VIDEO : KC Flex ERA 4 Combo Lights

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Question for anyone that hooked these up to a factory auxiliary switch. Did you keep an inline fuse on the power line going to the auxiliary switch? Or are you relying on the fuse that is part of the auxiliary switch? I'm new to all of this, so appreciate the advice here. I hooked up the main lights to a 40 amp switch and the amber backlight to a 15 amp switch. I cut out the relay and inline fuses that were part of the harness. Not good?
Why cut out the relay if you are using an auxiliary switch??

Without looking at the specifics of what you did if you direct wired it to the aux switches no extra fuses or relays it is okay if the amps match (or are less than) the capacity of the built in aux switch system. If the amps are higher than the rated switch system you need to put the relay harness back on in which case yes you would also need the fuse inline to the relay.

Why Jay

Without looking at the specifics of what you did if you direct wired it to the aux switches no extra fuses or relays it is okay if the amps match (or are less than) the capacity of the built in aux switch system. If the amps are higher than the rated switch system you need to put the relay harness back on in which case yes you would also need the fuse inline to the relay.
Yes all checks out like you said. Thanks!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I understood that a Switch Pro or Factory Switches had all of that already in place.
¯😬
They do. Maybe I’m not understanding your question. If you are using the factory aux switch then you don’t need the relay and all of the harness stuff. I thought you were running your own separate aftermarket switch.

Why Jay

They do. Maybe I’m not understanding your question. If you are using the factory aux switch then you don’t need the relay and all of the harness stuff. I thought you were running your own separate aftermarket switch.
Yes factory aux switches. So I cut out the relay and fuses from harness. My question was if I needed to put the fuses back as they are lower amps than the factory aux switch. (25 vs 40). Thanks!

Andy5160

Hooked
Soooo, I had my Combo set installed and i have an issue.

1. Amber glow that i wanted to hook up to the DRL's does not work and i have no idea why. From what i remember DRL wire is the white with brown tracer. Disconnected the amber light wire from the DRL wire and just connected it straight to the battery no problem everything works which leads me to believe that something is up with the DRL wire ( may be it does not have enough power or something) Any suggestions please. Also would consider any other option which will give me constant amber glow while driving.
2. For whatever reason my set of lights had red wires powering the Amber glow and white once powering the light itself. So it is reversed from what's in Eddies video.
Thank you and please let me know what you think. 31BE9A42-9FAF-4D77-8C67-D929C674C495.jpeg

Last edited:
Hook it up to any circuit thats only powered when keys on.
Otherwise bust out a multi-meter and track down why its not working however you wired it.

WJCO

Meme King
Soooo, I had my Combo set installed and i have an issue.

1. Amber glow that i wanted to hook up to the DRL's does not work and i have no idea why. From what i remember DRL wire is the white with brown tracer. Disconnected the amber light wire from the DRL wire and just connected it straight to the battery no problem everything works which leads me to believe that something is up with the DRL wire ( may be it does not have enough power or something) Any suggestions please. Also would consider any other option which will give me constant amber glow while driving.
2. For whatever reason my set of lights had red wires powering the Amber glow and white once powering the light itself. So it is reversed from what's in Eddies video.
Thank you and please let me know what you think. View attachment 368992
I would buy a test light at auto parts store and see which actual factory wire has power when those factory lights are on. And then hook into that wire.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Hook it up to any circuit thats only powered when keys on.
Otherwise bust out a multi-meter and track down why its not working however you wired it.
I’m not sure the lights are intended to have Amber and white on at the same time. If he hooks up the Amber the way you suggest, they will never be off.

I’m not sure the lights are intended to have Amber and white on at the same time. If he hooks up the Amber the way you suggest, they will never be off.
Dont know about the specific needs of the light, but he asked how to wire them to keep them on, and thats one way 🤷‍♂️
Would also expect a light that costs as much as these if they cant run at the same time to have a built in shut off for the amber when the white is turned on, seems like a huge oversight if thats true.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Dont know about the specific needs of the light, but he asked how to wire them to keep them on, and thats one way 🤷‍♂️
Would also expect a light that costs as much as these if they cant run at the same time to have a built in shut off for the amber when the white is turned on, seems like a huge oversight if thats true.
KC ships it with a harness that has two separate leads (one for each color) and a three way switch. No oversight, unless of course someone ditches the harness and does not wire the light according the manufacturer’s instructions.

Andy5160

Hooked
Thank you guys. What i will do is I will wire the amber to my fog lights as I run them all the time together with the headlights. Once I need to use Combo white lights ill turn them on from the AUX switch but will turn off the fog lights which will turn off the amber.

KC ships it with a harness that has two separate leads (one for each color) and a three way switch. No oversight, unless of course someone ditches the harness and does not wire the light according the manufacturer’s instructions.
Makes more sense but Even then, they have to know that half their customers are running switch panels and will want to set it up with a switch for white and running lights for amber. Curious about the other backlit lights like rigid radiance If they have the same requirement that both can’t be on.

Thank you guys. What i will do is I will wire the amber to my fog lights as I run them all the time together with the headlights. Once I need to use Combo white lights ill turn them on from the AUX switch but will turn off the fog lights which will turn off the amber.
That’ll work but If you want to go another step you can wire it how you want to always be on and build a relay harness that turns off the amber when you turn on the white automatically using a normally closed relay or spdt. That’s what I would do.

Andy5160

Hooked
Makes more sense but Even then, they have to know that half their customers are running switch panels and will want to set it up with a switch for white and running lights for amber. Curious about the other backlit lights like rigid radiance If they have the same requirement that both can’t be on.

That’ll work but If you want to go another step you can wire it how you want to always be on and build a relay harness that turns off the amber when you turn on the white automatically using a normally closed relay or spdt. That’s what I would do.
Thank you

Top Bottom