Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

I know Luai personally, have done two JKX with him. His LJ is badass......however, that LJ has as much custom work as his JK. So it ain't even close to stock or off the shelf parts and is closer to his JK despite what you think. By stock, maybe he means motor and trans, everything else is aftermarket. Sorry, but the JK 4 door still has more room than the LJ. If you are comparing a stock JK, LJ, TJ, YJ, to a built up crawler, well then sure a dealer can service the stock vehicles. But in 4 yeas of ownership with my built up "rock crawler" I have yet to need the dealer to look at anything left with what's stock, and I have yet to do anything other than regular maintenance to what is modified. Do some research on what is getting broken and replaced on jeeps and you will find its the stock, weaker, inferior components. You upgrade to better aftermarket pieces so you aren't visiting dealers. I am not going to argue fuel consumption, I know what I know as fact from not only my personal vehicles, but the vehicles (hilux, landcruisers, land rovers, pinzguers, gelanderwagons) I have crossed foreign countries with, vehicle with much smaller tires still running tubes on split rims . I'm not going off of a friend who has a vehicle that once told me how great his mileage is with 33"s

Next question......

So in other words your telling me that you can take your JK on the same overland trip he did his LJ over 2k miles in unmarked land and still be as efficient as him? I really dont think so. Im not doubting you cant do it, but I am doubting you will be as efficient because that rig is intended for that kind of work.

Last edited:
Like WOL stated, he has bigger tires and lift to do more complicated trails and be more efficient on them.

well Overlanders have roof racks and snorkels to have more cargo room as they will need it on long adventures. Making them more efficient for their intent. And if a deep water crossing is came across, your gonna wish you had a snorkel. And thats the point, being ready to handle that situation if its thrown at you, as most overlanders dont have a clew about whats over the next hill.

For you guys to say they are not needed is your own opinion. You cant say what others need, what their plan is, and what the intention for their roof rack and snorkel is. We all build our rigs to fit our needs. And if that means having these things, then let it be. No need to bash on their build and say they are not needed.

No one said your guys rigs aren't capable of doing these things. I clearly stated they wont be efficient to one thats build is intended for this kind of wheeling and travel.

Last edited:
You guys are right. I dont have a built JK like yours. But here is someone who does. Lo2ay. He has a jk built like yours and an LJ made for overlanding. And yes he has been on JKX trip here in co. I asked him what separates the two and would he take his JK on an overland that he takes his LJ.

That's what I thought. :rolleyes2:
BTW, I know Luai personally and have wheeled with him.

I get 21 MPG city and 14-16 when in 4 wheel drive. And that is loaded. Then again I dont have all the extra weight you guys have.

Fully loaded? I'm impressed. I never got more than 14-16 MPG in my 2012 back when it was bone stock, totally unloaded and with me driving conservatively. :crazyeyes:

And from the post above, someone with the experience in both types of vehicles clearly states one serves a certain point and best at what its made for.

So I guess, unless you have both rigs and have done long overlands in both, you cant really compare the two. Obviously he has, and clearly states the difference and purpose of an "overland Build"

Well, if he clearly states that, he must be right. Me, I have no experience with anything. :grayno:

Do some research on what is getting broken and replaced on jeeps and you will find its the stock, weaker, inferior components. You upgrade to better aftermarket pieces so you aren't visiting dealers.

Amen brotha :yup:

So in other words your telling me that you can take your JK on the same overland trip he did his LJ over 2k miles in unmarked land and still be as efficient as him? I really dont think so. Im not doubting you cant do it, but I am doubting you will be as efficient because that rig is intended for that kind of work.

Well of course you don't think so because you've already convinced yourself that it can't be done or at least, not as "efficiently". :crazyeyes:

So my point is, if you know your main intent in owning a jeep is to travel and explore, weather 4 wheeling is intended or not, there is no point in needing a jeep with 40" tires and all the extra upgrades to climb boulders. Therefore you build your rig to your needs. And if that includes overlanding and being totally self sufficient and do these adventures more efficiently.

But I am totally self sufficient and do adventures like that "more efficiently" AND can do even more. That is the point - I can do MORE, more effictively, more reliably and more comfortably.

Like WOL stated, he has bigger tires and lift to do more complicated trails and be more efficient on them.

No, I said that I could ALSO do more complicated trails, NOT that they are the only things I do.

well Overlanders have roof racks and snorkels to have more cargo room as they will need it on long adventures. Making them more efficient for their intent. And if a deep water crossing is came across, your gonna wish you had a snorkel. And thats the point, being ready to handle that situation if its thrown at you, as most overlanders dont have a clew about whats over the next hill.

But, I already carry everything I need including a camping gear, supplies, a fridge, welder, tools, fluids and everything I need to get off the trail and get you off too. As far as water crossing go, I bet I've taken my Jeep through deeper water than you will ever get a chance to and without a snorkel. :yup:

Efficient in what way? That is a subjective term, define this. Can my JK go where his LJ can go. F@*# yes it can! In fact I did it in vehicles as stock as you can get way before Lo2ay was born into the world of unlimited wealth to build anything money can build. My rig can do that task with ease, then after I finish a 2k run, it will do it again the next week, then the next week after that, and then I will change my Royal Purple Synthetic oil (future sponsor plug, I hope) and do it again.. Almost everyone on this forum has a vehicle capable of doing that. It comes down to the driver and crew to cross a span of land mass unaided, not the vehicle. People all over the world in third world countries do it every day with no road whatsoever in Toyota corollas, with chickens and goats inside the car, and six people riding in the trunk. That's how I know my jeep can do it. I think thats what some of us find so funny is that people swear you can only cross the globe with a "roof rack and snorkel". Well my jeep can do it, and when I see that cool rock garden with Prius size boulders and dry waterfalls leading to a new trail, I can venture down that without worry of breaking, have a metric shit ton of fun, then return to the unimproved road to drive to next event. Can an overland rig do that, probably not.

Hey man, I am going to write this as professionally and nicely as I can.....you are showing your inexperience/ignorance with this back and forth here in this thread. No one is intentionally trying to beat you up, we are actually really friendly people who want to learn more and share what we already know as fact. We are honestly trying to explain to you that several of us do this for our practical living. We have gotten to the level of our build through a lot of trial and error of what worked and didn't. This isn't internet wheeling ninjas hiding behind keyboards, writing about things that we lived vicariously through magazine articles, okay maybe a few do that here, but this truly is a forum of guys and girls that have decads and decades of knowledge of wheeling, building, modifying, mechanical abilities, breaking parts, fixing parts, on and on..... No one knows it all, but many of us can definitely spot incorrect.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. :rolleyes2:
BTW, I know Luai personally and have wheeled with him.

Fully loaded? I'm impressed. I never got more than 14-16 MPG in my 2012 back when it was bone stock, totally unloaded and with me driving conservatively. :crazyeyes:

Well, if he clearly states that, he must be right. Me, I have no experience with anything. :grayno:

It depends on what your doing. Ya if your crawling rocks and in 4 low the whole time of course not. But when your exploring and throwing your 4 wheel drive in only when needed then you have a different story.

Im laughing, because I know you know just as well as I do that their is not much people out there with as much experience as you when it comes to wheeling. And I get it, you have your rig built to your needs. But saying a roof rack and snorkel is not needed without knowing the type of needs and wheeling this person is building his rig for makes no sense. If he wants to build his rig to handle certain situations, and still have extra cargo room for whatever he wants, let him be.

I get where your coming from, a lot of people who dont wheel much and dont know what their talking about will say, I am going for the expedition/overland "LOOK".. But when you get people involved who's life is overlanding you get a whole differen't story. Im not saying I am a big overlander. But there is a difference between building your rig for overlanding and rock crawling. Your either A. building your rig for trail runs, rock crawling, and mainly 4 wheeling. Or B. Building your rig for extended travel weather 4 wheeling is intended or not.

Okay, I see you added more to your last post....

well Overlanders have roof racks and snorkels to have more cargo room as they will need it on long adventures. Making them more efficient for their intent. And if a deep water crossing is came across, your gonna wish you had a snorkel.

What's the deepest water you've crossed?

And thats the point, being ready to handle that situation if its thrown at you, as most overlanders dont have a clew about whats over the next hill.

Right, and guys like me just like to recklessly climb over those hills and not be ready to handle situations thown at us. :crazyeyes:

For you guys to say they are not needed is your own opinion. You cant say what others need, what their plan is, and what the intention for their roof rack and snorkel is. We all build our rigs to fit our needs. And if that means having these things, then let it be.

"Need?" I don't ever recall ever saying anything about "need". To be clear, it's guys like you who do all the declairing as to what is needed and what isn't.

No need to bash on their build and say they are not needed.

You'll forgive me but, it seems to me that you're the one doing the bashing and saying what is or isn't needed or what's "efficient" or not. Me, I couldn't care less what you feel you "need" to go exploring or camping. :yup:

No one said your guys rigs aren't capable of doing these things. I clearly stated they wont be efficient to one thats build is intended for this kind of wheeling and travel.

Exactly, YOU are the one who is clearly stating those things even though you have NO personal experience to back it up.

Amen brotha :yup:

Well of course you don't think so because you've already convinced yourself that it can't be done or at least, not as "efficiently". :crazyeyes:

But I am totally self sufficient and do adventures like that "more efficiently" AND can do even more. That is the point - I can do MORE, more effictively, more reliably and more comfortably.

No, I said that I could ALSO do more complicated trails, NOT that they are the only things I do.

But, I already carry everything I need including a camping gear, supplies, a fridge, welder, tools, fluids and everything I need to get off the trail and get you off too. As far as water crossing go, I bet I've taken my Jeep through deeper water than you will ever get a chance to and without a snorkel. :yup:

You also have yo realize you have the time and money to build your rig for a jeep like yours, thats capable of handling anything you throw its way, but to the average jeep owner, you dont have that option. Your not going to waste money on Oversized tires and other things when your intent is long adventure travel. If you do both, and can afford it, then money well spent. Just like your rig. Money well spent. But for me, Im not going to spend extra money on huge tires and other things to run them, when my main intent is to travel, explore back country, mexico, be self sufficient and lightly modified enough to get me through most obstacles. I have a Jeep because I love them, they already come capable enough to handle more than 50% of the trails in the US and it will take less money to build it to handle more.

Last edited:
The funniest part of this whole thing is most these posts are said tongue and cheek. Nobody is bashing anybody. Don't get all hurt and bent out shape.

You want a snorkel, go right ahead. Hell, you want to add fins and a propeller, you can do that too. Are there some rigs and some situations that would benefit from fins and prop, absolutely! :crazyeyes: But it doesn't mean they are the most practical of mods and would be used as much as others.

Personally, this is the best overlander mod in my book.;)

3403817-convertible-jeep-protected-from-rain-with-large-umbrella.jpg

You're either A. building your rig for trail runs, rock crawling, and mainly 4 wheeling. Or B. Building your rig for extended travel weather 4 wheeling is intended or not.

You build a rig to be dependable and strong first. Once you do that it will serve any purpose you want it to and be reliable! ;)

Or maybe this is now my favorite overland mod??? Can't decide as when overlanding, MPG is ultra important and with this new aerodynamics, I could break the 45 MPG ceiling thus reducing my need to have on-board gerry can, thus reducing my overall weight and allowing for increased storage for beef jerky.

FFD089203C84A3DF76E1916574D5B.jpg

...We have gotten to the level of our build through a lot of trial and error of what worked and didn't.

Wait, you learned through trial and error? :thinking: :D

Im laughing, because I know you know just as well as I do that their is not much people out there with as much experience as you when it comes to wheeling. And I get it, you have your rig built to your needs.

Actually, I would never claim ot know anything and I don't know if you get it or understand why my rigs are built the way they are. My first love is first and formost exploring. It always has been and still is - the rock crawling is just icing on the cake. We started building up our rigs because we started to come across obstacles that prevented us from getting to point B. If you actually do some of the exploring we've done and still do, you might start to understand why we have what we have.

But saying a roof rack and snorkel is not needed without knowing the type of needs and wheeling this person is building his rig for makes no sense. If he wants to build his rig to handle certain situations, and still have extra cargo room for whatever he wants, let him be.

I think you missed the part where I've actually admitted to owning a roof rack in the past and where I said it was needed to do what I wanted in my TJ. In spite of what you seem to think, I don't have a problem with roof racks or snorkels but a lot of overlander types have a problem with big axles, big tires or just about anything else I have on my rig. Think about that for a minute.

I get where your coming from, a lot of people who dont wheel much and dont know what their talking about will say, I am going for the expedition/overland "LOOK".. But when you get people involved who's life is overlanding you get a whole differen't story. Im not saying I am a big overlander. But there is a difference between building your rig for overlanding and rock crawling. Your either A. building your rig for trail runs, rock crawling, and mainly 4 wheeling. Or B. Building your rig for extended travel weather 4 wheeling is intended or not.

Actually, I don't think you do get where I'm coming from. For me, there is only one build - the best you can afford.

Okay, I see you added more to your last post....

What's the deepest water you've crossed?

Right, and guys like me just like to recklessly climb over those hills and not be ready to handle situations thown at us. :crazyeyes:

"Need?" I don't ever recall ever saying anything about "need". To be clear, it's guys like you who do all the declairing as to what is needed and what isn't.

You'll forgive me but, it seems to me that you're the one doing the bashing and saying what is or isn't needed or what's "efficient" or not. Me, I couldn't care less what you feel you "need" to go exploring or camping. :yup:

Exactly, YOU are the one who is clearly stating those things even though you have NO personal experience to back it up.

Deepest water is probably up to the grill. There is plenty of water crossing ive came across but didnt attempt because it was deeper than the hood.

I simply posted a picture of Lo2ays jeeps and got a big reaction from others asking why he needed an extra jeep. Saying what can his LJ do that his JK cant. All I did was reply to why his LJ is more Efficient according to what he told me.

You also have yo realize you have the time and money to build your rig for a jeep like yours, thats capable of handling anything you throw its way, but to the average jeep owner, you dont have that option. Your not going to waste money on Oversized tires and other things when your intent is long adventure travel. If you do both, and can afford it, then money well spent. Just like your rig. Money well spent. But for me, Im not going to spend extra money on huge tires and other things to run them, when my main intent is to travel, explore back country, mexico, be self sufficient and lightly modified enough to get me through most obstacles. I have a Jeep because I love them, they already come capable enough to handle more than 50% of the trails in the US and it will take less money to build it to handle more.

You ASSUME that I've always had the time and money to build rigs like mine. You also ASSUME that I've never wheeled with a Jeep that isn't as modified as them. Nobody is saying what you should buy or what you shouldn't especially if you can't afford it. In the end, you are still building up your Jeep to the best of your ability and based on what you can afford. But, to suggest there needs to be some kind of distinction or lable that separates us by what you're willing to spend and what I am is just plain silly to me. In my opinion, we are all living the same wayalife. But hey, that's just me :yup:

The funniest part of this whole thing is most these posts are said tongue and cheek. Nobody is bashing anybody. Don't get all hurt and bent out shape.

Yup, we're all just here to have a good time. It might be easier for guys like JAGS to say this but only because he knows guys like me personally. :yup:

You build a rig to be dependable and strong first. Once you do that it will serve any purpose you want it to and be reliable! ;)

That's the way I see it :yup:

Or maybe this is now my favorite overland mod??? Can't decide as when overlanding, MPG is ultra important and with this new aerodynamics, I could break the 45 MPG ceiling thus reducing my need to have on-board gerry can, thus reducing my overall weight and allowing for increased storage for beef jerky.

View attachment 12421

Okay, you're starting to take this a bit too far now :icon_crazy:

Deepest water is probably up to the grill. There is plenty of water crossing ive came across but didnt attempt because it was deeper than the hood.

I don't have a shot of me but only because I was the first through. However, here's a shot of Mel in EVO 1 which is pretty much the same as Moby. Please note that his 40" tires are completely submerged and he's still taking on water - Oh, and please note that he does not have a snorkel just like me...
main.php

I simply posted a picture of Lo2ays jeeps and got a big reaction from others asking why he needed an extra jeep. Saying what can his LJ do that his JK cant. All I did was reply to why his LJ is more Efficient according to what he told me.

It's all good. I have 2 JK's that are built almost the same and the only reason why they are exactly the same is because I can't afford to get the newer one there just yet. There is a reason why I build my Jeeps the way they are and that's because I want them to be efficient in ALL conditions ALL the time :yup:

Wait, you learned through trial and error? :thinking: :D

Actually, I would never claim ot know anything and I don't know if you get it or understand why my rigs are built the way they are. My first love is first and formost exploring. It always has been and still is - the rock crawling is just icing on the cake. We started building up our rigs because we started to come across obstacles that prevented us from getting to point B. If you actually do some of the exploring we've done and still do, you might start to understand why we have what we have.

I think you missed the part where I've actually admitted to owning a roof rack in the past and where I said it was needed to do what I wanted in my TJ. In spite of what you seem to think, I don't have a problem with roof racks or snorkels but a lot of overlander types have a problem with big axles, big tires or just about anything else I have on my rig. Think about that for a minute.

Actually, I don't think you do get where I'm coming from. For me, there is only one build - the best you can afford.

And if you ask me, your rig falls in the overland category because its capable of doing it.

I edited this post. No need to argue over who has what and what the intent of the rig is for. To each their own and everyone has their own opinions and build their rig to their own needs.

Im going to call my jk the pony wagon from now on. Because I can and im building it to look like a pony.:bleh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom