Rubicon trail summer of 2022

desertrunner

Might be able to make the shift to June 20-23. Gotta check my dad's plans as well. My summer is still flexible but looks like the event calendar is free that week right now and it's before all the big jeep events

desertrunner

There is a Jeep jamboree and a jeepers jamboree. If you like crackheads and Toyotas go to the jeepers. If you like paved roads, go to the jeep. If you like neither, go in June or September.
I'm trying to avoid being on the trail with 1000 people if that's even possible.

Looks like my dad can work with June 20-23 as well so I think we will go with that for the time being

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Ir can be done in two days, but three is more fun, less stressed, and you get to enjoy two outstanding camp sites.

Camp first night at Buck island lake, then second night at Rubicon springs.

Buck island is all open camping, first come first serve
Some of the better sites at Rubicon springs can be reserved for a small fee.

We have went in together for a room at South Lake Tahoe to store doors for the trip if you want to run doorless.

Weekdays are less crowded than weekends.

Be sure to check the Jeep Jamboree, and Jeepers Jamboree schedule so you font go when they are. If you go right after ine of them, the trail is nearly turned to a cobblestone road vy all the rock stacking they do, so its less challenging.

There's more, but im sure others will chime in as well.
Nailed it! Great advice here

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I’m interested as well. I’ve camped remotely lots in my life. As for the trail itself for those that have wheeled it, would a stock Gladiator be able to make it on the factory 33” rubber? Or do I need to start planning a lift and bigger rubber before then? September would work for me!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
You can make it but it’s would be as fun. You’ll end up taking longer and dragging over everything. I agree with the lift and 37” tire recommendation.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you remember if there was snow on the Slab going up?
Most of the western slope is clear or at least, clear enough to be passable in the summer, even if there's snow. It's the back side of Cadillac Hill that'll stop you in your tracks.

Brute

Hooked
Most of the western slope is clear or at least, clear enough to be passable in the summer, even if there's snow. It's the back side of Cadillac Hill that'll stop you in your tracks.
I meant on this particular trip...July 4th. I've never seen this video...short sleeves, shorts, no doors and snow on the ground...likin' it...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I meant on this particular trip...July 4th. I've never seen this video...short sleeves, shorts, no doors and snow on the ground...likin' it...
There was snow everywhere but only really tough on Cadillac Hill.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dang.... that's definitely not the way I'd like to run that trail. Was that the crazy year where the Sierras got some 600+" or is that pretty normal?
I think you're thinking of 2017. This video was made back in 2011. Snow blocking the back side of Cadillac Hill well into June is pretty normal.

desertrunner

So in July on the calendar they have listed JJUSA (jeep jamboree) then the jeepers jamboree then in August another jeep jamboree and some UTV conquest. Gonna be interesting sliding in there around those groups

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So in July on the calendar they have listed JJUSA (jeep jamboree) then the jeepers jamboree then in August another jeep jamboree and some UTV conquest. Gonna be interesting sliding in there around those groups
Jeepers Jamboree is the only one that you definitely can't run the trail at the same week. They own the trail during that time. The other events will just make it challenging.

Top Bottom