RPMSteering Long Arm

Ddays

Hooked
Seems that everyone is coming out with LA kits these days. I know nothing of this kit, but I can't say I'm a big fan of aluminum lower arms. If the Jeep isn't drug over rocks they're probably just fine, but if you plan on any crawling those links will get trashed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose it depends on how you plan on using your Jeep. Big lift and hard and fast across the desert? Long arms are great although, I'm not really a fan of 3-links. Slow rock crawling? Long arms are way over rated and totally unnecessary.

changyangjlurd

I’m more into rock crawling and thought long arms will do me some good. I thought 3 links will give me more articulations? I am curious how well aluminum arms do too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m more into rock crawling and thought long arms will do me some good. I thought 3 links will give me more articulations? I am curious how well aluminum arms do too.
Long arms are designed to correct suspension geometry on Jeeps with a tall lift. This helps to improve on pavement ride quality on pavement as well as handling when bombing across the desert. Exactly how it's supposed to help with rock crawling is something nobody ever seems to be able to explain. Not saying they're bad, just not needed. As far as articulation goes, I can't say that my 4-links have ever limited mine...

main.php

However, I have seen where 1 broken link on a 3-link setup can leave you high and dry.

Everything breaks if you play hard enough and with 4-links, you can still wheel your way off the trail and back home again with a broken one.

Oh, and I should note, the Jeep in the pic you're looking at is running aluminum arms. Billet aluminum but they worked great.

As Eddie mentioned they are overrated for rock crawling and like he said… you break a link with a 3 link setup and you’re fucked and so is everyone else in the group. Also, going to a 4 link in the rear gets really expensive really fast far beyond the components of Dons already heavily overpriced kit. Moving the tank isn’t cheap and before you know it… you’re $15k plus into a 3/4link setup and you haven’t even addressed the issue of now needing to outboard your rear shocks because they won’t clear the new fuel tank you just moved.
Here is a shot of my JKU on 38’s and Rock Krawler X factor short arms… I get plenty of travel and I have no issues driving my jeep 1000 miles to and from events.

Attachments

• FA03801B-3F3C-4428-9AF5-633362531B4B.jpeg
    FA03801B-3F3C-4428-9AF5-633362531B4B.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 7

changyangjlurd

Thank you guys. I will probably stay away from the 3 links, but I am still interested in a long arm for improve on pavement ride quality as well as future desert or dune rides. What’s the best long arm kit I can get?

Thank you guys. I will probably stay away from the 3 links, but I am still interested in a long arm for improve on pavement ride quality as well as future desert or dune rides. What’s the best long arm kit I can get?
This is a much more logical approach. Lots of people run EVO mfg high clearance kits and they’re great. I know a few people running the kit from Hepta MFG which is damn near identical to the EVO kit with some minor tweaks. Either way you go, I’d strongly suggest weld on and high clearance.

changyangjlurd

This is a much more logical approach. Lots of people run EVO mfg high clearance kits and they’re great. I know a few people running the kit from Hepta MFG which is damn near identical to the EVO kit with some minor tweaks. Either way you go, I’d strongly suggest weld on and high clearance.
I’m actually interested in the EVO high clearance long arms. Read some forums about it and seem like a lot of them had issues. Is it a thing in the pass?

I’m actually interested in the EVO high clearance long arms. Read some forums about it and seem like a lot of them had issues. Is it a thing in the pass?
The only “issues” I have see were brackets breaking on the frame side BUT from the pictures I have seen, it appeared to be lack of and/or poor welds from the EVO bracket to the frame during install. Other than that, I’m not aware of others.

Exactly what Deciple Offroad just said. It’s been an install error more than anything. Inspect all the welds on the brackets ahead of time and make sure they get installed correctly and you will have nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom