TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

Just figured I'd add a thought about what I think is a pretty darn nice design... just given all the harping on the design of this Teraflex carrier. I purchased a MetalCloak front and rear bumper with tire carrier. Couldn't be happier. The tire sits on a triangulated steel platform, so the weight is actually supported mainly by the platform, not the studs. It also integrates an angled skid plate on the bottom of that piece, too, just incase of a crazy departure angle. The mount for the studs is adjustable up and down for the size of the tire (so that it will sit on the platform regardless of tire size) and ALSO in and out to adjust for wheel backspacing. Well thought out, IMO. Stout as hell.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

Not saying one is better than another. Just an alternative. Seems that this design takes out alot of worry about flex / fatigue failure at the point the wheel bolts to the carrier. :) Oh, and no flaming please for the stock tires there... old pic :)

P.S. Thanks, Eddie, and anyone else who posts issues like this in an attempt to keep us all safe! My kids in the backseat appreciate it!! :yup:

Thanks for this posting Eddie, because l was just about to purchase this item.

Honestly, I do hope that I've been able to save you some money. As I had said in another post, Mel has been carrying a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler mounted on an ATX Slab bead lock on his factory tailgate mount for months now and even ran the entire JK-Experience with it and without any problems. While even he would admit this is not the best way to carry a spare, the factory hinges and carrier have proven themselves like they always have to hold up just fine.

Honestly, I do hope that I've been able to save you some money. As I had said in another post, Mel has been carrying a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler mounted on an ATX Slab bead lock on his factory tailgate mount for months now and even ran the entire JK-Experience with it and without any problems. While even he would admit this is not the best way to carry a spare, the factory hinges and carrier have proven themselves like they always have to hold up just fine.

You did save me the money and so glad I saw this posting you put up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You did save me the money and so glad I saw this posting you put up.

If you choose to just use the factory tire carrier, you NEED to make sure that the sidewalls of your spare is pushing firmly against the rubber isolators. This will prevent any jiggling and that is critical to keep things from breaking. But of course, you would be much better served to carry your spare off your tailgate just to prevent serious damage to it when wheeling.

If you choose to just use the factory tire carrier, you NEED to make sure that the sidewalls of your spare is pushing firmly against the rubber isolators. This will prevent any jiggling and that is critical to keep things from breaking. But of course, you would be much better served to carry your spare off your tailgate just to prevent serious damage to it when wheeling.

For what it is worth, my spare is a 35 and I put on daystar bump stops back there till I find a tire/bumper combo. Thanks again for all your help.

okie dokie imma stir stuff up :bleh: ill first start out with name calling, Mr Ed Edd or Eddie (didnt know your name preference so id thought id cover all of them) you are a very insightful considerate and caring person to take all this abused keyboard abuse and still want to keep as many people safe as possible!!! shame on you!! :cheesy: however reading about all the flammers on here makes me wanna rage on my keyboard!!! :doh: now i will say i originally joined this forum because of the videos that WOL posted on youtube, his group and him are always helping others!!! this is the main reason i joined just good peoples here! now in regards to the trolls on here... stick it where the sun dont shine and grow up!!! so in conclusion Eddie thank you for taking the time to post about weaknesses in a product and making a serious effort to keep as many people as safe as possible!!!! :drinks:

LOL. I was afraid to run an ATX Slab with 37" Km2 on my rear tailgate, and the only trails I see are the ones that lead to the mall!:cheesy:

Do you only put that there for trail use? Thus, running "truck nutz" the rest of the time? :cheesy:

LMAO! Truck nutz. Thought about getting some of those for my sister in law. Chrome ones!

Sent via Snow Flake in California on a 100 deg day

Do you only put that there for trail use? Thus, running "truck nutz" the rest of the time? :cheesy:

:cheesy:

Had forgotten about 'truck nutz'... :) You mean they don't really make your rig tougher, faster, and more bad-azz?? LOL!

:cheesy:

Had forgotten about 'truck nutz'... :) You mean they don't really make your rig tougher, faster, and more bad-azz?? LOL!

Actually they make you an instant MMA expert and add 15 HP to your rig. But shhhhhh, it's a flat biller's secret. :clap2:

Hey WOL, thanks again for your brutally honest product evaluation. It is a great service to all of us to have the benefit of you and other members experience when deciding how to spend our hard earned dollars!!!

I'm currently in the market for a carrier for my 37" spare... with this information overload, can you distill things down a little. I'll be at SEMA crawling around everybody's products looking for the right one for me. ( love how you see people laying on the carpet under Jeeps at SEMA & I'm one of those guys )

I am a no rear bumper guy with EVO frame plugs. so something that doesn't require a bumper is my preference. I have experienced departures in Colorado and Utah that would probably impact a spare if I had it on...

Thanks !!!

Hey WOL, thanks again for your brutally honest product evaluation. It is a great service to all of us to have the benefit of you and other members experience when deciding how to spend our hard earned dollars!!!

I'm currently in the market for a carrier for my 37" spare... with this information overload, can you distill things down a little. I'll be at SEMA crawling around everybody's products looking for the right one for me. ( love how you see people laying on the carpet under Jeeps at SEMA & I'm one of those guys )

I am a no rear bumper guy with EVO frame plugs. so something that doesn't require a bumper is my preference. I have experienced departures in Colorado and Utah that would probably impact a spare if I had it on...

Thanks !!!

I'm in the same boat and either going with genrite so I can keep the no bumper look or the new poison spyder rear bumper that has a heim joint so it opens the tailgate all in one motion just not sure if I want to lay out the extra coin for the ps. I love the Evo carrier but those corners just ruin the look for me

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Top Bottom