The Return of BIGGER Black

Few questions for those with more coilover knowledge than me, which won’t take much, but want to make sure I have this dialed and learn as I move fwd. I took a quick bomb down a pretty bouncy dirt road and felt that the jeep drove like a dump truck even up to 50 mph. Now these are E rated tires on there now, only aired down to around 30ish but I was expecting a bit more response from the suspension. I will be swapping over my D rated 38, but I just want to make sure everything is dialed where it’s supposed to be, I’d also like to bring the ride height down a touch but not a big if I can’t/shouldn't. Here is a pic of the front coilover at ride height, 250/450 springs. Thread space at the top is 1.5 inches and 2” from the top of the top of the slider to the bottom of the timing ring.
IMG_8143.jpeg

Am I already to low on the top nut to take ride height away? And is my timing ring to high?

Rear has 200/200 springs, 4” of thread space at top and 4” of space between top of slider and bottom of timing ring

IMG_8144.jpeg

Same questions as fronts, but seems more extreme in the back, also Jeep seems to be sitting pretty level, if anything maybe a touch front high. I should also not it’s not on long arms, just 8 adjustable so I don’t get the the full range of the suspension of that makes a difference

Any help would be appreciated

1. With Load Range E tires, I personally feel they don't really start to smooth out until they're at about 24-26 psi at most and that's for daily driving. Needless to say, they aren't helping anything.

2. One of the things I hate most about the adjustable coilovers is that they go from firm, to firmer to harsh. There is no going softer and if yours are not dialed all the way out, I would do that now and pretty much forget about the other settings.

3. The weight of the 392 is heavy enough to need a heavier spring rate but holy hell, 450? Really?? Now, I would be the first to say that might be right but it seems to be a bit much. Looking at how little pre-load you have, I'm wondering if you could run closer to 400. Is it safe to say the fronts are 12" over 14" coils?

4. Your timing rings look to be set too high but that just means it would take more to get into your secondaries. If anything, that should help to soften your ride but again, I'm thinking your 450s are a bit too much, especially being that you're saying that your nose high or what some people think is level.

5. Your rears look like they have way too much pre-load and your timing is off by quite a bit. That said, 200/200 should be offering a softer ride but if it were me, I might be running 200/300 and pull some of that pre-load out.

1. With Load Range E tires, I personally feel they don't really start to smooth out until they're at about 24-26 psi at most and that's for daily driving. Needless to say, they aren't helping anything.
Totally, changing that right about now 😁
2. One of the things I hate most about the adjustable coilovers is that they go from firm, to firmer to harsh. There is no going softer and if yours are not dialed all the way out, I would do that now and pretty much forget about the other settings.
I’ve always heard that from you and was expecting it, but seems like it was harsher than expected, I did have them dialed out, i them down after the drive home, and it certainly improved,
3. The weight of the 392 is heavy enough to need a heavier spring rate but holy hell, 450? Really?? Now, I would be the first to say that might be right but it seems to be a bit much. Looking at how little pre-load you have, I'm wondering if you could run closer to 400. Is it safe to say the fronts are 12" over 14" coils?
correct 12 over 14 coils

4. Your timing rings look to be set too high but that just means it would take more to get into your secondaries. If anything, that should help to soften your ride but again, I'm thinking your 450s are a bit too much, especially being that you're saying that your nose high or what some people think is level.
was looking at evos install instructions and may lower those rings down to 1” and see. Would dropping to 400 and keeping preload same, likely lower my front? As I’ll probably drop to 400

5. Your rears look like they have way too much pre-load and your timing is off by quite a bit. That said, 200/200 should be offering a softer ride but if it were me, I might be running 200/300 and pull some of that pre-load out.
sounds good on rear. Timing rings lower as well?

I’ve always heard that from you and was expecting it, but seems like it was harsher than expected, I did have them dialed out, i them down after the drive home, and it certainly improved,
Glad that it helped and honestly, if you were to ask Mel, he would say the same thing. The adjustable thing came about because consumers demanded it but a vast majority of them have no clue what they're good for - they just think that having something that's 'adjustable' is better.
correct 12 over 14 coils
Okay, that should give you more options. Assuming you feel like the front end is harsh, going 250/350 400 or even 350 should help to smooth things out. You have to remember that for daily driving, the spring rate you're riding on is measured across both springs. The only time you get into the heavier secondary is when the timing ring gets hit. Right now, your overall ride will be on the firm side.

Again, and I don't know this for sure but the rates you're running may be necessary to carry the 392 motor. However, looking at your pre-load, I feel like you could run a softer secondary.
was looking at evos install instructions and may lower those rings down to 1” and see. Would dropping to 400 and keeping preload same, likely lower my front? As I’ll probably drop to 400
Right now, you're probably seeing the secondary kick in seldomly up front and maybe never in the rear. Lowering them so that they engage sooner is a good thing to help soak up big bumps. I wasn't sure if you said anything about the rear but are you okay with how it feels? Or, it that where you're unhappy about your ride? I've been just making assumptions based on what I'm seeing.
sounds good on rear. Timing rings lower as well?
If it were my Jeep, I probably would be running 200/300 and to get rid of some of that pre-load. I would then set the timing rings so that they're ready to engage a lot sooner.

Glad that it helped and honestly, if you were to ask Mel, he would say the same thing. The adjustable thing came about because consumers demanded it but a vast majority of them have no clue what they're good for - they just think that having something that's 'adjustable' is better.

Okay, that should give you more options. Assuming you feel like the front end is harsh, going 250/350 400 or even 350 should help to smooth things out. You have to remember that for daily driving, the spring rate you're riding on is measured across both springs. The only time you get into the heavier secondary is when the timing ring gets hit. Right now, your overall ride will be on the firm side.

Again, and I don't know this for sure but the rates you're running may be necessary to carry the 392 motor. However, looking at your pre-load, I feel like you could run a softer secondary.
Ok sounds good, I’ll def try something lighter, I’m adjusting front rings now so will see how that makes a difference in the short term, but will redo with springs
Right now, you're probably seeing the secondary kick in seldomly up front and maybe never in the rear. Lowering them so that they engage sooner is a good thing to help soak up big bumps. I wasn't sure if you said anything about the rear but are you okay with how it feels? Or, it that where you're unhappy about your ride? I've been just making assumptions based on what I'm seeing.
I’m not sure I’ve drive it enough to fully tell, but I’d say the rear is probably ok, front seemed rock hard, I’ll drive it more and see if I can tell the difference.

If it were my Jeep, I probably would be running 200/300 and to get rid of some of that pre-load. I would then set the timing rings so that they're ready to engage a lot sooner.
Sounds good, I’d like to play around with it a bunch and see what I like best, but I’ll def take your word for it.

Top Bottom