Total rookie question about lockers

FFPulley77

Hooked
So I just got back from a great adventure and I’m sitting here thinking about the way my Jeep performed. I have a JK sport with no lockers. I got in to a few spot where one wheel was off the ground and the whole “magic Jeep brake quasi-locker” thing kicked in. Obviously I don’t know the name, nor do I know exactly how it works other than the computer tells the Jeep to apply brake pressure to the free spinning wheel.
My question is, if this is a feature, then why add lockers? I eventually plan on growing the Jeep into something that’s not a daily driver, and putting a D44 in the front. Will the brake magic be sufficient until that time?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

TND333

You will want lockers. There are times when you need power to both wheels at once, not one or the other. The “magic break” is just enough to get you out of a jam.

jdofmemi

I would tell you to wheel it more as it us and learn how it all works.

The answer if you "need" lockers will become apparent to you as you go. If you regularly go places where the limited help the computer applied brakes give you is not enough, and you find yourself turning back or winching, then you know.

If what you have is enough to get through where you want to go, then save the money until you find that you do need it.

If you learn how to use what you have, once you do upgrade, you will have built your skill along with your Jeep.

fiend

Caught the Bug

The answer if you "need" lockers will become apparent to you as you go. If you regularly go places where the limited help the computer applied brakes give you is not enough, and you find yourself turning back or winching, then you know.

If what you have is enough to get through where you want to go, then save the money until you find that you do need it.

If you learn how to use what you have, once you do upgrade, you will have built your skill along with your Jeep.

The truth this wise one speaks.

IMG_4621.jpg

FFPulley77

Hooked

I like that idea. It’s how I start with any firearm I get, I use iron sights until I get comfortable with it, then I’ll put glass on it.

My Jeep is still stock height and it gets me where I need to go right now. It amazes me what this thing will do. On the other hand, I can’t wait to start doing more modifications to it.

FFPulley77

Hooked
Good Recovery gear is far more important than lockers when you’re starting.

I’m still working on that, first thing I did was buy a front bumper, back bumper, Warn winch and tree strap. Also have a shovel. I still need a snatch block and other things.

I know it’s not the best, but I like to explore places alone, so I’ve been looking at those winch anchors.

FFPulley77

Hooked
And I carry a tool box full of stuff for minor field repairs, should the need arise. A portable jump box for those subfreezing nights that could possibly kill the battery during overnight camping. Food/shelter/water in case I’m in an unplanned situation where I have to stay overnight.

MericaMade

I have learned a lot from this man. He is wise beyond his years!

As stated above wheel it until you start reaching a point where the stock “get me out of a jam” equipment are no longer adequate. And yes, eventually you’ll run into a situation where you’ll want power to both and not one or the other. A locker won’t transfer power like the computer. It will provide constant power to both until you turn it off.

And... (forgive the harshness here) if you’re going to be upgrading the front axle to a D44 at some point then it’s plain fucking stupid to not get one with a locker and add one to the rear.

Build your skills with open diffs for now... once you do and you add them later it will be like cheating. Way more fun. Way more enjoyable and you’ll be able to play on bigger things because equal traction won’t be the deciding factor.

FFPulley77

Hooked
As stated above wheel it until you start reaching a point where the stock “get me out of a jam” equipment are no longer adequate. And yes, eventually you’ll run into a situation where you’ll want power to both and not one or the other. A locker won’t transfer power like the computer. It will provide constant power to both until you turn it off.

And... (forgive the harshness here) if you’re going to be upgrading the front axle to a D44 at some point then it’s plain fucking stupid to not get one with a locker and add one to the rear.

Build your skills with open diffs for now... once you do and you add them later it will be like cheating. Way more fun. Way more enjoyable and you’ll be able to play on bigger things because equal traction won’t be the deciding factor.

Good info (I’m used to harshness [emoji1360]) and that’s the eventual plan with the D44. New gears and lockers will go in front and back when that happens. But it’s a ways off, I believe.

Good info (I’m used to harshness [emoji1360]) and that’s the eventual plan with the D44. New gears and lockers will go in front and back when that happens. But it’s a ways off, I believe.

I went the same route. Bought a sport S mainly because I knew I’d be upgrading axles and didn’t want the added $10k + up front. It’s a smart way to go. Enjoy the process with it. You’ll learn a ton and really have a great time building relationships with your Jeep and other people.

Top Bottom