Tire machine

TNuggs13

Not Jeep related but vehicle related. At a tire shop when they use the machine to change a tire, is it possible for it to crack a rim on the inside of the wheel? Not on the edge but in the center of the wheel? Not sure how much pressure they have. A coworker had a tire replaced yesterday on her Mercedes and when the wheel was mounted back up there was a crack in it.

It is possible if they put too much pressure on the rim itself instead of the bead when they were breaking the bead.

Wheels crack for a multitude of reasons. Defect in the manufacturing is only one of the possibilities.

Over torquing lugs, loose lugs, lots of horse power and to much skinny pedal, excessive curbing.
It could be anything really.

If near the hub hole and lug hole my guess would be over torquing the lug nuts.

I clicked over to read about the space travel continuum. :crazyeyes:

Guess I need to read more closely.

The wheel was cracked prior to the tire shop touching it. If they would've done it with the bead breaker, they would've busted the lip off the wheel. Since the crack is near the wheel center, it's probably defective, hit a pot hole, or other reason.

I used to work for benz, and alot of the late model benz with low profile wheel would bend easy and crack depends on how hard it was hit. Most likely she hit a pot hole, I've changed a lot of tires that they have bent rims. Really the only way is to visually inspect the rim. She can send it to be repaired but once it has been bent or cracked its easy to bend/crack again.

Top Bottom