The SCOURGE of Off-Roading - This is Why Land and Trails Get Closed

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That really sucks that those assholes acted that way. Glad you sealed things up just sucks what people do. Having worked for that agency I've seen some serious Mismanagement on their end too. It leads to more destruction and then closed trails and areas.
Nevada is a big state with a shit ton of BLM land to manage. Even in the best of situations, I can only imagine how near impossible it would be to do anything about these jerks.

tallguy26

Caught the Bug
The only local off road park to me banned SxS after they damaged his trails. I've seen SC DNR ticketing them more and more on the old forestry trails. I agree they don't care about what they damage.

jamesrw30

One of our counties comms tower sites borders a UTV/ATV only off road park. The base of this is an old landfill then our access road goes up. They veer off their trails into the landfill and on our tower road constantly. It keeps our road so destroyed. The bottom half is awful, once you get past the point you can tell they turn off and head back into the woods the road is fine. I know a guy that rides one but he and his buddies seem to be the exception that they only ride where they're supposed to. It definitely sucks they have destroyed your place like that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - not gonna lie, I'm feeling kind of defeated. Over the weekend, I spent some time moving deadfall around the BLM land to try and discourage the shitheads from tearing up the hill and yesterday, they came back and threw all of it into my fenceline.

IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg
IMG_0792.jpg

And, just to make a show of force and give me a BIG FUCK YOU, half a dozen of them came back today and purposefully rode right along the fence line.
IMG_0805.jpg

The worst part of all this, it's that the guys aren't even kids ripping around in badass Canams. Most were fuckin old guys riding around in piece of shit Rhinos and Rangers and old school RZRs. Sorry for the shitty quality pics but it's all I could get with my phone zoomed into santa clause.
IMG_0801.jpg
IMG_0802.jpg

In other words, all these fucken side by side shitheads are locals - as in, MAGA flag waving self-righteous fucktards that think they have a god given right to tear up the landscape because I no longer allow them to cross through my property. 🤪

That said, I'm tired... really tired I and really don't want to start a fight with my neighbors - that is, if they don't already hate me. And really, I'm not even sure if there's anything I can do even if I wanted to. What really gets me though... what I'm really having a hard time with... it's that somewhere along the line, I suddenly really understand why trails and land gets closed.

JT@623

Hooked
LOL - not gonna lie, I'm feeling kind of defeated. Over the weekend, I spent some time moving deadfall around the BLM land to try and discourage the shitheads from tearing up the hill and yesterday, they came back and threw all of it into my fenceline.

View attachment 380551
View attachment 380552
View attachment 380553

And, just to make a show of force and give me a BIG FUCK YOU, half a dozen of them came back today and purposefully rode right along the fence line.
View attachment 380554

The worst part of all this, it's that the guys aren't even kids ripping around in badass Canams. Most were fuckin old guys riding around in piece of shit Rhinos and Rangers and old school RZRs. Sorry for the shitty quality pics but it's all I could get with my phone zoomed into santa clause.
View attachment 380556
View attachment 380555

In other words, all these fucken side by side shitheads are locals - as in, MAGA flag waving self-righteous fucktards that think they have a god given right to tear up the landscape because I no longer allow them to cross through my property. 🤪

That said, I'm tired... really tired I and really don't want to start a fight with my neighbors - that is, if they don't already hate me. And really, I'm not even sure if there's anything I can do even if I wanted to. What really gets me though... what I'm really having a hard time with... it's that somewhere along the line, I suddenly really understand why trails and land gets closed.
Unbelievable you could accidentally drop a box of simplex nails in the trail

benatc1

Hooked
That’s just really unfortunate, sorry you keep having to deal with that crap. I’m sure it’s a -50 on the scale of 1-100 importance for whoever manages that land but is there an agency you can call? I’m Not even sure how they make that type of thing

TrailHunter

Hooked
That sucks man. I think all you can do is keep the fence maintained, post signs and keep records/photos of the damage they cause to the land and/or your fence… So if it does come up in court you have a leg to stand on. Keep your cool and let them dig their own hole.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Can’t stand assholes like that. You would think you could call BLM and let them know they are tearing up the land and making their own trails. You would thing that they might do something but sadly that could end up closing the whole area. Kind of a catch 22 thing there… 😕

Ddays

Hooked
Assholes always gotta be.....
Used to have the same issue when we first built our house on our property years ago. Kids ripping across our fields on their bikes and quads while I'm out in them bush hogging with my tractor, hunters walking out of the woods right past our windows while we were eating dinner, catching groups riding on the logging roads, it never stopped until I became aggressive and threatening right back at these clowns. They feel entitled just because they used to go on the property because no one was there to tell them stop. Sounds just like your situation. Over time they all gave up but only once I became confrontational right back. Some people were understanding but others you just had to threaten to get them to understand you weren't fuckin around.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Total Fucken bummer about those idiots
It is frustrating for sure. We love this place but I won't lie... if I had to deal with these idiots all the time, it'd be enough to make me not want to keep it, especially being that they're clearly locals.
That sucks man. I think all you can do is keep the fence maintained, post signs and keep records/photos of the damage they cause to the land and/or your fence… So if it does come up in court you have a leg to stand on. Keep your cool and let them dig their own hole.
That's what I've been doing but not sure if it'll make a difference. Certainly, I don't see how or why this matter would ever go to court, especially if they stay out of my side of the fence.
Can’t stand assholes like that. You would think you could call BLM and let them know they are tearing up the land and making their own trails. You would thing that they might do something but sadly that could end up closing the whole area. Kind of a catch 22 thing there… 😕
Yeah, you would think but I'm not sure what they would or could do. Maybe put up a sign or two? Hell, I've seen them on the ground already. The only ones left are the ones facing my property :rolleyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assholes always gotta be.....
Used to have the same issue when we first built our house on our property years ago. Kids ripping across our fields on their bikes and quads while I'm out in them bush hogging with my tractor, hunters walking out of the woods right past our windows while we were eating dinner, catching groups riding on the logging roads, it never stopped until I became aggressive and threatening right back at these clowns. They feel entitled just because they used to go on the property because no one was there to tell them stop. Sounds just like your situation. Over time they all gave up but only once I became confrontational right back. Some people were understanding but others you just had to threaten to get them to understand you weren't fuckin around.
Yep, assholes always gotta be.

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with shit like this too and glad to know you were finally able to mitigate them coming onto your property. At the moment, the fuckers I'm dealing with are staying out and I'm happy about that, just bummed that they're fucking up the hillside and tearing up the vegetation all around me now. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything I can do about that and they seem to be happy about giving me the big fuck you about it too.

There is one piece of property that butts up against mine that someone in California apparently owns but nobody lives on and it seems to be the root of my problems. The road leading to it on the other side of the hill is the one that goes down to the bar that all the side by sides go to. This property has no fence or signs and I'm hoping to reach out to the owner and let him know how it's getting all fucked up. Assuming the person who owns it intends to do something with it some day, maybe they'll care enough to address the problem. But, I'm not holding my breath.

Brute

Hooked
I have very low tolerance for those that disrespect private property. I also understand that being confrontational is high risk with low rewards…usually groups of people like these do not care if they are engaged in a conflict and are more than happy to escalate the dispute.

In my experience, the only way to handle this type of behavior is to make it expensive…so much so that it becomes economically prohibitive to continue. Of course, it requires one to expend a fair amount of financial resources…and it may take years to get to an acceptable outcome; it requires a great deal of resolve…

Brute

Hooked
Yep, assholes always gotta be.

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with shit like this too and glad to know you were finally able to mitigate them coming onto your property. At the moment, the fuckers I'm dealing with are staying out and I'm happy about that, just bummed that they're fucking up the hillside and tearing up the vegetation all around me now. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything I can do about that and they seem to be happy about giving me the big fuck you about it too.

There is one piece of property that butts up against mine that someone in California apparently owns but nobody lives on and it seems to be the root of my problems. The road leading to it on the other side of the hill is the one that goes down to the bar that all the side by sides go to. This property has no fence or signs and I'm hoping to reach out to the owner and let him know how it's getting all fucked up. Assuming the person who owns it intends to do something with it some day, maybe they'll care enough to address the problem. But, I'm not holding my breath.
Buy the property…

Spazbyt

Hooked
Sorry to hear that Eddie. Maybe get a trail camera so you can at least monitor the amount of activity. You could hide it in a bat house or something if you don't want to draw any ire. Sucks that no matter where you go there is always "those neighbors".

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have very low tolerance for those that disrespect private property. I also understand that being confrontational is high risk with low rewards…usually groups of people like these do not care if they are engaged in a conflict and are more than happy to escalate the dispute.

In my experience, the only way to handle this type of behavior is to make it expensive…so much so that it becomes economically prohibitive to continue. Of course, it requires one to expend a fair amount of financial resources…and it may take years to get to an acceptable outcome; it requires a great deal of resolve…
Buy the property…
LOL - not gonna lie, I've been looking into it. Turns out it's been owned by the same family for a very long time. Unfortunately, back in 2004, it went from being owned by a couple to being owned by all their kids. From past experience, this can make it harder to acquire especially if one or more doesn't want to sell. Of course, that would most likely just push the problem to the next fence line. :rolleyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that Eddie. Maybe get a trail camera so you can at least monitor the amount of activity. You could hide it in a bat house or something if you don't want to draw any ire. Sucks that no matter where you go there is always "those neighbors".
Yeah, looking into trail cams now. Not sure what it'll ultimately do for me but I'd like to know.

What's really lame is that the first 2 guys I had to deal with, both were young and I haven't seen them since. In fact, things were great up until last week and I hadn't really been seeing anyone for a long time or at least, just on holiday weekends. Now, that these old fucks showed up, they've coming by daily, in a big group and to purposefully ride right along my fence line. It's like, they just caught wind of the road block and now want to make it known that they're giving me a big fuck you.

Top Bottom