Stubby vs full width bumpers

In5ane1

Looked for this topic on here, maybe not long enough, but what are the big points for stubby vs full width.

I guess I'm looking at this from more of a protection standpoint vs weight...lot of tradeoff one way or another.

Thinking more on road protection from crazy people and off road functionality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not just about weight, there are factors such as approach angle, and tire clearance.
Of course visual preference is a big part as well.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

I think generally on a trail rig you would want full width to push down brush and protect your fenders, while a rock rig would be stubby because you just don't want it in the way of approach angle on rocks etc.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Everything outside the frame rails on a factory bumper is just plastic and offers little to no protection on the trail or even in a collision. Full width steel bumpers will provide a bit more collision protection but really, all you're protecting are your tires and fenders. Of course, the down side to them is that they are a lot heavier and they'll rob you of approach angles. The primary function of a stubby bumper is function. Above and beyond looks, they will provide your front tires with an unobstructed approach to obstacles. Being that they are smaller, they will weigh less too.

I have run both full width and stubby bumpers and will only run stubbies now. There simply is no comparison on the trail.

Everything outside the frame rails on a factory bumper is just plastic and offers little to no protection on the trail or even in a collision. Full width steel bumpers will provide a bit more collision protection but really, all you're protecting are your tires and fenders. Of course, the down side to them is that they are a lot heavier and they'll rob you of approach angles. The primary function of a stubby bumper is function. Above and beyond looks, they will provide your front tires with an unobstructed approach to obstacles. Being that they are smaller, they will weigh less too.

I have run both full width and stubby bumpers and will only run stubbies now. There simply is no comparison on the trail.

x2

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

That's kinda what I was thinking. All the additional weight doesn't buy you a lot more protection. Most of my riding will be trails...not rocks. But there are a lot of deer here. Wondering how much damage to jeep would occur ...say hitting a deer while going down the road with a stubby vs full width. Surely someone has had one of these incidents.

That's kinda what I was thinking. All the additional weight doesn't buy you a lot more protection. Most of my riding will be trails...not rocks. But there are a lot of deer here. Wondering how much damage to jeep would occur ...say hitting a deer while going down the road with a stubby vs full width. Surely someone has had one of these incidents.

Well, it wasn't a deer but, chris@offroadevolution did hit 2 antelope doing about 75 MPH and with little more than a Quarter Pounder stubby front bumper. His Jeep came out fine - the antelope, not so fine.

Well, it wasn't a deer but, chris@offroadevolution did hit 2 antelope doing about 75 MPH and with little more than a Quarter Pounder stubby front bumper. His Jeep came out fine - the antelope, not so fine.

Lol...I'd say that's pretty close!!!

So if you guys were to suggest a good entry stubby or mid that won't break bank...what would it be? I'd prefer fog light holes.

Last edited:
So I you guys were to suggest a good entry stubby or mid that won't break bank...what would it be. I'd prefer fog light holes.

Warn makes one for $499 with factory fog light mounts. Just depends on what your definition of "breaking the bank" is...

Warn makes one for $499 with factory fog light mounts. Just depends on what your definition of "breaking the bank" is...

Over $2...

I'm kidding.

Idk, looking for durability and economical price.

Rough country makes a stubby with fog lights and winch mount for 375 I don't think u said anything about needing a winch mount tho

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just look for bumpers that use 3/8 or 1/4 steel and it will be plenty durable. The evo quarter pounder is 1/4 steel. I have a jcr which is 3/8 and has taken some hits on rocks with no problem just a little touch paint. was around $400 shipped. (EDIT: Was actually closer to $500 Shipped, I got it on sale direct from JCR.)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379704819.523470.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379704840.464379.jpg

Last edited:
You must be Jeepin on a budget lol...anything decent will cost $500 plus depending on options.

You are right. Have a 18 month old....teaching him to work on jeep with me though. I may just use a winch mount on stocker for now if all else fails.

Just look for bumpers that use 3/8 or 1/4 steel and it will be plenty durable. The evo quarter pounder is 1/4 steel. I have a jcr which is 3/8 and has taken some hits on rocks with no problem just a little touch paint. was around $400 shipped.
View attachment 49850

View attachment 49851

Love that bumper! Is there a waiting period for their bumpers? Also did you have to paint it?

You are right. Have a 18 month old....teaching him to work on jeep with me though. I may just use a winch mount on stocker for now if all else fails.

I hear ya bro, I have a 6 year old son. We work on my JK together...love to spend quality time father/son bonding!

I would recommend a modified stock front bumper and a winch mounting plate for those Jeepin on a budget.

Top Bottom