scan tool location hook up

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
IDK man, you should be able to read any DTC's without messing with the upper (8 and 12 pin) plugs. One of the primary reasons for all of the rules and standardization of OBDII is so a smog tech can inspect it for DCT's. If the tech had to lay on their back and fight those damn 8 & 12 pin connectors the vehicle wouldn't meet OBD standards.

I was under the impression the upper connections for the "security gateway" only need to be bypassed with when you're changing stuff in the ECM like tire size and gear ratio.
Agreed. I have a nice scan tool that was $200 an plugs right in to the OBDII port quick and easy.

hbucki

i asked a question to xtool when i bought their unit if it would connect to the 2021 wrangler and they said i would need the 8 plus 12 cord to use their scanner

CalSgt

Hooked
i asked a question to xtool when i bought their unit if it would connect to the 2021 wrangler and they said i would need the 8 plus 12 cord to use their scanner
Well Sir good luck... It looks like your $500 scanner is primarily marketed for flashing ECM's and PROM chips for key fob re-programming but does a lot of other cool shit too.

If it won't read DCT's without bypassing the SGW I'd ask for my money back

jeeeep

Hooked
and that would be a correct answer but a very generic answer.

I use my Oreilly Auto purchased Bosch scanner for codes, bought it before I bought my 2018 JLU but with the update it works fine to read and clear codes on the JLU.

I use the Tazer JL to do other programming that require bypassing the SGW.

Is it possible to return it? unless you plan to reprogram the ECU it's a lot of scanner for code reading.

hbucki

i think i figured out how its done . to read codes on a 2018 or newer you plug into the odtd 2 with one plug off the scan tool . but to reset codes you plug in the 12 plus 8 connector and if you wanted to change something in the jeep program which i have no need for ,you take the two other loose wire and plug them into the star connector which is the green terminal strip located behind the glove box. i used a large plastic mirror that i bought today on amozon so i could see the two plugs above the obtd2 jeep scan ports.jpg star connector in jeep.jpg

hbucki

i think i figured out how its done . to read codes on a 2018 or newer you plug into the odtd 2 with one plug off the scan tool . but to reset codes you plug in the 12 plus 8 connector and if you wanted to change something in the jeep program which i have no need for ,you take the two other loose wire and plug them into the star connector which is the green terminal strip located behind the glove box. i used a large plastic mirror that i bought today on amozon so i could see the two plugs above the obtd2 View attachment 389039 View attachment 389040
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4D76NWB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details here is the connector that you have to use at xtool d8 scan tool

Top Bottom