The building of Bison

Rear bumper chop is started. Removed the water tanks and tube bars. It rear opens up the corners while still protecting that big ass spare.

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

Still need to cut and grid down the welds

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yeah the first time I lifted my 315s and the Hutchinson's I wasn't sure if stand up straight again. I shoulda used my shop stool or something..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Roll it up onto one of the back tires. Then it’s atleast waste height and you can lift the rest of the way with legs instead of back.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Roll it up onto one of the back tires. Then it’s atleast waste height and you can lift the rest of the way with legs instead of back.

If I’m not feeling it eddies way I’ll lay it at a steep angle on the hitch receiver the pick up the end on the ground and stand it up on the receiver and hook the wheel onto the carrier. Then it’s only a short lift to center it and I try to use one of my legs to lift it that little way.

So after you got to drive with the new setup what are your impressions? I've got questions!
Have the driving characteristics changed?
Do you notice the additional weight and center of gravity change?
Do the 5:38's make up for the 40" tires?
Do the C sidewalls ride any different than the E's?
Turning radius change at all?

I'm sure I'll think of more....:D

So after you got to drive with the new setup what are your impressions? I've got questions!

Subscribed just to read the answers to these lol

Sorry it’s been a long Friday...

I still have some dialing in to do but so far this is where I’m at.

For the most part it drives just as it did with the 37s and 4:88s. All the shift points are good and it’s not searching for gears on hills or the highway and it still shifts quick when you hit the gas. Braking I think is better than with the old setup. These bigger brakes and the JK8 booster have definitely made a big difference there. And As I said before, it flys down the highway with no vibration up to 85 mph which it never has before.

Turning sucks, but that’s on me. I have a bunch of clearance at full lock and need to grind down my stops this weekend to maximize my turn radius and clearance. It’s a bit flighty on the highway and need to add some more castor to correct that. And I need to go flex it to start getting these bump stops dialed in.

As far as movement goes and sidewalls, I have a hard time telling. Two of the 4 kings are shot and need to be rebuilt. I’m feeling more swaying than I have in the past which could be that or it could be in part to the bigger side walls on the tires and the C range. Regardless, I’m going to go to coilovers next month. I’m 99% set on accutune/2.5” fox adjustable right now. I just can’t justify going full DTD as much as I want it.

It really drives just like it did though, I was quite surprised. It doesn’t feel too high or unsafe at all. It’s a bit more of a step to get in, but I expected that. All in all I’m really happy with it. Hope this helps.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

For the most part it drives just as it did with the 37s and 4:88s. All the shift points are good and it’s not searching for gears on hills or the highway and it still shifts quick when you hit the gas. Braking I think is better than with the old setup. These bigger brakes and the JK8 booster have definitely made a big difference there. And As I said before, it flys down the highway with no vibration up to 85 mph which it never has before.

Turning sucks, but that’s on me. I have a bunch of clearance at full lock and need to grind down my stops this weekend to maximize my turn radius and clearance. It’s a bit flighty on the highway and need to add some more castor to correct that. And I need to go flex it to start getting these bump stops dialed in.

As far as movement goes and sidewalls, I have a hard time telling. Two of the 4 kings are shot and need to be rebuilt. I’m feeling more swaying than I have in the past which could be that or it could be in part to the bigger side walls on the tires and the C range. Regardless, I’m going to go to coilovers next month. I’m 99% set on accutune/2.5” fox adjustable right now. I just can’t justify going full DTD as much as I want it.

It really drives just like it did though, I was quite surprised. It doesn’t feel too high or unsafe at all. It’s a bit more of a step to get in, but I expected that. All in all I’m really happy with it. Hope this helps.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I hear ya on the long day. This has been a long week....

I forgot about the brakes. Makes sense that they'd feel better. The Fusions are off of a Ram 1500, right?
Some of the swaying could be from the brand new tires too. Pretty big lugs on those TG's.
Thanks for the answers. I could immediately feel the difference with my new axles the first time around. But your hybrid front probably
was close to your new front so there probably wasn't much change there.

I hear ya on the long day. This has been a long week....

I forgot about the brakes. Makes sense that they'd feel better. The Fusions are off of a Ram 1500, right?
Some of the swaying could be from the brand new tires too. Pretty big lugs on those TG's.
Thanks for the answers. I could immediately feel the difference with my new axles the first time around. But your hybrid front probably
was close to your new front so there probably wasn't much change there.

Almost no change in the axle setup, but I need to address the caster. I’m not sure if the shop adjusted the arms to favor the pinion, verses the caster, but with the lock out hubs, that’s less of a concern.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I had an old desk sitting in the garage that was 30” tall. That and a 2x4 it was at just about the right height. I just used the 2x4 to leverage it up a bit and it slid right on. Road side, I could get the spare down, but the flats not going back up! It’ll find a home in the back seat unless I have help.

The plan right now is to take off the tube corner off as well as the water tanks. I’ll leave the D ring mounts, the cross member and the spare tire mount as is for now and test it before I modify further.

The Rockhard bars will clear, so I am good there. They just need to be re-powder coated.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

https://www.warn.com/pullzall-cordless-winch-2-batteries-885005

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

This is exciting to hear from someone that hasn’t used a UD60 or PR60. The one person that I personally have wheeled with on tons says it drives like crap. He’s been afraid to go over 70mph.

What are your plans for those kings? [emoji6]

I had an old desk sitting in the garage that was 30” tall. That and a 2x4 it was at just about the right height. I just used the 2x4 to leverage it up a bit and it slid right on. Road side, I could get the spare down, but the flats not going back up! It’ll find a home in the back seat unless I have help.

The plan right now is to take off the tube corner off as well as the water tanks. I’ll leave the D ring mounts, the cross member and the spare tire mount as is for now and test it before I modify further.

The Rockhard bars will clear, so I am good there. They just need to be re-powder coated.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

https://www.warn.com/pullzall-cordless-winch-2-batteries-885005

So I just need to have a flat, under a tree, to hoist up from, got it [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

This is exciting to hear from someone that hasn’t used a UD60 or PR60. The one person that I personally have wheeled with on tons says it drives like crap. He’s been afraid to go over 70mph.

What are your plans for those kings? [emoji6]

I have a really needy brother in law that needs to get his Jeep up on 37s by Moab. 🤣. He’s going to buy them off me and rebuild them.

I can see why Eddie has no issue running his built Jeeps across the country, it really felt comfortable at highway speed.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

My thoughts, if you can make the DTD happen then go with it. I plan on moving to it next year because of some things I don’t like about the regular setup, specifically the rear. I have on multiple trips now hung up my rear coilovers and had to push the bottom plate back into place. Not a big deal, but I have also hit the reservoir countless times now too. In my opinion if your going to play on big rocks go with the DTD. The cantilever rear will keep things up and out of the way and will give you more travel. I love the adjustability, I am constantly changing mine depending on what I’m carrying and how I’m carrying, and if your willing to cut you can set your stance nice and low.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

My thoughts, if you can make the DTD happen then go with it. I plan on moving to it next year because of some things I don’t like about the regular setup, specifically the rear. I have on multiple trips now hung up my rear coilovers and had to push the bottom plate back into place. Not a big deal, but I have also hit the reservoir countless times now too. In my opinion if your going to play on big rocks go with the DTD. The cantilever rear will keep things up and out of the way and will give you more travel. I love the adjustability, I am constantly changing mine depending on what I’m carrying and how I’m carrying, and if your willing to cut you can set your stance nice and low.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You’re not helping... but good points

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I have a really needy brother in law that needs to get his Jeep up on 37s by Moab. 🤣. He’s going to buy them off me and rebuild them.

I can see why Eddie has no issue running his built Jeeps across the country, it really felt comfortable at highway speed.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Haha understand that. Besides, we need more people on 37s and 40s for Moab! I love it when I go out and my 37s make my rig one of the smaller ones. Gives me a good challenge and I usually learn more

Top Bottom