Steering gear box ???...tire shake?

saravonshep

Can a bad gear box make my tires shake....driver side? Ive had some buddy mecanics check out my front end and all they could find with some play was the steer box at the pitman arm, coming out of the gear box.

Not that I've ever seen. If you have a "shake" in your tire while moving, you most likely have a tire that's out of balance, wheel that is out of round of something to that effect.

Thanks. I just had the tires rotated and still have that shake, even stopped at discount tire and had them put the spare on...still shaking. The axle has been pretty much rebuilt. The steering wheel will start bouncing back and forth and ill stick my head out the window and see the driver side tire wobbling. When turning left it feels loose and sloppy turning to the right feels fine:doh:

I have the same problem with my 07 JKU 4" lift with 35's.. at 40 mph it shakes and vibrates. I replaces the front driveshaft (boot was gone) and will be replacing the Tie Rod ends as well as the pitman end this weekend. I hope this fixes the problem. I also replaced the 17" ProComp wheels and tires with American Racing wheels and GY Duratrac tires. I let you know next week if it fixes the problem or if it was just a huge waste of $$$$

Last edited:
Sounds like all of you have Death Wobble. My JK did it at 70mph. Scared the crap outta me and my wife n daughter. I believe Eddie posted a stickie in the forum. If not, Planman on JK-Forum has a great check list to use to find out where your shake could be coming from.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

Sounds like a balance needs to be done to me. i had a little wheel shake (back right) till i figure out i knocked one of my weights off. nice and smooth since.

also check your shock on that side...if it's bad it will allow the tire to bounce too much and may translate to a shake.

Top Bottom