Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

Smoking some pork butt for tomorrow. 9 hours slow and low...should be done about 11 pm tonight. The plan is to have pulled pork eggs Benedict tomorrow for breakfast, then pulled pork nachos and tacos tomorrow night.

View attachment 331098

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I like big butts...and I cannot lie...

You going to let it rest in a cooler insulated with towels overnight?

I know that works well with beef, not sure about pork.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’ll probably follow the recipe for my first time. It says to let it cool in the foil for 45 minutes then pull it apart. I’ll do all of that late tonight. And refrigerate it for a quick heating in the morning.

Smoking some pork butt for tomorrow. 9 hours slow and low...should be done about 11 pm tonight. The plan is to have pulled pork eggs Benedict tomorrow for breakfast, then pulled pork nachos and tacos tomorrow night.

View attachment 331098

Glad you’re going for the nachos! [emoji106]. I’m prepping one tonight to start in the early a.m. good luck to you.

I’ll probably follow the recipe for my first time. It says to let it cool in the foil for 45 minutes then pull it apart. I’ll do all of that late tonight. And refrigerate it for a quick heating in the morning.

I usually just let it rest in a pan on the counter. The foil will make the bark not as crispy. If you leave it on the counter in a pan for 45 minutes uncovered the center will still be like lava.

A good kitchen utensil to invest in for pork shoulder is a fat separator. I’ll share my master pork directions and I’m not saying it’s the best because that’s all based on opinion but it’s the best Iv ever had including any Iv bought across the country. Give me a few, dropping wife and kids off at boat dock

Change of plans. Used 3/4 of the leftover pork for BBQ sandwiches and smoked some corn with it. We will use the other 1/4 for nachos tomorrow night.

IMG_0207.jpg

Last edited:
Okay okay okay, so the way I make my pork. I take a 8lb shoulder and lather it lightly with mustard and my favorite rubs, throw it on the smoker with 3/8 cherry, 3/8 apple, 1/8 pecan, 1/8 hickory. I’ll smoke until it turns a dark red, basically until it appears finished and ready to serve (usually 160-170 internal).

At this point I will pan the shoulder and pour over 1 cup of apple juice, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, sprinkle brown sugar over the top, and a nice season of rub over the top. Foil the pan, insert the probe, and back on the smoker it goes until 205-210.

At 210 I pull the pan and bring it in, remove the foil and use my bear claws to remove the shoulder from the pan carefully so it doesn’t explode. Pour all juices into a fat separator(should be quite a bit of juices saved) and let it sit while you start shredding with the bear claws, fork, etc. once you see that your fat has separated and floated up pour ALL of the juices back into the pork evenly. This part is the key to having pork that is juicy and tender and PACKED with flavor(try the juice, you’ll see what I mean). From this point I will toss it a bit in the pan and season lightly with a little more rub.

This is the method I have came up with over the years and I can’t tell you how many people have been blown away by the flavor. Saving those juices and reintroducing them takes pulled pork to the next level, that’s for sure.

I have a really good sauce recipe as well if any of you like super sweet thin sauces. Goes extremely well with pulled pork

Took a swing at smoked pulled pork today. Started with pork rib sirloin. Gave it a base rub with about 3/4 mustard 1/4 local honey. Then made a rub with onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, fresh ground pepper, brown sugar and some season all.... sorry no real measurements I just go by eye. But the list goes from most to least used, just adjust to your linking. Have a pan catching drippings while it's smoked at around 200f to 220f. Then smoked it 7 hours (approximately 2.5 hours to 3 hours per pound will do). Till it hits 145f to 155f. Then throw it in the pan with all the drippings with a mix of juice that is around 3/4 apple juice ans 1/4 apple vinegar then cover with foil and let it stem at 200f to 220f or so till meat temp is around 205f. Then pull the meat from the pan shread it up and mix it with the juice. Let it sit for 30 min to a hour then serve!!! It's pretty good

That's right I'm a window licker, I can't spell, my grammar sucks!!!!

Son of a gun! Tried editing to add pictures, but I'm too slow in the head Haha!!! Gaze at my meat and enjoy Haha!!!!!20190724_144535.jpg20190724_184807.jpg20190724_184911.jpg

Maybe I could have changed a few things, let it soak longer, go for a few more hours? I'll never know because I won't get to taste the fully rested meat with my pack of animals I call a family!!!! Oh well, guess I'll have to go bigger next time..... Apparently 8 pounds isn't enough for two adults and two growing boys!!!

Top Bottom