TJ ton swap

klungly

Member
Took out my gas tank and gave it to a buddy for his 1 ton swap on his jk. Took out the old sway bar and put in an antirock. The old sway bar wouldn't fit on the Dana 70 and the old gas tank was going to interfere with the new axle.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20190610_141459_176.jpg
    IMG_20190610_141459_176.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20190610_141459_175.jpg
    IMG_20190610_141459_175.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190610_140751.jpg
    20190610_140751.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 59

klungly

Member
I decided to go a different route with the swap. I have a set of super duty axles that I'm putting in. I went ahead and replaced the rear frame rails with the motobilt back half kit and comp cut the rear. It's time to pull the engine and do the front half kit and then put in the atlas that arrived a few days ago. Putting in some new seats that can have 5 point harnesses
 

Attachments

  • 20211025_215155.jpg
    20211025_215155.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211029_113825.jpg
    20211029_113825.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211115_151149.jpg
    20211115_151149.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211115_152238.jpg
    20211115_152238.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211123_162901.jpg
    20211123_162901.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211123_162848.jpg
    20211123_162848.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211127_214231.jpg
    20211127_214231.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 17

klungly

Member
I pulled the transfer case and transmission. I have the motobilt 4 link kit and test fit it up. It needs a little trimming then I can weld it to the frame. Pulled the engine to be able to do the front half frame kit. I'll rebuild the engine while it's out. I'll take the block to the machine shop to get hot tanked and magna fluxed. The cylinder walls still have the factory honing marks with 120,000 miles. Still deciding what to do to it.
 

Attachments

  • 20211207_193732.jpg
    20211207_193732.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211208_211751.jpg
    20211208_211751.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220105_204140.jpg
    20220105_204140.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220108_135951.jpg
    20220108_135951.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 9

klungly

Member
I torn the engine down to the block. One of the bolts holding the oil pan skid plate seized and one of the engine mount bolts was cross threaded. I put in a helicoil in the cross threaded hole. The seized bolt, I cut out the shank of the bolt with an end mill and pulled the thread out.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220113_162107_005.jpg
    IMG_20220113_162107_005.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220113_162107_032.jpg
    IMG_20220113_162107_032.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220113_162107_049.jpg
    IMG_20220113_162107_049.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220113_162107_063.jpg
    IMG_20220113_162107_063.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220113_162107_087.jpg
    IMG_20220113_162107_087.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220113_162107_132.jpg
    IMG_20220113_162107_132.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220113_162107_157.jpg
    IMG_20220113_162107_157.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 4

klungly

Member
Took the flywheel in to get resurfaced and the head to get check out. I got them back, the head checked out fine. I have to go out to sea for a couple months and when I get back I should be able to take the block into the machine shop to get baked and magnafluxed, new cam bearing and some honing. 20220131_185727.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20220131_185952.jpg
    20220131_185952.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 2

klungly

Member
Cut off the old frame and mocked up the new front half kit with the winch and grill for clearance. 20220406_212444.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20220407_213649.jpg
    20220407_213649.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220407_213804.jpg
    20220407_213804.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom