Thoughts on revising suspension

MAG00

Currently my JKU is sitting on a RK long arm kit (3 link) with Rebel Off-Road coil over kit and front and rear Currie Anti-Rocks. Have run this way for probably close to 5 years. Been wondering about revising things to be more road friendly if overlanding and having to travel long interstate or highway distance to get from point A to point B. By more road friendly, I been more stable at highway speed. Any thoughts?

Some thoughts are:
- Remove front anit-rock and use a more traditional sway bar with disconnects.
- Go back to a 4 link system but keep the coil overs. Any thoughts or recommendations on this option?

Any thoughts or feedback?

I'd like to pick up a gladiator and just a mild build for trips and daily driving and keep my JKU as is, but not sure money will allow this option.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For as much as you have done to your Jeep, I'm sorry to hear your ride isn't better than it was stock. That said, I personally would revise things one thing at a time. That way, you'll know what each thing was doing for your ride.

I personally would start by reinstalling your factory front sway bar and that will help stabilize things quite a bit. The rear antirock has a higher torsion rate than factory and so I would leave it.

Next, if you don't already have track bar relocation brackets installed and a drag link flip, I would add them to your build.

While I'm not a fan of 3-link systems, it shouldn't cause any stability issues on the highway. If after you reinstall your factory front sway bar you still feel poor handling, I might focus your attention on your coilovers next. Could be heavier spring rates for your primary could help things out.

MAG00

For as much as you have done to your Jeep, I'm sorry to hear your ride isn't better than it was stock. That said, I personally would revise things one thing at a time. That way, you'll know what each thing was doing for your ride.

I personally would start by reinstalling your factory front sway bar and that will help stabilize things quite a bit. The rear antirock has a higher torsion rate than factory and so I would leave it.

Next, if you don't already have track bar relocation brackets installed and a drag link flip, I would add them to your build.

While I'm not a fan of 3-link systems, it shouldn't cause any stability issues on the highway. If after you reinstall your factory front sway bar you still feel poor handling, I might focus your attention on your coilovers next. Could be heavier spring rates for your primary could help things out.
Thanks for your feedback. Don't get me wrong. The ride is good. Just wish it was a little tighter on the highway. I have thought about either factory front sway bar or maybe something like a dual rate front sway bar. Any thought son this?

I have Currie 60s front and rear with yeti drag link and synergy trac bar (from previous work) so I think I should be good in that regard.

Just was curious if going away from the 3-link would provide a little more stability (less sway) or if that would be adequately address with the sway bar revisions.

kevman65

Hooked
The coilovers are overdue for service. You need fresh oil, seals, wipers and possibly valving if any of the holes are clogged and can't be cleared.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your feedback. Don't get me wrong. The ride is good. Just wish it was a little tighter on the highway. I have thought about either factory front sway bar or maybe something like a dual rate front sway bar. Any thought son this?

I have Currie 60s front and rear with yeti drag link and synergy trac bar (from previous work) so I think I should be good in that regard.

Just was curious if going away from the 3-link would provide a little more stability (less sway) or if that would be adequately address with the sway bar revisions.
To be clear, I was talking about handling as in, tighter on the highway and not ride quality. I should note that the Rebel kit sits really high, higher than most other coilover kits and that's why I recommended the track bar relocation brackets and drag link flip. Without them and at that height, your handling/stability will feel off.

Another thing to look into are your control arm joints. The RK joints tend to wear out/fail faster than something like a Johnny Joint and that can contribute to what you're feeling as well. For as long as you've had this setup, I'd put money on one or more of them needing a rebuild.

I've run a dual sway bar system in the past and would still run a factory Rubicon e-disco over it.

Top Bottom