Tool boxes? Icon homak caryle

Gecko13

Hey guys I’m shopping for a new box for my shop I just built. Can’t justify the price of a snap on or Mac. Does anyone have any experience with the new icon box from harbor freight? Generally harbor freight sells really cheap junk but this box looks really nice. Also how about Carlyle or homak?

WJCO

Meme King
Hey guys I’m shopping for a new box for my shop I just built. Can’t justify the price of a snap on or Mac. Does anyone have any experience with the new icon box from harbor freight? Generally harbor freight sells really cheap junk but this box looks really nice. Also how about Carlyle or homak?
I looked at some Icon ones before getting a Husky one from Home Depot about 2 years ago. This thread may have some info on other choices as well:

Buy a used tool truck box from a kid who quit or fired his first year. Techs that take up meth also have decent deals on their tools. lol
If that isn’t an option. I have a Milwaukee tool cart that is pretty awesome and I’m impressed by their storage stuff. The Husky boxes at home desperate are decent too. Craftsman at Lowe’s.
Out of those you mentioned though. I like Carlyle the best. Being able to warranty through any Napa is a huge selling point also.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Buy a used tool truck box from a kid who quit or fired his first year. Techs that take up meth also have decent deals on their tools. lol
If that isn’t an option. I have a Milwaukee tool cart that is pretty awesome and I’m impressed by their storage stuff. The Husky boxes at home desperate are decent too. Craftsman at Lowe’s.
Out of those you mentioned though. I like Carlyle the best. Being able to warranty through any Napa is a huge selling point also.
LOL at "home desperate" :ROFLMAO:

Great advice too. Been happy with my old Craftsman box that I got a Sears back in the day but I would imagine the ones you can get at Lowes are pretty good too. I do like the used idea from meth techs too 🤪

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I had a husky box that works great until I ran out of room and got a snap on. The husky box was great. A guy at work here had a harbor freight icon box and it’s nice

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had a husky box that works great until I ran out of room and got a snap on. The husky box was great. A guy at work here had a harbor freight icon box and it’s nice
I have to say, I've been kinda surprised at the quality of the Icon stuff I've been seeing lately. I like that they're made in Taiwan instead of China too.

dyn0mitemat

Yeah the Icon stuff has been pretty good lately from what I’ve had hands on with.
I’ve always been one to go buy a used box on marketplace and put the extra money towards tools, rather than a pricey box with no cash to put towards tools myself.

I’ve got a few craftsman sets at home, and Waterloo, Kennedy at work. All do their jobs well, just gotta figure out what you want. I know some guys will spend a TON to get stuff with drawers that don’t wiggle or skew a bit when you try to open or close than from the sides of the drawer instead of the middle but I really don’t care either way so I just go cheap. Plus then I ain’t worried about waxing my $5k snap on box every Friday 😂

I will say the new Milwaukee boxes se super nice for the price as well!

LOL at "home desperate" :ROFLMAO:

Great advice too. Been happy with my old Craftsman box that I got a Sears back in the day but I would imagine the ones you can get at Lowes are pretty good too. I do like the used idea from meth techs too 🤪
I have a ton of old craftsman too. Love the early Merican made stuff. 👍

I forgot to mention that estate sales and garage sales are my go to for tools and tool storage.

Gecko13

I have to say, I've been kinda surprised at the quality of the Icon stuff I've been seeing lately. I like that they're made in Taiwan instead of China too.
Yeah harbor has a bad rep for sure but this icon box is really nice! It’s not a harbor price though, a 72” box with stainless top, hutch and side locker is $6k.

J&k_Overland

Definitely talk to Snap on or Mac guy about a used box it’s worth the money also check the lawn shops for one. That’s where I got my Snap on cart it’s awesome the Icons look pretty damn good seen some nice videos on YouTube about em as well.

kbp810

Caught the Bug
I have a Milwaukee box that's held up great so far; about 7-8 years and drawers are still rolling smooth.

kevman65

Hooked
The Icon stuff has made huge leaps in quality the past few years, but the pricing has followed.

As has been said, watch for used stuff on sale. Plus I've seen new Milwaukee and Husky boxes on FB at clearance places for good prices.

CalSgt

Hooked
I got a "scratch and dent" Craftsman top box from a while back at Sears for less than half price, it only has a small dent on the backside. I think lots of these things get minor damage being loaded on delivery trucks Etc.

I've also seen some decent deals at Costco over the years

Carlyle is the brand my local Napa auto parts store carries, at least at my local store they will warranty anything Carlyle no questions asked.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah harbor has a bad rep for sure but this icon box is really nice! It’s not a harbor price though, a 72” box with stainless top, hutch and side locker is $6k.
Harbor freight is hit and miss with stuff. Some stuff is good and will last while other stuff breaks first use lol

jesse3638

Hooked
I have a ton of old craftsman too. Love the early Merican made stuff. 👍

I forgot to mention that estate sales and garage sales are my go to for tools and tool storage.
^^^This^^^

I bought a couple old craftsman ratchets (1/2, 3/8) for $5 during our community yard sale. They're better than my 20 year old crsftsman ones. Estate sales from old guys are the best.

Gecko13

Well I ended up buying a 72” top and bottom in lime green from harbor freight made by us general. Got 20% off both so it made better sense than the icon. There is definitely a notable difference between the two side by side. Icon more geared to the every day mechanic and the us general for the weekend warrior. Time will tell but I think it’s a good box for the money and I definitely wasn’t one to visit harbor much due to the crap stuff they mainly sell. They are absolutely trying to carry better products now than before.

Top Bottom