Should there be a limit on drivers age??????

Andy5160

Hooked
So two weeks ago one of the residents of the building that i menage who is pushing 90 simply stepped on the gas of her red Mustang went through the garage door, across the street where she moved parked car, through the iron fence of the property next door which i happened to be in charge of and finally 1923 construction building stopped her. She was pulled out by FDNY and NYPD without a single scratch. So i guess the question is should there be an age limit on such drivers or may be some sort of a certification process since this incident could have ended in death if there were pedestrians on the sidewalk in front of that garage door or across the street.

What do you think?

IMG_7326.JPG IMG_7320.JPG IMG_7324.JPG IMG_7322.JPG IMG_7323.JPG IMG_7328.JPG

Last edited:

Jackal01

Minimum age raised to 17 or 18 and a maximum age should be set with some sort of physical, situational cognitive tests I guess. No idea what those benchmarks should be but everyone ages differently obviously. Old drivers scare me as much as new drivers do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I'm not a fan of government over-regulation, but yes I think there should be some kind of testing/certification as you get older for driving a car. Spending a lot of time in Arizona where a ton of snowbirds frequent, it is amazing how the majority of them do not pay attention on the road, very scary. Then again, there's 20 and 30 year old drivers now who don't pay attention either. You can't regulate stupidity and competence.

I-Eat-Mud

I think that it would be very hard to say at a certain age you are unfit to drive. Just like its hard to say when somebody should be allowed to drive legally. Reoccurring tests would be better. My grandfather in his 80s seems to have no problem driving, and often makes fairly long trips in one go from Midwest Texas to Central Oklahoma. However by just past 65 my grandmother on my other side... we had to start getting her to give up her keys.

As a pretty libertarian leaning person I struggle with this issue because on one hand I don't think there should ever be licensing to exercise a right, but on the other hand I'm a Floridian and have to deal with all the people that move down here and forget how to drive. I don't think there should be a set age. I think instead we should have some stiff penalties for not voluntarily surrendering the license when you need to. this is how the medical requirements for pilots will work. If you are just doing it for fun and only flying certain types of aircraft you don't have to go to a specific doctor for a physical every so often anymore you can just see your regular doctor and voluntarily give up your medical when you can no longer safely fly.

Wait... am I reading right - that the driver of that red mustang was 90?? :shock:

there is a lady at my church that still drives herself to church every Sunday and she is 101. Sharp as a tack and other than driving slow like the grandma she is she does a really good job. Really cool lady.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I think that it would be very hard to say at a certain age you are unfit to drive. Just like its hard to say when somebody should be allowed to drive legally. Reoccurring tests would be better. My grandfather in his 80s seems to have no problem driving, and often makes fairly long trips in one go from Midwest Texas to Central Oklahoma. However by just past 65 my grandmother on my other side... we had to start getting her to give up her keys.

Couldn't agree with this more. My grandfather isn't allowed to drive anymore cause my dad and aunts/uncle took the keys away from him. My grandmother is still good to go at 80. My girlfriends grandmother is 90 and she can drive perfectly and prob drink me under the table as well lol!

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
Couldn't agree with this more. My grandfather isn't allowed to drive anymore cause my dad and aunts/uncle took the keys away from him. My grandmother is still good to go at 80. My girlfriends grandmother is 90 and she can drive perfectly and prob drink me under the table as well lol!

Drinking you under the table isnt hard........:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
there is a lady at my church that still drives herself to church every Sunday and she is 101. Sharp as a tack and other than driving slow like the grandma she is she does a really good job. Really cool lady.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I just thought it was cool. While most older folks probably shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car, I for one don't think age in and of itself is a determining factor on whether or not a person is capable of driving safely. As you had mentioned with flying, perhaps periodic testing should be required to help ensure elderly people are still capable of driving safely.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I just thought it was cool. While most older folks probably shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car, I for one don't think age in and of itself is a determining factor on whether or not a person is capable of driving safely. As you had mentioned with flying, perhaps periodic testing should be required to help ensure elderly people are still capable of driving safely.

Oh For sure, I didn't think you were saying to cut them off due to age. I was just telling you about another cool old lady. A mustang at 90 is pretty Bad Ass!

Ddays

Hooked
Yes, absolutely there should be some procedure or test that has to be completed at some point. But man, that's a slippery slope as there are so many variables to a persons abilities. The issue is at what point? Who sets the bar for that?
I really hate to see the gov't regulating one more thing.

GraniteCrystal

Yes, there should absolutely be a test for anyone over 70. Yearly. How hard is it to come in once a year for a 2 hour test when you're retired? No written, just driving. I'd happily commit to doing that myself. Too many times, people "feel bad taking away dad's keys" but dad is a huge liability on the road.

Top Bottom