Shock upgrade options

NAZ Jeeper

Hey there. Currently I have a Metalcloak 3.5‘ lift on 35s with the Old Man Emu long travel shocks. I’ve been running this set up for around 50K miles. I did the Rubicon this year. And I’ve done a lot of the rocky stuff in AZ which usually involves long dirt roads to get to the trails. I’m planning on Sand Hollow and Moab soon so that is the type of wheeling I enjoy. I am also strongly considering going to 37s. I don’t daily drive this but we do drive it to go wheeling in Co, and UT so it gets some road miles.

I’m looking to replace my shocks and am considering King OEM, Metalcloak 6pak, or something like the Evo bolt on, or not so bolt on, coil over. I’m looking for excellent articulation and decent high speed stability. I know the Evo system will cost around 3k more but is it 3k worth of performance and capability.

I am aware the the coil overs are more maintenance intensive and the set up is more involved but other than that I would like to see what the more experienced members think.

I personally wouldn’t spend any money on the 6-pack shocks. I currently have a second Jeep in the shop with them that need to be recharged with nitrogen only after a short period from the previous charge. MC also requires you to send them in to them for a full service/rebuild.

The EVO coilovers will work great for what you are wanting to achieve but don’t get me wrong, a good shock/coil suspension can still do very well in both areas.

Coilovers aren’t as bad as what you may think. The do provide much more tunability for your specific vehicle (lift height, coil rates etc) plus any reputable shop can service them for you. The service required/frequency also really depends on your wheeling.

NAZ Jeeper

Thanks. I’m pretty sure I can service the King coil overs myself anyway, I just don‘t think I can install them on my own. From what I understand I keep running my original lift kit, just add the coil overs?

JT@623

Hooked
I did this last year had the 3.5” metalcloak lift no 6 packs switched to the EVO coilovers and I am still running the MC control arms . Installed in a weekend and it was money well spent . It is pretty much a bolt on kit . Give Jeremy at disciple a call he will answer all your questions.

Top Bottom