Side Airbags

rescue7

Hi guys,

I'm ordering a new JKUR, and was picking out what I wanted. Do you guys think side airbags are worth getting, a waste of time, or don't really matter either way?

Just curious about everyone's opinion/insight. Honestly, I've never thought about them until seeing the option.

I appreciate your time!

Christopher

Well the side airbag is actually in the seat and in the event you want to upgrade or replace your seats this may become an issue. For me I do not have them I my Jeep but Canvas was purchased used and is a Sport. Honestly how effective will the side airbag be if you are running without doors? Is that going to be an option for you?

R/
Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What he said ^^^. The side air bags are in the seats and if you ever decide to upgrade them or replace them, it'll be an issue to deal with. I don't run them in my JK's because of this.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I wanted a little extra safety, so I got them. Furthermore, Im not entirely sure (I don't remember) but I believe they reduce your insurance. If you are planning on swapping out the seats, like Eddie said, you will have a headache down the road. If you plan on running factory seats, I'd get them.

One more tidbit that you can take whichever way you want....the more airbags, the easier it is to have your vehicle totalled in the event of an accident. For me personally, thats a good thing.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well the side airbag is actually in the seat and in the event you want to upgrade or replace your seats this may become an issue. For me I do not have them I my Jeep but Canvas was purchased used and is a Sport. Honestly how effective will the side airbag be if you are running without doors? Is that going to be an option for you?

R/
Will

I believe the side bags use the pillar for support and not the doors, so they should still do their job if you run doorless. The SRS would have "saved" this dummy's head.
api-rating-image.ashx

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Yes, airbags are supposedly safer. I had them in my 09. Went without on my 13 by choice. Seat covers do not work with them, not the popular choices at least. And I would be suspect of any that claim to work with airbags. I was also concerned about them getting wet and going bad.

Choices, choices.

Wizard

Side airbags are standard equipment now on Jeeps in Australia, we don't get the choice.

As has been said, getting seat covers to suit the seat mounted airbags is very limited. There are a few suppliers here, but not many.

I ended up getting a set of airbag compatible seat covers which are made out of wetsuit material from The Wet Seat.

1385497_392441880913789_7283910808794238575_n_zpsba6e2f5a.jpg

Last edited:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Neoprene looks nice when new, but then it stretches. Except in my wetsuits, which always shrink. :)

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Missed the photo edit. Those do look nice. If you are always top/doors on, then the safety factor may out weigh the water/maintenance concern.

Top Bottom