Tracking down running issue

My 97 4.0 is giving me headaches this week.
Since the weather got cooler it's been taking a longer cranking time to start instead of 2-3 seconds f cranking it's become 4-6

No big deal, figured it's cold just takes a second. This week it got super cold during a blizzard and when I went to start it, it just cranked and cranked and cranked, no sputtering, no anything. Just cranked. Got a ride home and went back the next day with a few tools, still doing the same thing. Put a jump pack on it, same thing- not voltage. Sprayed break cleaner in it, didn't have starting fluid, sputtered- no start. Did it again and got it to run, ran like crap couldn't take my hand off the throttle. Let it warm up for about 5-10 minutes playing with the pedal til it finally idled on its own. Went for a drive. After 2-3 minutes was running normal. Stopped. Restarted fine, was perfectly fine the rest of the day. Sat over night, still cold out, and went to start it this morning and cranked and cranked again, it started right up when I cranked and gave it a little gas and then idled fine.
New parts (or known good parts) within last year, map, iac, tps. Good compression. 220k

I think that it's possible that the gas had water in it and froze and that was the reason for it stranding me, however now the starting issue still remains, won't start (cold or warm) without giving it gas. I put 3/4 tank fresh premium through it today and some heet additive. Starting issue no change. I'm going to find my code scanner in the morning (easier said then done) and check to see what the temp sensor and other values are reading before it warms up.

Any ideas of things to check?
Fuel economy has also been worse then normal.

WJCO

Meme King
I would start with fuel pressure check. Even though you sprayed starting fluid in the engine with no difference, I would still put a gauge on it and check it. Also see if pressure maintains on the gauge after you shut it off. Could be an intermittent crank sensor issue, but those usually won't let it start at all. Also, look for obvious visual signs of rodent damage etc on your wiring harness.

Top Bottom