Stationary Air Compressor Recommendations

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Wasn't sure if this would be the best place or the Noob zone, if there's a better page please feel free to move this.

My 20 yo 2 gallon craftsman air compressor is on it's last leg and I'm looking to upgrade/future proof with my next purchase and now that the garage is close to finished.

I mostly use my compressor to fill tires or to power nail, staple, or caulk guns, etc. If I ever have free time I'd like to get more into woodworking. And possibly get into some metal working (welding/plasma cutting/etc) equipment. I like to tinker, build, and modify things (tools and time warranted).

I know plasma cutters are CFM intensive. Not sure what other tools would be CFM intensive that I'd want. But to make sure the compressor is future proof I am thinking something with a 40-60 gal tank (40-60 gal is ideal for size but can go larger) and >10 cfm at 90 psi. I'd spend up to $2k on a new unit, but would like to keep it around $1k as i'll have $500-1k tied up in wiring, air line, particulate filters/dryer, etc.

I think single stage is adequate for my needs, it looks like 2-stage units just provide a higher pressure output. But if there's other benefits to going that route I'm not aware of I"m open to suggestions!

So far I'm looking at 3 units from Tractor Supply.
~$600 Dwalt DCXM601
~$1100 Ingersoll Rand SS4L5
~$2000 EMAX EI05V080I1

I'm not tied to these brands or TSC. These units seem to fulfill my requirements and TSC is close. I'd appreciate any information on single stage vs 2 stage that may convince me to go 2 stage. Any input on these compressors. Or recommendations for other compressors to look at would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

CalSgt

Hooked
Two stage is for higher output pressure and single stage can typically produce more CFM, but most two stages will still produce what you are looking for.

DA sanders, blast cabinets, some paint guns and yes plasma cutters are all very needy in the CFM department. When I use my plasma cutter i'm usually doing one cut at a time even though I have lots of air, just the nature of cutting things I guess. If you were doing artsy stuff where you would be cutting designs out of flat sheet metal you would definitely need the extra capacity.

TSC, Walmart, Costco, and other big box stores often sell an inferior unit to what you would get else ware. They contract with manufactures for their own variation of compressors (and other things) to get the price down. There is usually a trade off somewhere, either performance, reliability, or longevity... For the average guy these are still great compressors.

If you are going to mount it in your shop I highly recommend getting vibration pads to mount it to, it will make it way quieter...

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Two stage is for higher output pressure and single stage can typically produce more CFM, but most two stages will still produce what you are looking for.

DA sanders, blast cabinets, some paint guns and yes plasma cutters are all very needy in the CFM department. When I use my plasma cutter i'm usually doing one cut at a time even though I have lots of air, just the nature of cutting things I guess. If you were doing artsy stuff where you would be cutting designs out of flat sheet metal you would definitely need the extra capacity.

TSC, Walmart, Costco, and other big box stores often sell an inferior unit to what you would get else ware. They contract with manufactures for their own variation of compressors (and other things) to get the price down. There is usually a trade off somewhere, either performance, reliability, or longevity... For the average guy these are still great compressors.

If you are going to mount it in your shop I highly recommend getting vibration pads to mount it to, it will make it way quieter...
I definitely plan to mount it. I don't think it'd shoot off like a 2k psi tank of Argon but I'm sure it would scoot if it got punctured somehow while pressurized. Thanks for the recommendation on vibration pads! Going on list of what I'll need. I knew big box stores tend to get inferior/watered down products. I figure if the specs on paper are accurate it'll do what I need. But do you have a recommendation on non-big box places to look for compressor? Just not sure who locally would have good products, thanks!

Spazbyt

Hooked
Ingersoll Rand is a trusted brand by alot of professionals. Look for the duty cycle on the compressors. Some units arent designed to be run continuously which if your anything like me your not going to wait for it to fill back up. If you medi blast or use sanders often you will be glad to know your not going to cook the pump or motor.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I’ve had good luck with the DeWalt brand in 2 gal. Capacity. It seems to work good for smaller jobs and tire filling. As far as running a plasma I would want a bigger capacity tank with higher CFM.

CalSgt

Hooked
I definitely plan to mount it. I don't think it'd shoot off like a 2k psi tank of Argon but I'm sure it would scoot if it got punctured somehow while pressurized. Thanks for the recommendation on vibration pads! Going on list of what I'll need. I knew big box stores tend to get inferior/watered down products. I figure if the specs on paper are accurate it'll do what I need. But do you have a recommendation on non-big box places to look for compressor? Just not sure who locally would have good products, thanks!
Compressor World has lots of info & shopping tools, I kind of like this Quincy vertical 100% duty cycle and 15 CFM. Its a little higher priced than what you were looking to spend though.

https://www.compressorworld.com/qui...-cfm-230v-1-phase-vertical-pro-2v41c60vc.html

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Compressor World has lots of info & shopping tools, I kind of like this Quincy vertical 100% duty cycle and 15 CFM. Its a little higher priced than what you were looking to spend though.

https://www.compressorworld.com/qui...-cfm-230v-1-phase-vertical-pro-2v41c60vc.html
That's going on the list! It's on the high side but in my budget. Hadn't even thought about media blasting mentioned above, but that could be in my cards as well. I usually pull out the grinder and flapper wheel when I need to remove rust or paint. But nothing beats blasting crap off...

Bierpower

Hooked
If you have the space I would consider building a closet around the compressor. It helps with the noise while you're working and also keeps lots of dust and things out of the compressor filters.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you have the space I would consider building a closet around the compressor. It helps with the noise while you're working and also keeps lots of dust and things out of the compressor filters.
This is what I would do or put it outside covered. I don’t want that noise in my shop.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
This is what I would do or put it outside covered. I don’t want that noise in my shop.

I'm going to put it in a corner I can box in if needed. But I'm looking at that Quincy that CalSgt linked. It's around 73 db which should be quieter than a vacuum cleaner. If it is annoying I'll wall it in. The company offers financing so I'm seeing if I can finance it and the ~$1k of additional accessories and whatnot I'm looking at. If not I'll stuff money in an envelope for a few months and buy it this summer.

Primo82

Caught the Bug

ROFL, I'm sure you could attach a megaphone... Errr..... 'Extra Muffler' to the compressor as well. Just to make sure your neighbor is happy!

Although I'll be honest with you. I haven't actually liked a politician on either side of the line since... 🤔🤔🤔 I'll have to get back with you on that. The few times I actively supported a candidate I was disappointed to find, once in office, they were the same as every other asshat...

Bierpower

Hooked
I'm going to put it in a corner I can box in if needed. But I'm looking at that Quincy that CalSgt linked. It's around 73 db which should be quieter than a vacuum cleaner. If it is annoying I'll wall it in. The company offers financing so I'm seeing if I can finance it and the ~$1k of additional accessories and whatnot I'm looking at. If not I'll stuff money in an envelope for a few months and buy it this summer.
I just can't stand the noise. Even 73dB is enough to drown out the radio for a minute or two and kill my groove. That is pretty quiet for a compressor though.

Top Bottom