Tune Up time?

rob_bunch

I'm sitting at 87k on the clock of my 18 rubi, has anyone done a full tune up at this point,, I've followed the maintenance schedule pretty good but the dealer hasn't ever recommended plugs or anything to that end. Reason I ask, I posted a week or so back on all codes O2 sensor and injector related as this this is guzzling fuel and sputtering as bad or worse than Maynard from Cars. Apparently not too many saw the post or no one has had injector or O2 sensor problems yet...

Dealership cant get to it until my scheduled appointment on the 11th to fix my rear defroster for a 4th time(2nd rear window swap). This is the kind of stuff that (in my opinion) always gave jeep/dodge/chrysler a bad rap.

Comments, suggestions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, and here I thought I drove a lot! That said, I have not done a full tune up yet. Are you getting a code thrown or are you just guessing it's O2 sensors? Sucks about the rear window too and yes, I agree that quality control has gone down by quite a bit since Daimler owned it. Hope your dealership will be able to help you out.

rob_bunch

Wow, and here I thought I drove a lot! That said, I have not done a full tune up yet. Are you getting a code thrown or are you just guessing it's O2 sensors? Sucks about the rear window too and yes, I agree that quality control has gone down by quite a bit since Daimler owned it. Hope your dealership will be able to help you out.
Yea its def a O2 sensor code, down stream #2 on bank 1,,, also its throwing one related to low injector voltage or something to that effect AND its jacking with the start / stop feature. Yea this thing is my daily driver and im in medical sales, always on the road. Previously got 376k on my Sequoia,,, im drive em till they drop, then drive em some more.

WJCO

Meme King
This doesn't really sound like a spark plug issue to me. Which engine do you have?

jeeeep

Hooked
Yea its def a O2 sensor code, down stream #2 on bank 1,,, also its throwing one related to low injector voltage or something to that effect AND its jacking with the start / stop feature. Yea this thing is my daily driver and im in medical sales, always on the road. Previously got 376k on my Sequoia,,, im drive em till they drop, then drive em some more.
they should be easy to replace.

If it's similar to the JK, you'll want something like pb blaster, anti-seize, and the O2 socket - I like the crows foot style and a tap to clean out the threads

if it's rusty, spray it heavily, put the socket or wrench on it and tap it with a hammer from both sides to crack the rust loose and spray more blaster on it. don't force it if it feels stuck. If you gall the threads or pull them out it's more work to tap it and possibly have to weld another bung on it.

rob_bunch

they should be easy to replace.

If it's similar to the JK, you'll want something like pb blaster, anti-seize, and the O2 socket - I like the crows foot style and a tap to clean out the threads

if it's rusty, spray it heavily, put the socket or wrench on it and tap it with a hammer from both sides to crack the rust loose and spray more blaster on it. don't force it if it feels stuck. If you gall the threads or pull them out it's more work to tap it and possibly have to weld another bung on it.
Nope,,, i cannot even begin to see where the snap connector is, i can see the sensor but the plug portion is out of site. With my temper and large self,,, ill be in hulk mode in 3, 2, 1
😆

It wasn’t all that bad, but I just tackled everything at 96k. Spark plugs, new water pump, new radiator, new belt pulleys and tensioner. All fluids. Upgraded to steel steering box. Did it over about a month, a day here and there.
But it sounds like you have actual issues. Mine was all preventative and the Jeep was running pretty much perfectly.
I noticed a coolant smell and a water pump that was starting to whine after a belt change. Weird little things that are all tidy now.
I wouldn’t throw parts at it until you figure out what the issue is. You’re getting close to the recommended service interval, so you could do the basics to eliminate them then move on to finding the actual issue.

Last edited:

JimLee

Hooked
It wasn’t all that bad, but I just tackled everything at 96k. Spark plugs, new water pump, new radiator, new belt pulleys and tensioner. All fluids. Upgraded to steel steering box. Did it over about a month, a day here and there.
But it sounds like you have actual issues. Mine was all preventative and the Jeep was running pretty much perfectly.
I noticed a coolant smell and a water pump that was starting to whine after a belt change. Weird little things that are all tidy now.
I wouldn’t throw parts at it until you figure out what the issue is. You’re getting close to the recommended service interval, so you could do the basics to eliminate them then move on to finding the actual issue.
Ok, question for you. I have read others (different places,not here) saying that if you upgrade to the steel steering box you absolutely have to go to the stealership and have the computer flashed for it or it wont work right, sounds like bullshit to me. Did you have yours flashed and if not is that steel box working ok for you?

Ok, question for you. I have read others (different places,not here) saying that if you upgrade to the steel steering box you absolutely have to go to the stealership and have the computer flashed for it or it wont work right, sounds like bullshit to me. Did you have yours flashed and if not is that steel box working ok for you?
I did not do the software update and it’s working marvelously. But, I have two theories. #1 - it was done with the steering stabilizer/software update for the valve solenoid that’s was supposed to fix my cold steering issue (it didn’t fix it) and that was done a year before I installed the box. #2 - it’s a bunch of hooey. (Or not as critical as some make it out to be)

edit: oh! And the steel box fixed my inability to turn the steering wheel left when it was colder than 40 degrees outside. (Thanks goodness)

JimLee

Hooked
I did not do the software update and it’s working marvelously. But, I have two theories. #1 - it was done with the steering stabilizer/software update for the valve solenoid that’s was supposed to fix my cold steering issue (it didn’t fix it) and that was done a year before I installed the box. #2 - it’s a bunch of hooey. (Or not as critical as some make it out to be)

edit: oh! And the steel box fixed my inability to turn the steering wheel left when it was colder than 40 degrees outside. (Thanks goodness)
Awesome, thanks for the feedback and glad it helped fix your issue!

Top Bottom