UD44

Hi

I´m about to pull the trigger on a UD44 front axle with 4.56 ratio. One thing I´m curios on. With the AEV 3.5 inch lift kit I have the trackbar is raised 3 inch and also a flip kit came with the kit. I do have all this part mounted on my current dana30 and it works fine.

However, I have not been able to read anywhere at what height the trackbar mount is on the UD44. Will it work with the flipkit I have? Or is it possible to reuse the aev brackets to have the 3 inch? If not I guess I have to do some cutting and welding but welding is not my thing, have never done it so have someone to do it.

If the trackbar mount is like 1 inch lower on the UD44, will that affect the steering negative or is it to little difference to make any problem?

WJCO

Meme King
If no one here has the answer, I would reach out to Dana and I'm sure they could get you the exact measurements.

Here's my understanding:

On the UD44 page on the Spicer website, it looks like the only differences that affect the brackets at all are the bracket thicknesses. To me, that says that the UD44 is designed to work with the stock-style suspension, so the placement and interior clearance should be the exact same as the stock axles (both the dana 44 and dana 30). The only difference in the brackets is that they are slightly thicker on the UD44. I interpret this to mean that the track bar bracket is at the same height as the stock axles.

If the AEV track bar bracket slides into the axle bracket (and not sliding "over" the outside of the bracket), then the AEV bracket should work just fine. All of the track bar brackets I've seen slip inside the bracket, so I suspect the AEV will work on the UD44.

As mentioned, the bracket geometry is intended to be like stock. You will need the track bar bracket if you use the flip kit, otherwise it'll drive poorly.

The caster and pinion angles are adjusted slightly on the UD44, too, but that only affects the relative angles of things. Shouldn't affect track bar height at all.

Here's my understanding:

On the UD44 page on the Spicer website, it looks like the only differences that affect the brackets at all are the bracket thicknesses. To me, that says that the UD44 is designed to work with the stock-style suspension, so the placement and interior clearance should be the exact same as the stock axles (both the dana 44 and dana 30). The only difference in the brackets is that they are slightly thicker on the UD44. I interpret this to mean that the track bar bracket is at the same height as the stock axles.

If the AEV track bar bracket slides into the axle bracket (and not sliding "over" the outside of the bracket), then the AEV bracket should work just fine. All of the track bar brackets I've seen slip inside the bracket, so I suspect the AEV will work on the UD44.

As mentioned, the bracket geometry is intended to be like stock. You will need the track bar bracket if you use the flip kit, otherwise it'll drive poorly.

The caster and pinion angles are adjusted slightly on the UD44, too, but that only affects the relative angles of things. Shouldn't affect track bar height at all.
I´ve been diging some more into this and there is two options. one lower and one upper hole to mount the trackbar. The lower hole is at same height as stock and the upper hole is for jeeps with liftkit. However, they do not mention high much higher but I read somewhere it is 2 inches. That is one inch less than on most brackets. One guy that did a install answered this question on youtube to me yesterday and he said it works just fine with his flip kit.

Anyway, still one inch less then on the AEV bracket so question is, how much will this inch do? If I got bumpsteer I guess I just grind of the bracket and weld on my AEV bracket or some other bracket more suited for the task. But I will test first with the bracket that is on the axle.

Second problem is that it will take 140 days for the company to have the axle for me!!! It was just superexpensive with shipping from usa to sweden. 2450 dollar with air or 1150 dollar with ship. so had to take it through a dealer in germany and actully that was much cheaper. About 3700 dollar including shipping. That surprise me becuse more or less always it is way cheaper to buy directly from usa even with shipping and VAT but not regarding axles. But if you wait for something good :)

Great that you found your answer! I didn't realize that the track bar bracket on the UD44 had to mounting locations. Thanks for correcting me.

The one inch might be noticeable. I guess you'll have to try it and see. I know there are several bolt-on brackets in case you end up needing one but don't want to weld anything. Of course, you'd have to cut/trim the UD44 bracket for it to fit.

Top Bottom