The Rebuild of Colojk

Please let me know if the bump steer is gone after getting new ball joints. Could bad ball joints cause some bump steer?

I ask this because I have 2.5" lift on mine and there is too much bump steer. I added the control arm drop brackets and I'm going to take them off to see if that makes the rig more stable on the highway. I have 25K miles on it and I bet the ball joints are shot. I need to check them.

Looks great!!! I hope it handles great too!

Last edited:
Please let me know if the bump steer is gone after getting new ball joints. Could bad ball joints cause some bump steer?

I ask this because I have 2.5" lift on mine and there is too much bump steer. I added the control arm drop brackets and I'm going to take them off to see if that makes the rig more stable on the highway. I have 25K miles on it and I bet the ball joints are shot. I need to check them.

Looks great!!! I hope it handles great too!

Yes I will let you know when I drive it. I would say that your control arm drop brackets probably aren't the issue from what I understand. As for bump steer, when I explained that I get it as I hit pot holes and stuff in the road, Tim immediately suggested that it was probably the ball joints and sure enough they were ruined. The tough part is that my tie rod ends were also ruined and I had a broken sway bar link. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but all of those things could possible contribute to bump steer in one way or another.

Never really heard an explanation of bump steer. Any takers?

Please someone jump in if I'm incorrect but from my experience I would hit a bump in the road and the steering wheel would almost get pulled out of my hands. I wouldn't let anyone drive my jeep because of how unpredictable it was. That is a poor way to explain it so if someone has a more accurate answer that would be great.

So I was finally able to drive the jeep tonight. All I can say is wow! Steering is outstanding and it rides great. I do need to center the steering wheel but that's an easy fix. I'm hoping to flex it out this week and get some pics. I also have multiple parts coming in the mail this week!

Awesome. So it handles great at highway speeds and the bump steer is all gone?

It has not been on the highway yet but yes I have not experienced any bump steer. One of the most noticeable differences is how much tighter the steering is. Also, I was told by Trail Jeeps that the Dynatrac ball joints have a break in period of about a month.

That is awesome. I probably need new ball joints. I have 25K miles and a lot of time on the trails. My steering sucks and is super loose.

Yes that could be a good place to start. It's hard for me to say if the ball joints were the main thing that solved the problem though because a new track bar, tie rod, ball joints, adjustable lower control arms and sector shaft brace were all added at the same time.

I got the chance to flex out the jeep today at Trail Jeeps! While I was there I also add a new fox steering stabilizer to match the shocks. I'm very happy with the amount of articulation at full stuff.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467760109.854425.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467760126.179266.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467760138.269955.jpg

It's looking so sweet!!! I like the additions, when you testing it out? The spring creek run?

Thanks! Yes spring creek and I might do a run this weekend. My CC body mount tire carrier just showed up in the mail today too!

I got a lot of stuff done today! I finally got around to building a hard top cart so I could put the spider web shade/ soft top on for the rest of the summer! I am waiting on one last piece for my CC body mount tire carrier and then it's off to powder coat too!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467852735.530393.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467852760.743036.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467852777.598428.jpg

The hi lift jack mount for my Crawler Conceptz body mounted tire carrier showed up today so all of it is off to powder coat in the morning!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467867310.086091.jpg
Also I placed my order for the evo rear D ring mounts, 2 more d rings and a new hi lift jack isolator since mine broke. That should be it for new parts for a while except I do need to figure out a third break light. Does anyone know if you have to have a 3rd brake light in Colorado?

Top Bottom