To fender chop or not to fender chop

Does anyone have any experience with chopping painted fenders? Any extra precautions that should be taken?

Me. Protect the fenders with something besides blue tape. I used a jig saw and didn't notice when the tape rolled and got a couple scratches. I sanded the edges down a bit to put the edge trim on. Superglued the ends on as I cut them at some angles.

Attachments

• image-1775913176.jpg
    image-1775913176.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 360
  • image-3267672539.jpg
    image-3267672539.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 356
  • image-1441216550.jpg
    image-1441216550.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 373
Me. Protect the fenders with something besides blue tape. I used a jig saw and didn't notice when the tape rolled and got a couple scratches. I sanded the edges down a bit to put the edge trim on. Superglued the ends on as I cut them at some angles.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will look into some good alternatives. Your rig looks awesome.

I'm going to chop mine this week. They are painted. I'll do a test and see what works good to protect them.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

looks good! good job. did you completely remove the support structure from the fronts?

andrew -

no i cut it like Eddies write up... i'm thinking of putting a 1/2" spacer on the top of the metal support bracket to push the fender up flatter:idontknow:

Why chop if you dont rub?? A tiny bit of rubbing is fine. I personaly will never chop mine since I like the having the fenders actually working for what they are made for. But again just my personal preference.

no i cut it like Eddies write up... i'm thinking of putting a 1/2" spacer on the top of the metal support bracket to push the fender up flatter:idontknow:

oh okay, was just hard to see and I wanted to ensure you kept it under there... a spacer might give it a little lift too, not a bad idea.

andrew -

Why chop if you dont rub?? A tiny bit of rubbing is fine. I personaly will never chop mine since I like the having the fenders actually working for what they are made for. But again just my personal preference.

i personally think that a properly trimmed fender looks a whole lot better than stock ones!

andrew -

I trimmed mine several weeks back with a few others on the forum. It was peer pressure and I totally regret it now.

Just kidding. Actually came out great. Haven't posted pics as I still need to paint the wells.

Agree^^^ i didnt like the way the stock ones looked with a short bumper and a lift... :twocents: :twocents:

I also like it because it makes YOUR Jeep YOURS!!! Everyones trim is just a bit different so there is a unique feature to it - like a finger print!

It took me a while to decide if I should cut the fenders too. mine sits on 315/70/17's with 2.5" springs and .75" spacersJeep13.jpg

Top Bottom