Towing trailer blows m17 fuse

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
So I hooked up my trailer and went to the dump for some spring cleaning, got home and just my drivers side running lights weren't working. After some snooping on Google, seems to be something with the tow package wiring on the drivers side. No real fixes or any other info, other than other people have had problems. Anybody here ever seen such a thing? I'm guessing my trailer is shorting something out on the m17 fuse.? ? . It's a new trailer. I've towed with it before and didn't Fuck my shit up, I recently put evo corners and 4" round trailer lights. Without the trailer, lights work fine, hook up trailer and shit blows?

olram30

I can't remember if I put the load resistor before or after the tow package plug. Could that mess things up?

olram30

The resistor goes on the stop, blinker wire, not the running lights. I'm just trying to figure this out before I rewire the whole trailer.

CerOf

I did use any resistor when I hooked up my 7-way. I did blow fuses but found it was a bad ground.

Double check you have a GOOD ground.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

salfi

If your fuse is blowing when the trailer is connected sounds like you have a short on the trailer. A short in one of the positive leads would cause a blown fuse. That's a possibility anyways. Try checking your wiring on the trailer, maybe something was damaged?

olram30

I did use any resistor when I hooked up my 7-way. I did blow fuses but found it was a bad ground.

Double check you have a GOOD ground.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

I'll double check the ground.

olram30

If your fuse is blowing when the trailer is connected sounds like you have a short on the trailer. A short in one of the positive leads would cause a blown fuse. That's a possibility anyways. Try checking your wiring on the trailer, maybe something was damaged?

That's my only guess. Been driving it around without the trailer and everything is good. Probably a Damn squirrel chewing on the wires..

MTG

Caught the Bug
Can you hook the trailer to another vehicle and see if it's the trailer vs the jeep? :idontknow:

olram30

Can you hook the trailer to another vehicle and see if it's the trailer vs the jeep? :idontknow:

I ordered a wiring harness and receiver for the wife's jeep. Soon as it gets in I'll check it out. Till then I guess just keep watching it without the trailer. If it blows again without the trailer then I know it's the jeep.:confused:

olram30

I think I found the culprit. The wires on the trailer suck abd seems to have grounded out. Rubbed the plastic off on the green wire and maybe others. Not a major problem and I should be able to fix it easy. Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• 1395078847297.jpg
    1395078847297.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 1395078859775.jpg
    1395078859775.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 41
Once you fix the wire I would recommend putting the wires in a protective sleeve. You can pick it up at Harbor Frieght rather cheap.

R/
Will

olram30

Glad to see you got it fixed, and no squirrels were electrocuted. :cheesy:

Lol, nah, just a tractor supply trailer. Not a bad trailer, just the wiring kinda sucks. I bought it since I don't have a pick up anymore.

Top Bottom