Upper coolant radiator hose pinched flat together

Journeyman

I just had my a bunch of work done on my jku at the dealer and one of the items was having my coolant system flushed and serviced. Last wknd I was leaking fluid out of the overflow reservoir and I discovered a broken zip tie allowing it to flop around excessively and coming out the top. No big deal! Easy fix.
But not I'm getting ready to head out. So I popped the hood to check the reservoir and I noticed the upper hose to the radiator is pinched together as if it's sucked from the inside (think about a straw and a very thick milk shake) jeep ran fine last wknd [emoji848] but I did notice the fan was coming on a more than I recall. But I was crawling around in four low so I didn't think much of it. Temperature gauge was in the normal range.
Anybody got any idea's what's up [emoji1374] Image1487453689.049489.jpg

Pic isn't the best but you can see that hose is not round like I would expect it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

gheller

Perhaps it's me or a bad angle but I don't see where the hose is flat, although it is a bit crimped where it has the clamp attached for that other smaller hose.

Completely flat where no coolant can flow through is a major issue but just being not perfectly round I think is not a problem.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I just had my a bunch of work done on my jku at the dealer and one of the items was having my coolant system flushed and serviced. Last wknd I was leaking fluid out of the overflow reservoir and I discovered a broken zip tie allowing it to flop around excessively and coming out the top. No big deal! Easy fix.
But not I'm getting ready to head out. So I popped the hood to check the reservoir and I noticed the upper hose to the radiator is pinched together as if it's sucked from the inside (think about a straw and a very thick milk shake) jeep ran fine last wknd [emoji848] but I did notice the fan was coming on a more than I recall. But I was crawling around in four low so I didn't think much of it. Temperature gauge was in the normal range.
Anybody got any idea's what's up [emoji1374] View attachment 244734

Pic isn't the best but you can see that hose is not round like I would expect it to be.

is that a zip tie on it?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Usually the hose being pinched is from the radiator cap not working properly. Make sure it's installed all the way.

Journeyman

Usually the hose being pinched is from the radiator cap not working properly. Make sure it's installed all the way.

I did notice that when I put the cap back on to check the level, I thought I had turned it all the way till it stopped. But I double checked myself and there was another 1/4 turn left till it hit the stops. Maybe the mechanic did the same. Yes there a zip tie that hold the clip for the overflow bottle hose and another down low to keep the mesh protector in place I believe.
The pic doesn't do it justice. In the middle of the hose the two sides are actually touching inside [emoji15]
We drove around all afternoon with no issues. But it's only 40-50 degrees and raining.
I'll check it out in the a.m. Maybe with tightening the cap it straightened itself out [emoji1374]
Thanks for input guys.

jeeeep

Hooked
you may want to take the cap off, raise the front end and let it idle to make sure no air is trapped then put the cap on all the way.

Journeyman

you may want to take the cap off, raise the front end and let it idle to make sure no air is trapped then put the cap on all the way.
Topped off the radiator this morning and was able work quite a bit of air out. My driveway the jeep sits uphill anyways. Went for a short cruise and the upper hose seams to be back to normal. I did some research last night and that symptom is usually caused by a bad radiator cap. Maybe mine wasn't tight [emoji848] I'll keep an eye on it, but so far so good [emoji1360]
Thank you!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Topped off the radiator this morning and was able work quite a bit of air out. My driveway the jeep sits uphill anyways. Went for a short cruise and the upper hose seams to be back to normal. I did some research last night and that symptom is usually caused by a bad radiator cap. Maybe mine wasn't tight [emoji848] I'll keep an eye on it, but so far so good [emoji1360]
Thank you!

Yea it not being tight would be the big issue. It would cause the rad to allow the coolant to boil off easier and cause a pressure change.

Also make sure that you have the heater on full hot while the motor is running to burp the system. You don't really need the fan blowing either.

Journeyman

Yea it not being tight would be the big issue. It would cause the rad to allow the coolant to boil off easier and cause a pressure change.

Also make sure that you have the heater on full hot while the motor is running to burp the system. You don't really need the fan blowing either.

10-4 thank you sir [emoji111]🏼️

Top Bottom