WARN PP 9500 vs 12000 and where to buy?

FeltsYouUp

I'm looking to start doing some work to my jeep soon, all stock now, and one of the first mods I'm looking for is a good winch. I know the PowerPlant is an expensive option, but seeing as I don't already have an air system on my jeep, I figure it's not that bad in the end. With that being said, those of you who run the PP, do you see any reason why I would need a 12000 over the 9500? I have a four door, and I know I don't need that much capacity for myself, but I was wondering if it would come in handy in situations where say a friend has burried his full size truck in a mud hole.

From quadratech, the 12000 is $100 more. Right now they have a rebate for a basic WARN recovery kit, so I was thinking about ordering one soon. Have any of you had issues with quadratec, or know other vendors that might have a better deal on the PP? Thanks all!

P.S. - Bumpers and rock rails will be going on at the same time, soon to be followed by lift and tires.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
A rule of thumb is your JK's weight x2, but here's what a 9500 can do for you on a JK weighing north of 6,000lbs.

Last edited:

FeltsYouUp

I'll have to watch the video when I get off work, and yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing. I might not need the extra capacity, but for another $100 it doesn't seem like a terrible idea. I'm also counting on this winch lasting a LONG time!

Prime8

I have the PowerPlant HD. It wasn't necessary, but I was looking for a used one and the hd was the nicest I could find. Looks and functions like new and only cost me $1k. Saved $750!!! Check Craigslist in your area, you might get lucky too.

FeltsYouUp

I have the PowerPlant HD. It wasn't necessary, but I was looking for a used one and the hd was the nicest I could find. Looks and functions like new and only cost me $1k. Saved $750!!! Check Craigslist in your area, you might get lucky too.

Thanks Prime8, I did do a search in my city, but I'll look again in the surrounding area before I buy new. I have no issue buying a used winch if the owner can show me that it still works well.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There is one in the San Diego Craigslist I believe that is only $1k. Don't remember if it was San Diego or another SoCal location but you could check it out.

rubicrawl

Thanks Prime8, I did do a search in my city, but I'll look again in the surrounding area before I buy new. I have no issue buying a used winch if the owner can show me that it still works well.

I just bought one like 2 weeks ago from Craigslist for 1k the 9.5k pp the guy never used the winch and used the air compressor 2x it was a steal it looked brand new be patient brotha their out there

YKPizzaGuy

It's a $100 difference. I have the 12000 and it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Just sayin

FeltsYouUp

It's a $100 difference. I have the 12000 and it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Just sayin

If I pick one up brand new then I'll probably go for a 12k, but if I can find a good used deal then I'll save the dough and take whichever I find.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
9500 is all you need. I run one on both of my 4-door JK's and have used them extensively without any trouble. I should note that my white JK weighs close to 7,000 lbs. too. Here is a clip of Cindy using it to work her way up a hard line out of Carnage Canyon BV. BTW, we used the money we saved to help buy a synthetic line.

Here's a video that shows us using our 9500 to right side up a flopped 4-door...

If you need more pulling power, use a snatch block.

YKPizzaGuy

There both great. I had a good run the night before playing poker with my buddy's so the upgrade to the 12000 was technically free ;) ;)

FeltsYouUp

I did think about the snatch block thing. I know the rebate going on right now includes a WARN snatch block. Thanks for all the info everyone! I'm just trying to decide what to order first...this could easily get out of hand! :eek:

Top Bottom