Warn VR8000-S Question

CarolinaJK

There's actually a 8274 for sale around me. Wants $450. But it looks pretty (i mean really) beat. I also looked at the Quadratec, but have gotten mixed reviews so figured I'd stick to Warn.

TheFett

Yes the VR series is Chinese made just like your Quadratec, smittybuilt, etc. I would go with the M series instead

Well CRAP!!!! Seriously man!?!......Just another darn reason why I shouldn't buy things before I check it out on this forum FIRST!

I've gotta say though, having it now for 2 years and only having used it 4 times, it has performed each and every time without hesitation, but dang it man! Now I'll definitely need a [emoji482] tonight while explaining to the wife why I need a new winch [emoji57]
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446235469.361720.jpg

CarolinaJK

Well CRAP!!!! Seriously man!?!......Just another darn reason why I shouldn't buy things before I check it out on this forum FIRST!

I've gotta say though, having it now for 2 years and only having used it 4 times, it has performed each and every time without hesitation, but dang it man! Now I'll definitely need a [emoji482] tonight while explaining to the wife why I need a new winch [emoji57]
View attachment 171692

Now that's funny! [emoji23]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As others have mentioned, I personally would recommend getting something like an M8000 over a VR series winch. The later is WARN's Chinese winch and they don't have the reliability of their premium U.S. made winches. I understand that budget is always an issue but a winch is a piece of safety equipment and I personally would save up until you can afford something you can trust over something that is cheap. If it were a parachute, would you cheap out on it? While you may only need it once, "knowing" that it will work will make it worth every penny. Just my 2¢

WJCO

Meme King
As others have mentioned, I personally would recommend getting something like an M8000 over a VR series winch. The later is WARN's Chinese winch and they don't have the reliability of their premium U.S. made winches. I understand that budget is always an issue but a winch is a piece of safety equipment and I personally would save up until you can afford something you can trust over something that is cheap. If it were a parachute, would you cheap out on it? While you may only need it once, "knowing" that it will work will make it worth every penny. Just my 2¢

Indeed. Well worth the extra money when it comes to winches.

CarolinaJK

And your 2¢ will go a long way! Thanks for the advice! I'll probably go with the M or the 8274[emoji106]🏽

Ddays

Hooked
Regarding the synthetic vs steel cable: I watched someone take out their rear window on a pickup with steel cable after it snapped and vowed to never use it again. Thankfully no one was hurt but a snapped cable is a potential killer.

Ddays

Hooked

:cheesy:

This was me reading this forum the first month!

image001 (2).jpg

Anyone want to buy a Teraflex tire carrier?

toxicwaste29

I got a vr for the cheaper cost and since I use it maybe once a year living out east. The nearest offroad park or anything is a 6 hour drive. Anyways I always thought it would be enough. I used it hard last time I went wheeling and it doesn't meet my expectations at all I'm looking for another warn when funds come available. In fact the line was bad so I haven't even felt the need to replace the line on the spool. I've been daily driving without a line on the spool for a couple months now.

daverawr

So luckily I got this warn winch with my Jeep when I purchased it 5 months ago, from what I know warn doesn't sell them brand new anymore but I can attest that this thing works really well the 2 times I used it. One time was stuck in deep mud and didn't have anyone else with me and hooked it up to a big construction vehicle and had a good long pull on it with no hesitation.

But I was thinking of upgrading but not sure really how good this winch is. If anyone has insight please let me know. Sorry for hijacking the thread

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446259330.585381.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446259345.669884.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446259360.487660.jpg

Havoc40

My budget was soaked up quick with the last phase of my build. I contemplated saving some $$ and going with the M8000-S as well. Couldn't bring myself to buy a VR series. From the reviews I've read, the M8000 is a pretty good winch for the price. I decided to save a little bit longer and buy a Zeon 10-S instead though. I've only had a chance to use it around the house pulling shrubs so far lol

It does look pretty good out front :D
2015-10-30 23.47.27.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
My budget was soaked up quick with the last phase of my build. I contemplated saving some $$ and going with the M8000-S as well. Couldn't bring myself to buy a VR series. From the reviews I've read, the M8000 is a pretty good winch for the price. I decided to save a little bit longer and buy a Zeon 10-S instead though. I've only had a chance to use it around the house pulling shrubs so far lol

It does look pretty good out front :D
View attachment 171735

I see you saw that bright light too. The voice that says listen to impulse rather than anything else. Welcome to the club. It is one badass winch isn't it? Like I said in a previous post, the Zeon is mainly purchased because it looks so sweet ! With that winch, you'll be begging your neighbors to help pull out shit that doesn't even need to be pulled out !

Last edited:

CarolinaJK

I see you saw that bright light too. The voice that says listen to impulse rather than anything else. Welcome to the club. It is one badass winch isn't it? Like I said in a previous post, the Zeon is mainly purchased because it looks so sweet ! With that winch, you'll be begging your neighbors to help pull out shit that doesn't even need to be pulled out !

This is all too true. Makes me want a Zeon or Powerplant up front. But, in all honesty, I'll probably use it 5 times in my life so can't make myself spend quite that amount [emoji385][emoji107]🏽

ShotgunExpresss

How easy would it be to rebuild a 8274? Or possibly have someone do it for me?

If you are mechanically inclined enough to hook up a set of jumper cables you can rebuild a Warn 8274. You'll need a very basic tool set with a pair of external snap ring pliers, and 4oz of heavy weight gear oil and 2oz of tranny fluid mixed together to pour back in the case. You can build one from scratch off of eBay, every piece is for sale new and used. The only thing I'd recommend changing is upgrading to a newer style 500 amp contactor which is also available on eBay for 65.00 The design hasn't changed since 1974, it's the B52 bomber of winches. I think it's won every winch shootout since its development. Best investment you'll ever make for your jeep and the only one that will hold its value.

bouche03

View attachment 171692

Hey man-your winch line is not on the drum properly. It should spool out from the bottom of the drum and you have it spooling out over the top of the drum...You may want to address that, as you are creating a more extreme angle on the line...

Top Bottom