Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Looks delicious! How did that cheese turn out?
Sorry, just saw this.
The cheese is awesome. We smoke it and then use it for lots of different things over the following couple of weeks. Sandwiches, omelets, and snacks.

Curious about this too - and which types of cheese 😋

Mild cheeses seem to hold the smoke better. Mozzarella and Mild Cheddar work great.

Recently smoked some Swiss and Pepper Jack and they were really tasty! When smoking cut into strips and stack tall edge up as shown in the photo for maximum smoke flavor without the cheese turning into a molten pile of goo. Also keep a close eye on it as there is a very short time between ‘smoked cheese slices’ and a fondue.
Ask me how I know! 😂🤣

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Smoking a pork loin from the hog we bought in the spring. If you have never had ‘Heritage Pork’ you should. Modern farm raised pork has been bred to make it as lean as possible. This often makes it dry and tasteless. ‘Heritage’ pork has more fat (taste). In addition these are pastured hogs so they wander around in a field eating acorns and such as opposed to living in a small pen. The taste difference is amazing.

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Smoking a pork loin from the hog we bought in the spring. If you have never had ‘Heritage Pork’ you should. Modern farm raised pork has been bred to make it as lean as possible. This often makes it dry and tasteless. ‘Heritage’ pork has more fat (taste). In addition these are pastured hogs so they wander around in a field eating acorns and such as opposed to living in a small pen. The taste difference is amazing.

View attachment 396359

View attachment 396360
Like this?
IMG_8654.jpeg

Brute

Hooked
There's just no comparison between heritage breeds and factory farm raised meat. A friend of mine raises these Idaho Pasture pigs. They're a grazing pig and just cool as hell. My problem is we'd never have the damn things butchered and they'd become pets 🙄

View attachment 396374
I don’t have that problem…just don’t name them, unless it’s Pork Belly, Prosciutto or Ham Hock…

Top Bottom