Sound coming from the rear driving me crazy

zrozulu

Guys, I have been chasing down this sound for some time now. Seems to be getting worse, which allowed me to capture it on video. Can anyone please take a listen and give me some ideas? My thought is u-joints but I am not sure. It happens when going over bumps, or turning and turning back, but it is not cyclical. Thank you.

Guys, I have been chasing down this sound for some time now. Seems to be getting worse, which allowed me to capture it on video. Can anyone please take a listen and give me some ideas? My thought is u-joints but I am not sure. It happens when going over bumps, or turning and turning back, but it is not cyclical. Thank you.

Well there are no ujoints on the rear. Have you checked the torque on the track bar or sway bar end links; sounds to me that one or more of those are shot or are very lose.

Sounds to me like something rattling in cargo area or a bolt dropped into frame.

Well there are no ujoints on the rear. Have you checked the torque on the track bar or sway bar end links; sounds to me that one or more of those are shot or are very lose.
I will check it out. I know I have a bushing in the front that is bad, but the sound is definitely coming from the rear.

I will check it out. I know I have a bushing in the front that is bad, but the sound is definitely coming from the rear.
you would be surprised how badly sound travels in the Jeep. I chased a sound that I was sure it was something loose in the back and it turned out to be the hardtop screws that hold it towards the front under the removable panels.

Actually found it by accident when I took the panels off and notice the bolt had backed out.

have you jacked the rear up and spun the tires by hand? also check that all the coils are seated properly, if they twist out of their seat it makes a similar noise.

you would be surprised how badly sound travels in the Jeep. I chased a sound that I was sure it was something loose in the back and it turned out to be the hardtop screws that hold it towards the front under the removable panels.

Actually found it by accident when I took the panels off and notice the bolt had backed out.

have you jacked the rear up and spun the tires by hand? also check that all the coils are seated properly, if they twist out of their seat it makes a similar noise.

You might be right. Surely this has to be making noise when I drive right? This is the front passenger side. I feel like I hear it in the rear passenger side.

You might be right. Surely this has to be making noise when I drive right? This is the front passenger side. I feel like I hear it in the rear passenger side.

that sounds like it, check the other links for bad bushings before ordering replacement bushings.
I'd pull it off and take a drive, betting that's it.

that sounds like it, check the other links for bad bushings before ordering replacement bushings.
I'd pull it off and take a drive, betting that's it.

I watched videos of changing those bushing and decided to just replace the links with JKS adjustables.

Top Bottom