Regearing questions

TennJK

I am currently still running stock 3.21 gears on my 2008 jku. I was just looking for some advice and some pricing on regearing. I am on 35s and it feels like I am towing a boat all of the time. Any input is welcome. Thanks guys

JakeJK

I am currently still running stock 3.21 gears on my 2008 jku. I was just looking for some advice and some pricing on regearing. I am on 35s and it feels like I am towing a boat all of the time. Any input is welcome. Thanks guys

5.38 I'd imaging would be a good choice I think people usually pay about 1200 all said and done, don't quote me on that last part

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
5.38 I'd imaging would be a good choice I think people usually pay about 1200 all said and done, don't quote me on that last part

Lol Nooooooooo 5.38 is waaayyyyy to deep unless your going to run 40's. Even then you would most likely need new axles to be able to hold that big of a gear. The op would need to run 4.88 to bring him back to stock. 5.13 if he plans on doing 37's in the future.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Standard or auto transmission? I noticed a big improvement in power when I moved from 4.10 to 5.13 on 35s with my 07 auto. 5.38 would leave you're ring gear very prone to failure and is not recommended

Last edited:

mpkelley20

Yeah...4.88 or 5.13 would be about right. As for cost, unless you are lucky and live near a place like Northridge and depending on what part of the country you are, expect to pay $500 an axle for labor. In MA where I am, it's even higher than that at most places. Some states might be less than that though.

Gears and install kits aren't bad if you call a sponsor on here. NR has great package specials.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
. As for cost, unless you are lucky and live near a place like Northridge and depending on what part of the country you are, expect to pay $500 an axle for labor. In MA where I am, it's even higher than that at most places. Some states might be less than that though.

New Mexico is even worse. Bigger name shops charge about $800 an axle. Crazy how much the price varies.

JakeJK

Lol Nooooooooo 5.38 is waaayyyyy to deep unless your going to run 40's. Even then you would most likely need new axles to be able to hold that big of a gear. The op would need to run 4.88 to bring him back to stock. 5.13 if he plans on doing 37's in the future.

Damn I definitely was thinking 5.13 don't know why I put 5.38 haha ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442542145.836052.jpg

munstie

Running 5.13 on a 2011 Jku sport with 35 Toyos huge difference going from 3.73. Very happy with this setup.

TennJK

Standard or auto transmission? I noticed a big improvement in power when I moved from 4.10 to 5.13 on 35s with my 07 auto. 5.38 would leave you're ring gear very prone to failure and is not recommended

It's an auto. I am looking for that big improvement because I do a lot of highway miles

TennJK

Yeah...4.88 or 5.13 would be about right. As for cost, unless you are lucky and live near a place like Northridge and depending on what part of the country you are, expect to pay $500 an axle for labor. In MA where I am, it's even higher than that at most places. Some states might be less than that though.

Gears and install kits aren't bad if you call a sponsor on here. NR has great package specials.

And a sponsor? I am interested in what that is. I am just trying to get the best bang for my buck but not cheap out and end up in a bigger mess than I was before. Thanks guys

WJCO

Meme King
Most shop charge $400 to $600 per axle for labor. Plan on vehicle being down at least a full day, maybe 2 days, just depending on shop load.

S_wall98

Did you ever get any numbers locally?
I know of an offroad shop in Bristol that does regear but haven't gotten a price yet.
I talked to a couple performance shops in Johnson City and got labor costs which seemed high for the area, one was around 800 to 1100/axle. I reiterated that I would bring the gears thinking he misheard but that wasn't the case. :doh:

austin160

I am not sure what your mechanical abilities are, but if you are mechanically inclined re-gearing is not that big of a job. There is plenty of information out there on how to do it, if done correctly it can be done in a weekend easy (that includes beer breaks). I re-geared my last YJ to 4.56 in a weekend for 450$ in gears. Just a thought, if you have the time, place, and aptitude.

WJCO

Meme King
Did you ever get any numbers locally?
I know of an offroad shop in Bristol that does regear but haven't gotten a price yet.
I talked to a couple performance shops in Johnson City and got labor costs which seemed high for the area, one was around 800 to 1100/axle. I reiterated that I would bring the gears thinking he misheard but that wasn't the case. :doh:

I am not sure what your mechanical abilities are, but if you are mechanically inclined re-gearing is not that big of a job. There is plenty of information out there on how to do it, if done correctly it can be done in a weekend easy (that includes beer breaks). I re-geared my last YJ to 4.56 in a weekend for 450$ in gears. Just a thought, if you have the time, place, and aptitude.

You'll also need a press, a dial indicator, an inch pound torque wrench, etc.

Top Bottom