Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Are you guys equating leaving meat out for a week… to a 12hr smoke?
Lol, no not really. But I do avoid smoking meats that low for that long. My point was that while I might agree the bacteria is dead at 160 I wouldn’t eat or serve it to others the same way I wouldn’t eat a rotten piece cooked to appropriate temp. Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was over-eggagerating. From a more practical standpoint, I wouldn’t cook and eat a piece of meat I left out on the counter overnight. Hope that makes sense.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Lol, no not really. But I do avoid smoking meats that low for that long. My point was that while I might agree the bacteria is dead at 160 I wouldn’t eat or serve it to others the same way I wouldn’t eat a rotten piece cooked to appropriate temp. Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was over-eggagerating. From a more practical standpoint, I wouldn’t cook and eat a piece of meat I left out on the counter overnight. Hope that makes sense.
I get it… It wasnt my intention for the cook to Stall in the 130’s at 4:00 in the morning.. but the grill only dropped to about 160 and I only lost about 3 hrs… Then it was quickly up to correct temps… The brisket still came out really good though.. we just had it again for dinner. But it for sure could've been better. I’ll get it right next time… don’t wanna upset Kenny Loggins again. 😬

kevman65

Hooked
Have a brisket and a butt on the pellet smoker. Went on at 03:30 EDT this morning.

Brisket came through the stall about an hour ago and wrapped it in butcher paper.

Butt hit 160 a little bit ago and wrapped it in foil, shiny side in.

First time wrapping either, but I hear it makes for a moister meat after the cook and rest. We shall see. If I don't like the outcome I won't do it again.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Smoked some mozzarella and mild cheddar cheese along with Mac and Cheese. In addition mild wings (wife) and hot wings with all kinds of hot sauce and green Hatch chili powder.

I smoked the cheese first, 250 degrees for 10 minutes. I cut into small chunks to better distribute the smoke. Last time I smoked cheese I was weed-eating while smoking and the cheese turned into a pile of melted goo that ended up in the bottom of my smoker! 🤣😂

The wings basted over night and were cooked for 2-1/2 hours at 250 degrees.

The Mac & Cheese had panko bread crumbs with Old Bay seasoning and cooked at 250 degrees for 1 hour.

1657494375232.jpeg

1657494442859.jpeg

1657494464646.jpeg

1657494492850.jpeg

1657494520851.jpeg

1657494554677.jpeg

1657494606290.jpeg

Attachments

• 1657494404694.jpeg
    1657494404694.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 2

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Smoked some mozzarella and mild cheddar cheese along with Mac and Cheese. In addition mild wings (wife) and hot wings with all kinds of hot sauce and green Hatch chili powder.

I smoked the cheese first, 250 degrees for 10 minutes. I cut into small chunks to better distribute the smoke. Last time I smoked cheese I was weed-eating while smoking and the cheese turned into a pile of melted goo that ended up in the bottom of my smoker! 🤣😂

The wings basted over night and were cooked for 2-1/2 hours at 250 degrees.

The Mac & Cheese had panko bread crumbs with Old Bay seasoning and cooked at 250 degrees for 1 hour.

View attachment 376821

View attachment 376823

View attachment 376824

View attachment 376825

View attachment 376826

View attachment 376827

View attachment 376828
YUM!!! :cool:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Can't remember if this was talked about... does anyone recommend the GrillBlazer Grill Gun or the Sous Vide Version (shorter - not as hot) for starting their charcoal? I've been using a plumbing torch...which works pretty good... not sure if the grill gun is worth the money.
grillgun.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Can't remember if this was talked about... does anyone recommend the GrillBlazer Grill Gun or the Sous Vide Version (shorter - not as hot) for starting their charcoal? I've been using a plumbing torch...which works pretty good... not sure if the grill gun is worth the money.
View attachment 376971
I’m sure you won’t listen and will do what you want but for a deep kettle bbq, no, don’t use it. The LP fills up the gun and will cut the flame down to almost nothing or nothing before the charcoal is lit. It can be used but it’s a pain. I have one and no longer use it on my egg. On my offset, it works great.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’m sure you won’t listen and will do what you want but for a deep kettle bbq, no, don’t use it. The LP fills up the gun and will cut the flame down to almost nothing or nothing before the charcoal is lit. It can be used but it’s a pain. I have one and no longer use it on my egg. On my offset, it works great.
Plumbing Torch it is... Thanks.

Top Bottom