Ride quality of coilovers vs regular coil springs

WJCO

Meme King
For those of you that run coilovers and still use your Jeeps a decent amount of time on the pavement, is the ride quality still decent? I'll admit I don't know much at all about coilovers but if I decide to build up the JT, I'm going to go big and do it once. With that being said, this truck is still used for long road trips and my family nor I would appreciate the extra cost spending if the ride isn't nice.

Once I do this, I'll be going 40s so I'm probably going to be running 5-6 inches of lift. I don't want to regret getting coil springs and wish I'd gone coilovers. And I don't want to get coilovers and then wish I had just gone with regular springs.

I understand the benefits off-road and understand the extra maintenance with coilovers. My main question is ride quality on longer trips on the highway.

I will likely do bolt ons and I will definitely do long arms.

CalSgt

Hooked
The noise issue...do the optional new glides/slides improve noise enough to reduce this issue. Have you heard both to know if it’s helpful? Anyone else used both?

I haven't used both, just the King sliders they come with. I only noticed the noise for the first thousand miles or so, they significantly quieted down after being exercised a little. I don't hear them at all on the road now, only flexing at slow speed.

Upvote 0

jdofmemi

Please point me in the direction I can find crate 60's for 10-12 K...

Everything I've seen range from 16-20 K, Dynatrac, Spicer, Currie, Spidertrax, Fusion,
If you have the tools, space, know how, and time, you can get Ford Super Duty axles done up to fit in that price range.

Last year there were $12K UD60 deals to be found, but it don't seem like there are any longer.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the tools, space, know how, and time, you can get Ford Super Duty axles done up to fit in that price range.

Last year there were $12K UD60 deals to be found, but it don't seem like there are any longer.
You can still get UD60's for about $15k complete and you'll even get them in hand in just a few days.

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked

Yeah, I've considered that... Buying some junkyard axles, 60's or a 60/14 bolt combo and adding some Artec swap brackets, gears, lockers, etc.

I do fear I would end up with compatibility issues, traction control and ABS lights and be fighting them for the life of the vehicle.

Upvote 0
10-12k minimum for Dana 60s front and rear. Plus labor. Ouch.
Kinda wish Dana had a front option similar to the PR44.
Yep.

Do it. Axles are only a couple OT’s away.
You shut your mouth when your talking to me. Bad influencer

If axles are your hang up, just don't run tires bigger than 37". Mel and I have been talking about this at length and the fact of the matter is... Dana finally got their shit together and have made pretty decent axles for the JL and JT. With the exception of the rare axle breaks at the FAD and ALL of them were caused impacts that could be considered collisions at significant speeds, we simply have not seen the kind of bends, breaks or failure that we used to on the JK and it's been over 3 years since the JL came out. I saw my first JK axle break within months of it being released and tons of bent C's. We've seen NONE of that on the JL and JT. Heck, I'm still running the factory rear axle on my JL and really, I'd still be running the front as well if Dynatrac hadn't given us a PR44 to help promote it. If anything, I really wish I still had my factory axle as... I know it's sacrilege to say it but I really liked the FAD and mainly because I could add in more positive caster and without having to deal with driveline vibes.
👍
That is great news. Of course, like you’ve seen. All the talk is how the front axles are a ticking time bomb, waiting to snap in half. Funny how the crash that occurs to break them gets glossed over. I won’t go bigger than 37” and most likely won’t even regear. So this is putting me at ease.
fml I don’t need coil overs. But now it’s all I’ll think about. 🤣😂

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
👍
That is great news. Of course, like you’ve seen. All the talk is how the front axles are a ticking time bomb, waiting to snap in half. Funny how the crash that occurs to break them gets glossed over. I won’t go bigger than 37” and most likely won’t even regear. So this is putting me at ease.
That's what I hate most about the internet and maybe more so, social media. The only things that seem to get love are train wrecks or sex. It's difficult if not impossible to find quality information and mainly because... well, it's BORING. The funny thing is, guys like Mel have everything to gain by pushing the need to buy axles but even he would be the first to say, they just aren't needed for 37's or smaller. And, this is coming from a guy who broke his front axle in half! Of course, he would also be the first to admit that he drove it into a boulder at 35+ mph.

So yes, I think you can put your mind at ease. :)

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
👍
That's what I hate most about the internet and maybe more so, social media. The only things that seem to get love are train wrecks or sex. It's difficult if not impossible to find quality information and mainly because... well, it's BORING. The funny thing is, guys like Mel have everything to gain by pushing the need to buy axles but even he would be the first to say, they just aren't needed for 37's or smaller. And, this is coming from a guy who broke his front axle in half! Of course, he would also be the first to admit that he drove it into a boulder at 35+ mph.

So yes, I think you can put your mind at ease. :)

Of course once you get 37s, you'll want 40s. And here we are back at square 1..... ;)

EnormousDetailedIsopod-size_restricted.gif

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
And so it goes.

"I'm never going to 40s"
Days later, searching for the best deal on a set of 40s🤣🤣🤣
Exactly why I'm leaving the jeep as is on 35s. If/when I go more, I'm just going to 40s. Which means axles, which means new wheels, which means a taller lift, which means some way to get the spare tire up on top without fucking up cargo space, etc. Goes from a lot of money to A LOT of money. All in the name of playing around on the weekends and drooling at driveway time on the weekdays. Such is the Jeep life.

Upvote 0

wjtstudios

Hooked
Exactly why I'm leaving the jeep as is on 35s. If/when I go more, I'm just going to 40s. Which means axles, which means new wheels, which means a taller lift, which means some way to get the spare tire up on top without fucking up cargo space, etc. Goes from a lot of money to A LOT of money. All in the name of playing around on the weekends and drooling at driveway time on the weekdays. Such is the Jeep life.
The drool is worth every penny

Upvote 0

Ddays

Hooked
42's are the new 40's ;)

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
42's are the new 40's ;)
Welcome to the american way. When everybody and their mother does it, we have to one up it to the next level. As much as I'd love to have 42s, 40s are plenty. In 4 years, it will be 44s, then 46s. Just like spinner rims. I remember when 16 inch rims were the shit. Then 18s, then 20s, now an escalade has 22s from factory. It will never end.

Upvote 0

Ddays

Hooked
Welcome to the american way. When everybody and their mother does it, we have to one up it to the next level. As much as I'd love to have 42s, 40s are plenty. In 4 years, it will be 44s, then 46s. Just like spinner rims. I remember when 16 inch rims were the shit. Then 18s, then 20s, now an escalade has 22s from factory. It will never end.

Gotta keep up with the cool kids on social media

Upvote 0

Bierpower

Hooked
As much as I agree about keeping up with the cool kids, I believe they are going to the giant wheels, partially because an escalade weighs as much as an HD pick up, and they need to put monster brake rotors on them to get the safety rating up. I had 16" wheels on that yellow jeep and couldn't do brake upgrades after the V8 swap unless I got new wheels and tires.

Upvote 0

Bullwinckle

Hooked
If axles are your hang up, just don't run tires bigger than 37". Mel and I have been talking about this at length and the fact of the matter is... Dana finally got their shit together and have made pretty decent axles for the JL and JT. With the exception of the rare axle breaks at the FAD and ALL of them were caused impacts that could be considered collisions at significant speeds, we simply have not seen the kind of bends, breaks or failure that we used to on the JK and it's been over 3 years since the JL came out. I saw my first JK axle break within months of it being released and tons of bent C's. We've seen NONE of that on the JL and JT. Heck, I'm still running the factory rear axle on my JL and really, I'd still be running the front as well if Dynatrac hadn't given us a PR44 to help promote it. If anything, I really wish I still had my factory axle as... I know it's sacrilege to say it but I really liked the FAD and mainly because I could add in more positive caster and without having to deal with driveline vibes.

That's good to hear on the axles. Looks like I can keep it on 37s for quite a while and save up for new axles later on if I need to upgrade.

Upvote 0

JAGS

Hooked
Please point me in the direction I can find crate 60's for 10-12 K...

Everything I've seen range from 16-20 K, Dynatrac, Spicer, Currie, Spidertrax, Fusion,

I haven’t priced them out recently. That’s what they were around when mel was first talking about them. Seems eddie is saying they’ve gone up to around $15k fully built/ready.

Upvote 0

JAGS

Hooked
Yep.

You shut your mouth when your talking to me. Bad influencer

👍

You only wheel a couple times a year. Might as well go all in. 😜

I’m in the same boat.

Upvote 0

TrailHunter

Hooked
I won’t go bigger than 37” and most likely won’t even regear. So this is putting me at ease.
I could be wrong.. but I see you using your rig for exploring/camping/family trips/ to get out fishing/ a daily driver & as a weekend warrior... I say keep it simple and fun to drive... make drivability, durability & Longevity the priority. A quality lift, decent shocks, Steering upgrades.. 35’s or 37’s and drive it.. A lot. You start going big/expensive and it’s gonna be parked like the JK was... for one reason or another.

Upvote 0

jdofmemi

I could be wrong.. but I see you using your rig for exploring/camping/family trips/ to get out fishing/ a daily driver & as a weekend warrior... I say keep it simple and fun to drive... make drivability, durability & Longevity the priority. A quality lift, decent shocks, Steering upgrades.. 35’s or 37’s and drive it.. A lot. You start going big/expensive and it’s gonna be parked like the JK was... for one reason or another.
☝️TRuth☝️
The voice of reason has entered the discussion.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom