Thoughts / Opinions / Debate: Lockers

deadlance

I have a 2015 Jeep JK 2 door with a 3 inch lift and 35s. I'm about to do a regear to 4.56 gears and at the same time I'd like to install lockers. Also, keep in mind, this is still my daily driver.

I've been running an ARB twin air compressor mainly to air up after a day of trail riding.

I mostly do mild rock crawling. Some day I'll do something cool like the Rubicon...

I was planning to go with ARB air lockers since I already have the compressor installed and have always heard they were one of the best. Until recently, I had no reason to doubt this decision, but the other day a mechanic at the 4x4 shop here locally told me that he's constantly replacing inner axle seals and having all sorts of problems with his ARB lockers and that he suggests I go with Eaton E-lockers instead.... so, I wanted to get a larger group opinion prior to doing the deed.

ARB vs Eaton on a daily driver.

Don't think you could go wrong with either. The bad seals are hit and miss, I've had no issues, others have. The ARBs engage very quickly, the Eatons are less instantaneous.

i have heard that synthetic gear oil can degrade the seals in the ARBs and for that reason i use the old dino oil in my 2dr with ARBs. maybe thats part of the mechanics issues? i have had a Rubicon with the E lockers, my 2dr now has both air lockers and my 4dr has 1 of each (air rear, electric front) the biggest advantage i see with the air is instant lock and unlock. I can lock and unlock quickly if i need to turn since im pushing 37/1350 tires on my 2dr with the stock steering box and no hydro its nice to not crank on the wheel. The E lockers require rotation to lock and unlock so you have to kinda plan out when to use them and pre load it and sometimes have to have it locked more than you would like before they will unlock. both have pros and cons, the air has leaks to deal with and i have chased down a few over the few years i have had them but so far havent failed me yet. the rotation issue with the elockers was frustrating at times but not a show stopper. for a DD and mild rock crawling the Elockers might suit you better with less risk of air leaks. Both will be plenty strong and durable just offer a few pros and cons you will have to choose between. so far i have been the most happy with my air lockers mostly because i like to start most obstacles without them then turn them on if i need them. hopefully that helps a little, but neither are a bad choice

I’ve had both and good luck with both. Thing I don’t like about the elocker is the plug end. If that breaks you are screwed. The arb is a little easier to repair if ever needed. That said the seal leaks suck.

And I would go with minimum 4.88 for manual and 5.13 for auto.

Like the others have said there is pros and cons to both. Maybe OX locker would be worth looking at. And like OverlanderJK said 4.88’s or 5.13’s. I don’t think you’ll be very happy with 4.56.

On the topic of gearing, I have a 3.6L Manual, currently have 3.73 gears. I was planning to go to 4.56 gears based on this image.

You guys think 4.88 or 5.13 is still going to be suitable for a daily driver? I drive my jeep everywhere, to and from wheeling trips, lots of highway miles.
Even with a manual, I would say to go with 4.88 as well. Anything less is a waste of time and money. I personally would go 5.13 but would be the first to admit that it may be too high a ratio for some as a daily driver.

As far as lockers go, I too have run both and have good and bad luck with both. ARB's used to be the only thing I ran but more recently than not, I have had inner seal leaks like crazy. I do NOT run synthetic lube as it will ruin the seal but still have leaks. I recently started running e-lockers on my UD60's and have found them to work well. Maybe not as instantaneous but still are working consistently well.

Even with a manual, I would say to go with 4.88 as well. Anything less is a waste of time and money. I personally would go 5.13 but would be the first to admit that it may be too high a ratio for some as a daily driver.

As far as lockers go, I too have run both and have good and bad luck with both. ARB's used to be the only thing I ran but more recently than not, I have had inner seal leaks like crazy. I do NOT run synthetic lube as it will ruin the seal but still have leaks. I recently started running e-lockers on my UD60's and have found them to work well. Maybe not as instantaneous but still are working consistently well.

Well, since Eddie said it, I might just go with 5.13. You're not wrong. I'm pretty sure it'll be too deep for all the highway miles, but soon it might just end up being a trailer queen for long hauls.

I'd actually like to see an in depth review / differences video between the E lockers and ARB lockers Eddie... that is, if you're looking for content.

So, secondary question in relation to gears. I've always heard Yukon is a super good brand, but thoughts on brand of gears?

So, secondary question in relation to gears. I've always heard Yukon is a super good brand, but thoughts on brand of gears?
All JK gears are made by the same company in South Korea called Cha. They're just repackaged in different boxes.

All JK gears are made by the same company in South Korea called Cha. They're just repackaged in different boxes.
I just found your post on another forum, literally 20 seconds ago. Thanks for the reply though. I have a great deal of respect for you and have wanted to do the JK-Experience since I got my Jeep. Maybe some day.

I just found your post on another forum, literally 20 seconds ago. Thanks for the reply though. I have a great deal of respect for you and have wanted to do the JK-Experience since I got my Jeep. Maybe some day.
Be awesome if we could hit the trail together some day.

For my 2 cents on the gearing. I have a 3.6L manual with 37s and went with 4.88s. I wish I would have gotten 5.13s. the 4.88s is just a little shy of stock performance IMO and would probably suit you well with 35s. Just my opinion though

On the topic of gearing, I have a 3.6L Manual, currently have 3.73 gears. I was planning to go to 4.56 gears based on this image.

You guys think 4.88 or 5.13 is still going to be suitable for a daily driver? I drive my jeep everywhere, to and from wheeling trips, lots of highway miles.
No experience with either type of locker but I daily drove my JKU with 4.88 and 35s for three years. With a manual I saw about 3200 rpm at 80mph. I could manage stop and go traffic with just the clutch. I still daily drive it but when my 35s needed replacing I went with 37s.

For my 2 cents on the gearing. I have a 3.6L manual with 37s and went with 4.88s. I wish I would have gotten 5.13s. the 4.88s is just a little shy of stock performance IMO and would probably suit you well with 35s. Just my opinion though
Yup. I have 5.13’s and wish I had 5.38’s. It won’t hold sixth on long grades on 37’s but does pretty well.

Just did what you are talking about 1 year ago. I went with Eaton Lockers due to several friends having the seal leakage on their ARB's. I have not had any issues and just one less component needed to engage the lockers. I was running 35's when I regeared to 4:88 and living in the rustbelt here in Illinois seemed a little high but since then I have upgraded to 37's and really like the 4:88 here in the flat land. I could see 5:13 being handy if you lived in the mountains.

Top Bottom