep and your money, so in the end it's your decision. I just saw your pics and kinda recoiled at seeing you connected directly to the battery. If I burn my Sport to the ground it's a bummer, if you burn down a 392 it's a tragedy.

CalSgt

Hooked
If there's a short in your power line that solenoid will overload and open, theoretically and hopefully before your battery is toast.

Thats not how solenoids work... Solenoid does same job a a relay, basically a powerful switch mechanism. It will keep circuit intact until it is switched off, fails, or disconnected.

Circuit breakers, fuses, and fusible links are used to open a circuit under direct short.

JimLee

Hooked
Thats not how solenoids work... Solenoid does same job a a relay, basically a powerful switch mechanism. It will keep circuit intact until it is switched off, fails, or disconnected.

Circuit breakers, fuses, and fusible links are used to open a circuit under direct short.
You are correct, my bad, that's what I get for typing half asleep.

Top Bottom