Take offs 3.73. Thinking of buying.

Could be from a Sahara back country. They use the 3.73 hearing in that as well. I think it is a d30 front and d44 rear. But not sure. That said 400 seems very high for a used set. Would be different if they only had a few miles on them before he changed them, but keep in mind you have no idea how he drove on and off road so you never know if it will last long.

sent from your basement
300 miles on them. Has all the paper work from when he bought the jeep new and when he had all new gears done.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

300 miles on them. Has all the paper work from when he bought the jeep new and when he had all new gears done.

I understand you want better performance, but keep in mind you would be buying gears twice and installing them twice. And for only a slightly lower gearing it just Sony going to be worth it really.

sent from your basement

I had 3.73s and 35s with the 3.6 Pentastar on my last Jeep and found it to still be disappointing.

If it were me, I wouldn't waste your money on them. I'd rather go with 4.88s. That way, you'd be good for 35s and okay for 37s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Idk that I would even waste time and money re-gearing the D30. For sure I wouldn't add a limited slip or locker of any kind! The 3.73's are good for stock 32/33" tires maximum! Rolling your 35's on the 3.73's will be just just as disappointing as your 3.21's. I have seen plenty of pictures of you on the trail; enough to recommend that you should save your money and replace your axel with something better than your D30. I would try and find a take off D44 and re-gear once to something that will work for both your current 35's and future 37's like Nate mentioned.

Last edited:
Idk that I would even waste time and money re-gearing the D30. For sure I wouldn't add a limited slip or locker of any kind! The 3.73's are good for stock 32/33" tires maximum! Rolling your 35's on the 3.73's will be just just as disappointing as your 3.21's. I have seen plenty of pictures of you on the trail; enough to recommend that you should save your money and replace your axel with something better than your D30. I would try and find a take off D44 and re-gear once to something that will work for both your current 35's and future 37's like Nate mentioned.
Your right. I ended up passing on the offer. A regear to 4.88 is in the future. Hopefully this year. I have beat the d30 pretty hard. Bent the tube. Had it pulled back. Replaced seals. And had a truss put on. Costing me nothing. I have been looking into a new axle. But as for now I think the d30 is staying until I build everything else around it. An axle replacement will happen. Lets see how long it takes before I am forced to upgrade. Thank you.

I gave away the 4.10's from my jeep. Paid $700+ as a factory option too. Went 4.88's and I'm waaaay happier.

D44 gears won't fit a D30 period. Not even on Bruce Jenner's Jeep.

You sir are a sarcasm genius...

But getting back on topic, take it from a guy who "compromised" and basically has had Axle work three times. Do not go below 4.56 on your jump in gears or you will regret it. I installed a Truetrac on my D30 at a time where I had to "Settle" because I had to use the money I was saving for a PR44 for house and other things. While not bad, unless you wheel every weekend or will never upgrade your 30, you won't get your money's worth on the TT, even though it is a fantastic product. Also, if your final goal is 37's, and play in the hard stuff, rocks, etc, The TT might precipitate other component failures like Ring and pinion or shafts so pass on those gears and save your cash for something stronger

You sir are a sarcasm genius...

But getting back on topic, take it from a guy who "compromised" and basically has had Axle work three times. Do not go below 4.56 on your jump in gears or you will regret it. I installed a Truetrac on my D30 at a time where I had to "Settle" because I had to use the money I was saving for a PR44 for house and other things. While not bad, unless you wheel every weekend or will never upgrade your 30, you won't get your money's worth on the TT, even though it is a fantastic product. Also, if your final goal is 37's, and play in the hard stuff, rocks, etc, The TT might precipitate other component failures like Ring and pinion or shafts so pass on those gears and save your cash for something stronger
My ultimate goal is to upgrade the 30 and yes go to 37s. Like most people life happens and puts these goals on hold for a while. Therefore I am tied to the d30 for a couple of years. While I may regret it later when I finally upgrade to the pr44. I feel that regearing to 4.88s while still using my d30 will put some ease on the transmission And other components. I will probably pass on the TT though. I feel as if I'm not really settling but instead working with what I have. I guess at this time it comes down to knowing my limits as well as the my rigs limits. I do appreciate the first hand information. And again. If I understood right I'll pass on the TT.

My ultimate goal is to upgrade the 30 and yes go to 37s. Like most people life happens and puts these goals on hold for a while. Therefore I am tied to the d30 for a couple of years. While I may regret it later when I finally upgrade to the pr44. I feel that regearing to 4.88s while still using my d30 will put some ease on the transmission And other components. I will probably pass on the TT though. I feel as if I'm not really settling but instead working with what I have. I guess at this time it comes down to knowing my limits as well as the my rigs limits. I do appreciate the first hand information. And again. If I understood right I'll pass on the TT.

Regearing is cool and you should do it even if you later move on to a PR44 or something else, just hold on the TT, that's at least $500 there you can put towards the real upgrade. I did the TT upgrade two years and have wheeled with it maybe 10 times, so I can wholeheartedly say Gusset your D30, re gear and wheel it like that.

Regearing is cool and you should do it even if you later move on to a PR44 or something else, just hold on the TT, that's at least $500 there you can put towards the real upgrade. I did the TT upgrade two years and have wheeled with it maybe 10 times, so I can wholeheartedly say Gusset your D30, re gear and wheel it like that.
Awesome. Thank you for the first hand experience. I definitely will pass on the TT and save that extra for my future pr44.

Top Bottom